Game 2, 2019-20: at Fairfield (Bridgeport, 11/9)

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
User avatar
LS71
Hall of Fame
Posts: 6460
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:55 pm
Location: Lost in Space

Re: Game 2, 2019-20: at Fairfield (Bridgeport, 11/9)

Post by LS71 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:56 pm

Juice Stand wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:52 pm
^ it doesn't sound like we'll have Kolton for a while. Word on the street is a busted wrist, out 6+ weeks. I'm hopeful that Sy will return for the next game. Pairing him with Tre up front will be impressive.
Sucks not having Kolton for that long. Did he get hurt in practice?

Love to see Sy return soon and get resolution on Walker’s status.

The season is a week old already, fer cryin’ out loud...

How many waiver requests can there be!
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

User avatar
uz2b-len
Hall of Fame
Posts: 10710
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 6:03 pm
Location: Deerfield, MA

Re: Game 2, 2019-20: at Fairfield (Bridgeport, 11/9)

Post by uz2b-len » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:19 pm

Has Walker been at the games?
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

User avatar
Refuse2Lose83
Hall of Fame
Posts: 4777
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:08 pm
Location: Western Mass

Re: Game 2, 2019-20: at Fairfield (Bridgeport, 11/9)

Post by Refuse2Lose83 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:34 pm

Was ill Tuesday. Players in his situation don't travel.
Hire Matt McCall!

User avatar
thecaptain
Senior
Posts: 988
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:54 pm
Location: SoCal

Re: Game 2, 2019-20: at Fairfield (Bridgeport, 11/9)

Post by thecaptain » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:40 pm

not to go too down the negative road, but was it just me, or did you guys see stretches today where the guys just stood around and let some incredibly easy baskets in. it was more obvious when fairfield made their runs. didnt think i'd have to question effort after the lowell win, but i did notice it.

UMassfan_19
Junior
Posts: 393
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:03 pm

Re: Game 2, 2019-20: at Fairfield (Bridgeport, 11/9)

Post by UMassfan_19 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:06 pm

Floyd wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:52 pm
The press isn't perfect yet but it does create a little pressure for teams and runs down the shot clock a bit which is to our advantage. We've gotten a few turnovers, deflections etc as well. Teams will adjust to break it easier so I hope it can be something they can use in spots if thats the case.

Sean East is really stepping into that pg role and looks great. Plays with confidence, under control, dictates the pace, and can create his own points with his craftiness. He's gonna be a good one.

Tre also really impresses me with how well rounded he is as a freshman. Will only get better as he gets stronger. When Sy is back, I think he'll really go off as both are pretty versatile
Press is not just about turnovers but it sets the pace. Fairfield has a period when they went ahead where they were able to control the pace as we couldn’t set the press up. Once we started hitting shots and pressing again we controlled the pace

Juice Stand
Senior
Posts: 885
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:37 am
Location: Eastern Ma

Re: Game 2, 2019-20: at Fairfield (Bridgeport, 11/9)

Post by Juice Stand » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:06 am

LS71 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:56 pm
Juice Stand wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:52 pm
^ it doesn't sound like we'll have Kolton for a while. Word on the street is a busted wrist, out 6+ weeks. I'm hopeful that Sy will return for the next game. Pairing him with Tre up front will be impressive.
Sucks not having Kolton for that long. Did he get hurt in practice?

Love to see Sy return soon and get resolution on Walker’s status.

The season is a week old already, fer cryin’ out loud...

How many waiver requests can there be!
I don't know how he got hurt, and I haven't read anything that explains it. Walfish's piece in the Gazette today didn't mention the 6 weeks that's been thrown out there by some people: "DOWN A MITCHELL — UMass was without freshman guard Kolton Mitchell due to a wrist injury. Mitchell was on the bench during the game with his left wrist in a soft cast and a timetable for his return is unknown." https://www.gazettenet.com/Minutemen-sh ... r-30225836

TheInsider
Hall of Fame
Posts: 3066
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:12 am

Re: Game 2, 2019-20: at Fairfield (Bridgeport, 11/9)

Post by TheInsider » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:36 am

Really hope it's not to long.. when East wasn't in the game we really struggled. East is just so crafty with old school floaters and hesitation moves. Haven't seen a freshman in this much control. Pretty good class when you get a solid point, a great shooter, and a really skilled big.

