UMass transfer portal news - 2024

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
JoleonLescottsHair
Hall of Fame

Re: UMass transfer portal news - 2024

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Tue Jun 18, 2024 6:06 pm

“Constant attacks and criticism.” OK. Sorry it is getting to you. I DO know how hard it is and am not questioning your commitment. But you could make it a lot easier by being more transparent HERE, not in the secret handshake meeting.

Yes, you have provided your phone number. Why not just answer a simple question like “was Keon offered a contract?” instead of pretending to not see the posts and then saying it is all available in the meetings. At least one member reached out and said Keon’s departure was a surprise to him. When another poster here asks who are the 9 you offer “website is being updated” before 10 names are quickly listed. It took me forcing the issue on Foster and Worthy before you would even let on - however vague- that all players figure into the mix at some level. It took a few of us asking to what extent the collective is involved in roster decisions before you stated none. None of that should be a mystery or proprietary info that even is necessary to ask, whatever the answer. We were told “we need to reach our goal” when there was a scramble to retain Cross. What was the goal? Hard not to feel this was a cynical attempt to pull in funds for a hopeless cause. Just a few examples. There’s more.

You may be convinced you are being transparent but it sure doesn’t come off as anything other than a secret club mentality, so it is of absolutely zero surprise that the club is coming to your defense (even though they rarely comment … 🤣) and calling me negative etc. But much more important, since the collective now has a significant impact on our program (congratulations), I believe alum and fans of the program have every right to be critical, particularly when being pitched for money that impacts the program’s fortunes, monetarily and on the court.

Finally, since my questions seem deeply wounding (not my intent), I will offer that I do know indeed how difficult fundraising and start ups are and I don’t question your commitment. That is obvious. We both love UMass. So I would modestly suggest that ignoring questions and talking down to potential donors about how they need to get on board and adapt to the new realities might not be the best strategy for securing their confidence, and that reserving every scrap of info for the member meetings is not only not necessary but rather counter productive. Mission and member benefits shouldn’t be confused.

And, yes, I enjoyed the Mathok sweatshirt. Fun and creative. Unfortunately it is a perfect example of how fleeting loyalty is and how rare actual TEAMS are. Remember when Frank was going to build with Freshmen? That lasted one season. And, because I have an old school view of these things, getting people like me to donate/join requires an a very different level of convincing and a different touch than currently practiced.

So…Respect. Just not so much for the dude who said I was seeking attention or part of the do nothing brigade. He can drop dead.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Tue Jun 18, 2024 6:19 pm

JoleonLescottsHair wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:22 pm
Also, what’s “bananas” to me is reflexively contributing to an enterprise when you have legitimate questions as to its value.
You have a right to your opinion, but this statement is totally out of touch. The value of The Collective is in getting us players that we otherwise would not be able to get.

JoleonLescottsHair
Hall of Fame

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Tue Jun 18, 2024 6:26 pm

Well, that is the theory and you could be right, but feel free to back that up with specific examples. Until someone demonstrates the case, there is nothing remotely out of touch about my statement.

Did Matt Cross, Josh Cohen, Jaylen Curry and DSH come to UMass with NIL contracts in hand? Or did they receive these while Minutemen? Did departing players like Davis or Keon get offers but left for something better? In the case of Cross and Cohen it seems more a case of Frank developing players who then got awarded nice NIL contracts to stay before ultimately getting poached. A coupe of the recent rentals have arrived with contracts in hand. They aren’t elite recruits but it is reasonable to think NIL played a role. Are they program changers? I don’t know. Do you? Or, is this info that is available only at member meetings?
Last edited by JoleonLescottsHair on Tue Jun 18, 2024 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Tue Jun 18, 2024 6:28 pm

So, will there be an announcement at the next meeting to "Welcome our newest member, Joleon......" ? :lol:

Just trying to lighten things up, I know, I'm being a dick
Time to Win

JoleonLescottsHair
Hall of Fame

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Tue Jun 18, 2024 6:38 pm

:lol:

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Tue Jun 18, 2024 8:55 pm

inthescoop wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:08 pm I think that the collective is doing a great job, and I will continue to donate monthly.

