NCAA/Schools Paying Players - What's Next?

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

NCAA/Schools Paying Players - What's Next?

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri May 24, 2024 7:51 am

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet:

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... ay-players

Starting a new thread since this shouldn't bog down the current Collective/NIL thread.

Thoughts?
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

umasscollective
Junior

Re: NCAA/Schools Paying Players - What's Next?

Post by umasscollective » Fri May 24, 2024 8:54 am

Its important to remember this proposed settlement and implementation will take several months. "That process is expected to take several months, and sources said schools likely will begin sharing revenue in fall 2025."

How Collectives fit into the puzzle at that point is still to be seen. We have been working closely with Athletics as we anticipated this and when the details are ironed out work in whatever way we can to help facilitate the transition IF NIL goes completely in house, or still work as a separate entity if that is still beneficial to the University and the athletes.

MakeMullinsGreatAgain
Junior

Post by MakeMullinsGreatAgain » Sat May 25, 2024 8:18 am

umasscollective wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 8:54 am Its important to remember this proposed settlement and implementation will take several months. "That process is expected to take several months, and sources said schools likely will begin sharing revenue in fall 2025."

How Collectives fit into the puzzle at that point is still to be seen. We have been working closely with Athletics as we anticipated this and when the details are ironed out work in whatever way we can to help facilitate the transition IF NIL goes completely in house, or still work as a separate entity if that is still beneficial to the University and the athletes.
so lets say NIL goes completely in house - does that mean that NIL (collectives) go away? if it does, does that mean the days of kids getting $3 million dollars to come to a school are gone? I can't imagine a school would be willing to play a player that much money or would NIL still help contribute to a school paying the kids?

I feel if this went completely in house then it would somewhat even the filed a bit - almost like a salary cap. Am I way off base to think this might be a good thing for non-P5 schools?

umasscollective
Junior

Post by umasscollective » Sat May 25, 2024 8:43 am

MakeMullinsGreatAgain wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:18 am
umasscollective wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 8:54 am Its important to remember this proposed settlement and implementation will take several months. "That process is expected to take several months, and sources said schools likely will begin sharing revenue in fall 2025."

so lets say NIL goes completely in house - does that mean that NIL (collectives) go away? if it does, does that mean the days of kids getting $3 million dollars to come to a school are gone? I can't imagine a school would be willing to play a player that much money or would NIL still help contribute to a school paying the kids?

I feel if this went completely in house then it would somewhat even the filed a bit - almost like a salary cap. Am I way off base to think this might be a good thing for non-P5 schools?
There are still so many things to be worked out. But it will never be 100% in house. I personally think the settlement will blow up.

Right now the proposed cap would be around $20 million. There is no way UMass could come close to funding that, so it is not an advantage to non P5 schools. Additionally a school like Ohio State would hit the cap, and then use collectives to far exceed it.

Our mission is to continue to advance the interests of UMass Basketball. And we will continue to work with admin as things develop to figure out what exact role we play in doing that. But we aren’t going anywhere, that’s for sure.

Umass will need $ for the settlement AND for compensating players at a competitive level. Lots of work to do.

chapter 11
Junior

Post by chapter 11 » Sat May 25, 2024 11:36 am

Quite dismayed. i know its a $$ game but "feel good" stories like UMass in the 90s will be less and less.

tdmass
Senior

Post by tdmass » Sat May 25, 2024 1:35 pm

^ More like almost impossible!

Roadtrip
Hall of Fame

Post by Roadtrip » Sat May 25, 2024 3:18 pm

More like totally impossible. Has, or will, this nightmare hit D2/D3?

MakeMullinsGreatAgain
Junior

Post by MakeMullinsGreatAgain » Sun May 26, 2024 7:28 am

umasscollective wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:43 am

There are still so many things to be worked out. But it will never be 100% in house. I personally think the settlement will blow up.

Right now the proposed cap would be around $20 million. There is no way UMass could come close to funding that, so it is not an advantage to non P5 schools. Additionally a school like Ohio State would hit the cap, and then use collectives to far exceed it.

Our mission is to continue to advance the interests of UMass Basketball. And we will continue to work with admin as things develop to figure out what exact role we play in doing that. But we aren’t going anywhere, that’s for sure.

