Festivus Holiday Post: Airing of Grievances About the Mullins Center (aka The Bill)

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Re: Festivus Holiday Post: Airing of Grievances About the Mullins Center (aka The Bill)

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:45 pm

vanmeter wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:46 pm I am not suggesting Conte is a better facility - rather much easier to get into
Walked right in Friday night at Mullins. It was night and day from previous games. Not sure what happened on student side.

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Re: Festivus Holiday Post: Airing of Grievances About the Mullins Center (aka The Bill)

Post by SignMan » Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:48 am

69MG wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:20 pm ^ I think the BB statues were funded by donations (maybe 1 large donor). Need hockey people to step up. Makar and Quick are absolutely worthy. Probably need to wait on Carvy until he retires (I hope he never leaves).
Having funded one of them, I believe there were at least 2 others, maybe more (?), also contributing towards them.
The angle of incidence = the angle of reflection: REBOUND!

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:04 am

69MG wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:39 pm ^ He's so young he probably doesn't know who Jack is. Or to give him the benefit of the doubt, maybe he didn't see it. Did he see "Jack Leaman Court"?
Are you suggesting it's OK to not do your basic homework before publishing?

You seem to do yours quite well before posting.

When I was doing more posting re teams we were playing, I did my research, very easily, online.

Google UMASS ATHLETICS STATUES...
..."Four icons synonymous with UMass
Basketball..."

That takes about 20 sec to type in, find & read.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:51 am

SignMan wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:04 am
I was probably too kind with my comment. But in today's world of journalism, it's harder and harder to find people who really do their homework. I'm not sure there's the rule of "2 confirmed sources" any more.

Always enjoy our conversations. Hope your fandom doesn't diminish when you are 1,500 miles away. I doubt that it will.

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:14 pm

^ 1856 mi fr UM now.

Camby4Life
Senior

Post by Camby4Life » Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:15 pm

69MG wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:51 am
SignMan wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:04 am
I was probably too kind with my comment. But in today's world of journalism, it's harder and harder to find people who really do their homework. I'm not sure there's the rule of "2 confirmed sources" any more.

Always enjoy our conversations. Hope your fandom doesn't diminish when you are 1,500 miles away. I doubt that it will.
You guys had high expectations for a guy who didn’t know the difference of stadium and arena.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:16 pm

^ +1 :lol:
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:25 am

Moving on... some sort of trophy display would be a nice touch for The Bill.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:48 am

^ Now that seems like something they could (and should) easily do. Heck, just renovate one of the unused concession stands.

DrG
Senior

Post by DrG » Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:56 am

The trophies are on display upstairs in the Hall of Fame area next to the athletic offices and the reception room overlooking the arena. This area is open to the public, although I think they restrict access before and during games to members of the booster clubs. If I had to guess, I'd say they think there is not sufficient room in the concourse area for a trophy display, or maybe they have security concerns. Or maybe they just think it's more appropriate to display the trophies in the Hall of Fame. I'm not saying I oppose the idea of moving them to the concourse if feasible, but I'm sure they have a reason for why they are located where they are. At the very least, it would be nice for people to have easy access to the two national championship trophies, 1AA football in 1978 and of course hockey in 2021.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:11 am

^

Yep, they are (or were... did bball stuff move over to the Champions Center?) in the building... but restricted during games. It doesn't make a ton of sense, and there is room in both end zones of the concourse to do something.

Boyden also hosts/hosted a ton of trophies/awards for other sports. Would be nice for everything to be in one place, accessible to the public for viewing.

For future pie-in-the-sky renovation idea, you could expand the East concourse out towards Comm Ave a bit if any sort of upgrades related to concessions/food cooking/bathrooms needed to be made. Doing so on the West side would require two levels of construction, but maybe that would be a positive for back office/locker room/facilities upgrades too. And you could also enclose the North outdoor area between the Mullins and the Ice Rink. Expansion to any of these areas could be a place to put HoF/Trophies that would be accessible... with the North area specifically creating a new entrance for both facilities.

Again, very pie-in-the-sky ideas....
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:06 pm

Some of that on 3rd FL.

Legacy Hall in Champions Center is under used.

Merlin Samuels
Junior

Post by Merlin Samuels » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:56 pm

I for one love the parquet floor and the 90’s logo. Both should be brought back permanently.

WillHerndonFan
Junior

Post by WillHerndonFan » Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:13 am

I would like to start a petition to remove the mustard color curtain that we somehow are still using 30 years later to cover the function room above the court. It looks awful in-person and on TV and seems to really have no purpose. It’s almost as if a curtain salesperson stopped by the Mullins center during construction one day and sold them on the idea of a large curtain for the function room since they were so popular at the time! Anyhow, I’ll volunteer my time to take it down!

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:25 am

WillHerndonFan wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:13 am I would like to start a petition to remove the mustard color curtain that we somehow are still using 30 years later to cover the function room above the court. It looks awful in-person and on TV and seems to really have no purpose. It’s almost as if a curtain salesperson stopped by the Mullins center during construction one day and sold them on the idea of a large curtain for the function room since they were so popular at the time! Anyhow, I’ll volunteer my time to take it down!

I assume a curtain of some sort is needed for functions. They might have to shut it during games due to free throw sight lines, but I'm not sure. I've always said that should be a luxury box type area during games, but there certainly hasn't been a demand for that since Cal left so that will never happen.

Also pie-in-the-sky... make that open air with a retractable window of some sort.