It's not video -- but it's something

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
DirSport
Junior

Re: It's not video -- but it's something

Post by DirSport » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:37 pm

As promised:
https://soundcloud.com/user-125347718/u ... 11-25-1994
Posing the question: The most important victory in UMass basketball history? Sure, there's Georgetown, but .... Sounds like a topic that deserves its own thread, hmmm?

Presented in its entirety (minus commercials, natch). Skip ahead to approx. the 17:30 mark for the start of game action. A few minutes late in the second half are missing, if you're really wondering why the score jumps suddenly from 81-65 to 91-73. I loudly wondered the same thing a couple of days later, while copying the broadcast from reel-to-reel to cassette.

This was the first UMass game where Jack Leaman and I worked together. Also the first game of Jack's 10 seasons on the broadcasts, along with Marc Vandermeer and Bob Behler. Coach and I had previously done several seasons of high school games on WHMP.

DirSport
Junior

Post by DirSport » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:10 am

Somewhat slower going lately, but I have still managed to put up the Charlie Ward/Florida State game from Feb. 1994, the sneaky good and important game vs. Maryland in Baltimore in Dec. 1994, and the "protest game" at Rutgers in Feb. 1995, suspended by a student demonstration at halftime and finished 3+ weeks later in Philadelphia. In all, 32 games are now posted. Damn, that's coming up on one-quarter of the entire inventory.

I'm not enjoying going through my parents' house for a whole host of reasons, but these finds, at least, make me smile.

DirSport
Junior

Post by DirSport » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:25 pm

Update: Although there may be a few more additions from time to time, the work on the Soundcloud page is essentially done. There are now 39 games posted, including the last seven of the 94-95 season -- all three A-10 Tournament games followed by all four NCAA Tournament games. I finished with the game once characterized around here as "The Game That Shall Not Be Named," vs. Big Country Reeves and Oklahoma State, but I went there, dammit.

Any project like this, looking back a quarter-century and more, will inevitably have some annoying gaps. For me they're the 1993 A-10 Tournament final vs. Temple and the 1995 regular-season home game vs. Temple (a one-pointer, what else was new?). With both of those games, I'm missing the second half. If I can ever locate them, they will go up eventually.

I had a thought of rewinding back to the 89-90 season, when I did the color commentary working with Tim Ashwell, and pulling up the 3 OT game vs. Temple at the Cage (don't know if I have all of it on tape) and that year's A-10 Tournament games & NIT game at Maryland. We'll see.

As mentioned before, any reactions, input or requests are most welcome. I'm no broadcasting hero, but I tried to do justice as best I could to some really exciting teams and times. Have fun with it.
https://soundcloud.com/user-125347718/s ... broadcasts

Juice Stand
Senior

Post by Juice Stand » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:00 am

Well done George. I have a lengthy road trip coming up this summer and these will be required listening.