Umass will need $ for the settlement AND for compensating players at a competitive level. Lots of work to do.
thanks for the reply. So the $20 million cap - is it a case of UMass not able to fund it or not willing to? doesn't seem like a lot of money of a school like UMass? It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out. thank you

umasscollective
Junior

Post by umasscollective » Sun May 26, 2024 7:32 am

MakeMullinsGreatAgain wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 7:28 am
umasscollective wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:43 am

thanks for the reply. So the $20 million cap - is it a case of UMass not able to fund it or not willing to? doesn't seem like a lot of money of a school like UMass? It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out. thank you
The entire athletics budget is around $45 million.

DanaDingle3
Junior

Post by DanaDingle3 » Mon May 27, 2024 10:04 pm

Seems inevitable SAs will be classified as employees, with presumably some form of collective bargaining. Curious what role NIL will play. SAs NIL can't be banned, but it also shouldn't be allowed to be masqueraded as direct compensation, in other words an end-around of salary cap limitations like the pros.

How will the schools work with collectives, if at all?

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Tue May 28, 2024 7:26 am

C'mon MMGA.... you cannot be this thick? Do you honestly think this will "level the playing field"? At least when there was "supposed" to be no payments of any kind, it was a lot harder to hide. If these kids are getting paid enough, who is to know how much they have and are getting for real.

College sports will never be the same. Miami literally bought a final four appearance 2 years ago. They proved what the power of the wallet has in this new landscape. It is harder to pull off in football because there are so many more players needed (to be paid) but it is only a matter of time for the correct recipe to be created.

What is even more unfortunate about this entire situation is that none of these players (especially the men) actually care about the winning and competing part, it is all about the money and if you also win along the way, that's great, but only as long as "they get theirs".

As the dust begins to settle on this, there are going to be 60-80 schools left competing for the top tier championships and all of the rest may as well be D3 participation players. This is not about Umass, even though they will be on the wrong side of that separation when it happens; this is about the dismantling of college sports being played for the right reasons and the right aspirations.

This whole situation is very sad to see. I know this rant is a "get off my lawn" thing, but this whole thing just takes all the joy out of being a college sports fan.

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Tue May 28, 2024 11:11 am

I hear ya, and I get all opinions on this matter, but for me, I'm a UMass fan and a basketball fan so the amateurism thing doesn't mean so much to me. I love seeing guys stick around for multiple years and mature as people and players, so that's what I've missed the most in the last few years.

When this split and revenue deal eventually happens, and we're essentially watching a semi-pro developmental league, I just hope that UMass finds its way to a seat at the table, even if it's the kids table. Just be in the room and part of it. If there are 80 teams, try to be that 80th team. I don't want to be in a lower tier FCS version of college hoops. Even though we will never contend for a national title, the thought that it could somehow be possible is part of the fun. Right now every team at least has a sliver of hope of making a cinderella run in the tournament with the big boys. Please don't take that away.

umasscollective
Junior

Post by umasscollective » Tue May 28, 2024 11:29 am

Juice Stand wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 11:11 am I hear ya, and I get all opinions on this matter, but for me, I'm a UMass fan and a basketball fan so the amateurism thing doesn't mean so much to me. I love seeing guys stick around for multiple years and mature as people and players, so that's what I've missed the most in the last few years.

When this split and revenue deal eventually happens, and we're essentially watching a semi-pro developmental league, I just hope that UMass finds its way to a seat at the table, even if it's the kids table. Just be in the room and part of it. If there are 80 teams, try to be that 80th team. I don't want to be in a lower tier FCS version of college hoops. Even though we will never contend for a national title, the thought that it could somehow be possible is part of the fun. Right now every team at least has a sliver of hope of making a cinderella run in the tournament with the big boys. Please don't take that away.
Were doing everything we can on the NIL front and will continue to do so. We have a unique opportunity next offseason to bring back everyone except Sool, so we need to continue to build our war-chest.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Tue May 28, 2024 11:43 am

^ Glad to hear that we have a chance to bring back so many guys. I thought Malek only had 1 year left so he will also be gone. Maybe I heard wrong so correct me if I did.

umasscollective
Junior

Post by umasscollective » Tue May 28, 2024 12:35 pm

69MG wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 11:43 am ^ Glad to hear that we have a chance to bring back so many guys. I thought Malek only had 1 year left so he will also be gone. Maybe I heard wrong so correct me if I did.
Sorry, yes Malek and Sool would be the only 2 that will exhaust eligibility.