KAEO Shahid Muhammad

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
MikeUMA
Site Admin

KAEO Shahid Muhammad

Post by MikeUMA » Fri Jun 14, 2024 1:59 pm

Starting a thread for new guy Shahid Muhammad, with his commitment yesterday. He's been mentioned in the 2024 recruiting thread, but a dedicated thread is in order.

Looks like he was near the end of the bench at Seton Hall, only logging 20 minutes across 10 games.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pl ... melog/2023
They were spread from November to March, so not sure if there was an injury in there somewhere, or if it was just pure coach's decision.

He broke out with Southern Idaho this past season, with a school-record 106 blocks, across 30 of the team's 32 games on the season. Also got 29 starts. One minor concern is somewhat limited minutes, just 21.4, even though foul trouble (less than 2 per game) doesn't seem like that was the reason.

He shot .645 from the floor, but on 3.67 attempts per game, so looks like he was much more of a defense first guy. Our Jayden Ndjigue, by comparison, also a defense first guy, put up 4.3 shots per game.

I'm trying to get an assessment of Muhammad from a Southern Idaho source. Will share if I am able.

Battle Ax
Junior

Re: KAEO Shahid Muhammad

Post by Battle Ax » Fri Jun 14, 2024 2:07 pm

MikeUMA wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 1:59 pm Starting a thread for new guy Shahid Muhammad, with his commitment yesterday. He's been mentioned in the 2024 recruiting thread, but a dedicated thread is in order.

Looks like he was near the end of the bench at Seton Hall, only logging 20 minutes across 10 games.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pl ... melog/2023
They were spread from November to March, so not sure if there was an injury in there somewhere, or if it was just pure coach's decision.

He broke out with Southern Idaho this past season, with a school-record 106 blocks, across 30 of the team's 32 games on the season. Also got 29 starts. One minor concern is somewhat limited minutes, just 21.4, even though foul trouble (less than 2 per game) doesn't seem like that was the reason.

He shot .645 from the floor, but on 3.67 attempts per game, so looks like he was much more of a defense first guy. Our Jayden Ndjigue, by comparison, also a defense first guy, put up 4.3 shots per game.

I'm trying to get an assessment of Muhammad from a Southern Idaho source. Will share if I am able.
👍🏾

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Jun 14, 2024 2:13 pm

MikeUMA wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 1:59 pm

I'm not sure the produce guy at your local supermarket is much of a source, but I'm open to hearing this :lol:
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:42 am

This is from the Twin Falls TV Station. The writer is an Ohio State recent grad. People have already questioned his prediction on Shahid's offensive potential.
Kole Emplit
@KoleEmplit
Shahid Muhammad (@__Shaaaaa___ ) was one if not the BEST rim protectors last season in JUCO basketball. He broke the CSI single-season block record with 106🖐️🏿
While his defensive abilities stand out, his threat on the offensive end is a scary sight this upcoming season for UMass!
As for the 21 minutes a game, that is how the coaching staff ran the team. Their 2 stars (top scorers) each played around 33 minutes. 9 more guys had double figure minutes ranging from 10 to 22. Also, 13 players started at least 1 game. Shahid was tied for 2nd with 29 starts.

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Sat Jun 15, 2024 1:13 pm

I reached out to @PageSouthern on Twitter. Seems like they'd have a good viewpoint from the fanbase. I asked what he thought about his defensive abilities but somewhat limited minutes & limited shots...
He’s a guy that came to CSI very raw. From everything I’ve heard, the CSI coaches had a lot of work to do with him. The exciting part is he has a ton of potential. He was so dominate on defense, that he probably didn’t take the number of shots that he should. CSI head coach Jeff Reinert is a very good coach. He did a lot of work with him and he got better during the year. He also did very good against the good teams on the schedule. Looking forward to seeing how he grows as a player. He has a great reputation as having strong character at CSI.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:45 pm

Possible redshirt this season? We have much more size this year and maybe a year practicing against these other guys and developing could be beneficial. Just throwing it out there as a question
Time to Win

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Sun Jun 16, 2024 6:11 am

He's on the Mass Co NIL roster, so if he's getting paid, he should be expected to play. If he was coming here with the understanding that it's a redshirt year, I'd rather those funds go to Marqui and/or Tarique.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sun Jun 16, 2024 6:39 am

Juice, maybe it took getting paid just to commit here. Nobody knows how any of these new guys will perform here, it's all hope based on potential. Some of these paid players may not play as much as projected. But if it's beneficial down the road to develop a year and we have the depth now, maybe it's worth it, who knows.
Time to Win

GOODY
Junior

Post by GOODY » Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:00 pm

He had his name in for the draft ! Doubt he wants a redshirt!

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:53 pm

True, good point. But if he was NBA ready, he wouldn't be coming to UMass. I'm just saying, we've got a LOT of frontcourt guys now, they all won't be logging big minutes, why waste eligibility?
Time to Win

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sun Jun 16, 2024 3:27 pm

Floyd wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:53 pm True, good point. But if he was NBA ready, he wouldn't be coming to UMass. I'm just saying, we've got a LOT of frontcourt guys now, they all won't be logging big minutes, why waste eligibility?
Since a redshirt still counts against our scholarship limit, the problem isn't solved. We have to get down to 13. With his late signing, it would appear that he will be on the roster.

I have no idea who we will lose to get to 13, but I'm surprised Foster hung around. For that reason, I'm assuming he stays. We need Worthy as we are short on point guards so if we lose someone it might be one of the new bigs. One of them is not nearly as athletic as the rest. I'll leave it at that for now.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but there are 4 players not on the NIL list:
Worthy
Foster
Malek
Luka

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sun Jun 16, 2024 4:41 pm

69, you probably know this. What's the limit on players on the team? Not scholarships, players? If a team was at their scholarship limit, could another player be added thru NIL money?
Say a guy came in with grade issues, or the scholly limit was reached, but they really wanted the player. Could his enrollment be funded by NIL? Obviously his potential would have to be deemed worthwhile
Time to Win

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sun Jun 16, 2024 5:51 pm

^ From what I understand, you can have as many walk-ons as you want, but you can only dress 15 players per game. If anyone else knows for sure, fill us in. So yes, in theory a player could be added to the roster as a walk-on and be funded by NIL.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Sun Jun 16, 2024 7:42 pm

Do we have any idea of what other schools were recruiting him?

Also, if you google Shahid Muhammad Seton Hall, you can barely find anything. It looks like he used to go Elijah Muhammad FYI.