Simultaneously, Jo is arguing that the collective needs to be more transparent so that we have a better idea of knowing where our donated money is going and how it's being used.

Pretty tired of folks thinking everything is black and white. Both arguments here are correct - end of story.
The transparency given by the collective is greater than I ever would have expected, and far greater than what you'll ever get from the school/coaches. Complaining about a lack of transparency in this case seems absurd to me.

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Wed Jun 19, 2024 5:41 am

JoleonLescottsHair wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 6:06 pm Remember when Frank was going to build with Freshmen? That lasted one season.
Boy howdy, there's a lot going on in this thread, but I'll stick to the basketball part. I think Frank still believes in building with Freshmen. We originally had 3 freshmen coming in this year, the top-ranked freshmen recruiting class in the A10 (https://umassathletics.com/news/2023/11 ... ting-class), and recently added to that with Doumbia (https://umassathletics.com/news/2024/5/ ... -campaign).

His philosophy, from what I understand, is build with freshmen and returnees, and supplement through the portal. So we have 4 freshmen, 6 returnees, and what, 4 transfers? I've honestly lost count at this point, but I think that's the number. That seems like a well rounded strategy and largely stays true to his formula.

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Wed Jun 19, 2024 5:43 am

I'm just going to quickly throw in my support for the collective and Pat's efforts. The messaging isn't always on point, which is understandable since it's a relatively new organization and a side project for him, but I support the mission. Keep doing what you're doing, try not to take anything personally, and go UMass.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:34 am

Any new transfer portal news?
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

umasscollective
Junior

Post by umasscollective » Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:30 am

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:34 am Any new transfer portal news?
Only Portal update is we are very pleased with the late addition of Shadid and he is now on campus. And a Mass Co Athlete! We will be having him on our podcast to introduce to fans/supporters in the next few weeks once he gets settled in.

wmmmfan
Senior

Post by wmmmfan » Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:13 pm

umasscollective wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:30 am
InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:34 am Any new transfer portal news?
Only Portal update is we are very pleased with the late addition of Shadid and he is now on campus. And a Mass Co Athlete! We will be having him on our podcast to introduce to fans/supporters in the next few weeks once he gets settled in.
Pat,
Thank You for all you do.

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:48 pm

Juice Stand wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:06 am ^Joleon, I think your point illustrates why I think I'm warming to the new proposed model in college sports, where the athletic departments pay the players directly. We'll finally have an idea of what the budget is and how it's being spent, and they can stop asking me to fund the team for $25/month or whatever it is. With that said, this isn't an attack on the collective. Pat has done an admirable job of volunteering his time and energy to get this thing off the ground.
I can see the Boston Globe articles now...
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Thu Jun 20, 2024 7:18 am

69MG wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 6:19 pm
JoleonLescottsHair wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:22 pm
Also, what’s “bananas” to me is reflexively contributing to an enterprise when you have legitimate questions as to its value.
You have a right to your opinion, but this statement is totally out of touch. The value of The Collective is in getting us players that we otherwise would not be able to get.
Who? I asked that question point blank and got no answer?

Who did Umass get because of NIL? Who did Umass retain (as in not transfer out) because of NIL?

Umass had a promising season last year... something that (if those 4 main contributors stayed) could have made a run to the Tournament. Why did they not stay to do that? I don't think that question has to be answered as we all know why.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Thu Jun 20, 2024 10:31 am

Who did Umass get because of NIL? Who did Umass retain (as in not transfer out) because of NIL?
Eldon, The Collective would have to answer that question. I hope Patrick does give us some clarification.

umasscollective
Junior

Post by umasscollective » Thu Jun 20, 2024 10:42 am

69MG wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 10:31 am

Eldon, The Collective would have to answer that question. I hope Patrick does give us some clarification.
Retain 2023
- Cross

Get 2023
- Cohen
- Curry

Retain 2024
- Curry
- Diggins
- Ndjigue
- Hankins-Sanford

Get 2024
- Rivera
- Watson
- Muhammad
- Doumbia

We try to answer every question we can, if we miss any its not intentional, this forum can take some crazy tangents and be hard to keep track of. Please be aware though there are some things we cant discuss publicly as it wouldn't be appropriate.

Hope to see all in next weeks member meeting.