Calipari to Kentucky?

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Rocks22
Hall of Fame

Post by Rocks22 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:07 am

A Globe writer with an agenda? Shocking! :wink:

You have to admit, the kid working at Foot Locker not knowing is pretty bad though.

I hear you, Memphis playing here would show they still want to be a national program, even is the town sucks for college sports. I'm just not getting my hopes up. And sadly, I think attendance for the thing will not be as good now. Memphis had a good chance of being the #1 team in the country coming into that game. That and Cal would've made it a much easier sell.

kdogg8173
Senior

Post by kdogg8173 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:12 am

Its probably why footlockers are closing everywhere.

Seriously, this guy probably interviewed a group of senior citizens and a few international kids from MIT and called it a day.

Yeah the attendance probably took a hit, if Umass starts hot maybe that will change. I still don't think memphis cancels though. Kentucky canceled to get another home game. I'm not sure if thats as advantageous to memphis.

Dickie Dunn
Junior

Post by Dickie Dunn » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:29 am

The Globe's coverage of the event was pedestrian, at best, particularly given how much they usually love college sports (like, if BC was involved somehow).

Former Collegianite Dan Duggan dominated for the other paper in town.

But I agree ... I was there Thursday and the atmosphere was completely generated by the fan bases of the four schools involved. Out on the street or in the train station you barely knew there was anything going on inside.
I wrote this ... it's gotta be true.

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:43 am

Old Prospector wrote:Great article by our own Marty Dobrow:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4031804
A quality piece, certainly. But in fairness, a big chunk of this is just a re-write from Dobrow's Going Bigtime book.

From today's press conference:
“We already have a commitment from a 12-year-old. Stand up 12-year-old.” His son stands up.
http://johnclay.bloginky.com/

That's awesome stuff.

BostonBert
Junior

Post by BostonBert » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:07 pm

CapeCodBruiser wrote:We are looking for callers on Tuesday night 9pm to 10pm for the podcast. Sports knowledge not necessary. Topics will include NCAA, NHL and John Calipari's move to Kentucky...we even talk about Friday Night Lights. Have a few beers and check in with one of the top rated podcasts in Massachusetts.
Is this supposed to be serious?

Rocks22
Hall of Fame

Post by Rocks22 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:09 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote: But I agree ... I was there Thursday and the atmosphere was completely generated by the fan bases of the four schools involved.
Dickie actually agrees with something I posted? Wow, stunner. Oh wait, April Fools Day. I get it, funny guy.

Dickie Dunn
Junior

Post by Dickie Dunn » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:31 pm

This is why Rocks is my favorite poster here.

There, let that spin around in your head for a while.
I wrote this ... it's gotta be true.

Quinn
Junior

Post by Quinn » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:24 pm

bharms08 wrote:I remember every time Cal was on TV while at Memphis I would listen closely because he would always find a way to put in a plug for UMass. now that he's the "it" coach, i think we're going to hear a lot more talk about UMass in the national sports media. :
Perhaps. But he just spent more time at Memphis than UMass, and went to the final with Memphis. It won't shock me if when Calipari talks about success in the past, like he did at Memphis when referencing UMass...I think we'll here Memphis references.

Chris20
Hall of Fame

Post by Chris20 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:27 pm

I think we'll hear both. He referenced us today.
Last edited by Chris20 on Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris20
Hall of Fame

Post by Chris20 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:42 pm

I'm so sick of reading about how Calipari is dirty.....how "all his past NCAA issues make him a bad hire"....."he'll have KY on probation in no time".....etc.

How did one issue - of which he was 100% absolved of any responsibility - screw up his national reputation so badly? 99% of people actually think he has had multiple, serious NCAA violations and issues. It's like the accepted truth.

Only it's not.

So weird...

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:51 pm

Chris20 - have you read about WorldWide Wes?

Chris20
Hall of Fame

Post by Chris20 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:58 pm

Yes.

Sort of like Ernie Adams. Lots of speculation....nothing of substance. If I have heard so much about WWW, I'm thinking someone at the NCAA has as well. Why hasn't there been any big investigation? Memphis hoop is not USC football....the NCAA wouldn't shy away from cracking down on them.

Do i think Calipari has broken rules? Of course....like most people, I think the overwhelming majority of programs are guilty of something. The rules are so goofy and the competition so fierce, it's just part of the game that is played.

But the perception of him is out of whack with the reality.....or at least, the known reality. Which is a clean record.

Read some of what has been written this week....."Kentucky is turning a blind eye to all of his baggage...." "Kentucky obviously just looking to win at all costs..."

Was Louisville doing that when they hired Pitino? Who actually has some NCAA blemishes on his record?

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:08 pm

Chris20 - I'm generally a Calipari defender. I can't tell whether some of the KY writers are being intentionally ironic or just have gotten used to not having NCAA violations - being that the past twenty years have been about the only twenty years that KY was not in some sort of trouble.

Zenex
Freshman

Post by Zenex » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:39 am

Did you forget about the Emery package and Eddie Sutton's tenure that brought the NCAA in and eventually saw Rick Pitino become the coach at UK? If I am not mistaken that happened in the past 20 years didn't it?
"Reciprovocation is the spites of life."
Pogo, comic strip by Walt Kelly

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:06 am

late 80's sometime....probably within 20 years...whenever Pitino got hired represents the start of the longest scandal free era in UK basketball history since Rupp was hired.