Floyd
Hall of Fame
Posts: 6343
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2003 8:50 am
Location: Not where I should be

Re: Game 2, 2019-20: at Fairfield (Bridgeport, 11/9)

Post by Floyd » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:51 am

UMassfan_19 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:06 pm
Floyd wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:52 pm
The press isn't perfect yet but it does create a little pressure for teams and runs down the shot clock a bit which is to our advantage. We've gotten a few turnovers, deflections etc as well. Teams will adjust to break it easier so I hope it can be something they can use in spots if thats the case.

Sean East is really stepping into that pg role and looks great. Plays with confidence, under control, dictates the pace, and can create his own points with his craftiness. He's gonna be a good one.

Tre also really impresses me with how well rounded he is as a freshman. Will only get better as he gets stronger. When Sy is back, I think he'll really go off as both are pretty versatile
Press is not just about turnovers but it sets the pace. Fairfield has a period when they went ahead where they were able to control the pace as we couldn’t set the press up. Once we started hitting shots and pressing again we controlled the pace
Yup, I agree
The E sho, best show in town

TheInsider
Hall of Fame
Posts: 3066
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:12 am

Re: Game 2, 2019-20: at Fairfield (Bridgeport, 11/9)

Post by TheInsider » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:54 am

^^ 100% correct.. the most important thing is how you recover from it when you dont get the steal.

jrdupe
Junior
Posts: 318
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:03 am
Location: Western Mass

Re: Game 2, 2019-20: at Fairfield (Bridgeport, 11/9)

Post by jrdupe » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:31 am

TheInsider wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:36 am
Really hope it's not to long.. when East wasn't in the game we really struggled. East is just so crafty with old school floaters and hesitation moves. Haven't seen a freshman in this much control. Pretty good class when you get a solid point, a great shooter, and a really skilled big.
for what it's worth...Kolton tweeted that he'd be back sooner than you think

Juice Stand
Senior
Posts: 885
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:37 am
Location: Eastern Ma

Re: Game 2, 2019-20: at Fairfield (Bridgeport, 11/9)

Post by Juice Stand » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:10 pm

My final note on the game at Fairfield: I ordered a burger and fries, and to my total astonishment, they flipped the burger on the grill, and dropped the fries in the oil! Oh to hear those delectable little potato slivers sizzling! This is the preferred method, as opposed to the Mullins Center, where hamburgers and fries are cooked hours ahead of time, wrapped in foil, trucked over, and left to sit under a heat lamp until some unlucky rube incorrectly thinks that he may want to purchase one.

User avatar
LS71
Hall of Fame
Posts: 6460
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:55 pm
Location: Lost in Space

Re: Game 2, 2019-20: at Fairfield (Bridgeport, 11/9)

Post by LS71 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:20 pm

^ + about a million

I liked when the Baby Berk truck was parked out front of the north entrance and ou order freshly made burgers and fries I to the Bill.

Now it’s 10 bucks for cold pre-made burgers and cold French fries and a drink. UMass could/should do better.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

Floyd
Hall of Fame
Posts: 6343
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2003 8:50 am
Location: Not where I should be

Re: Game 2, 2019-20: at Fairfield (Bridgeport, 11/9)

Post by Floyd » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:04 pm

Juice Stand wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:10 pm
My final note on the game at Fairfield: I ordered a burger and fries, and to my total astonishment, they flipped the burger on the grill, and dropped the fries in the oil! Oh to hear those delectable little potato slivers sizzling! This is the preferred method, as opposed to the Mullins Center, where hamburgers and fries are cooked hours ahead of time, wrapped in foil, trucked over, and left to sit under a heat lamp until some unlucky rube incorrectly thinks that he may want to purchase one.
Did they give ya a couple Lipitor with that Juice?
The E sho, best show in town

Juice Stand
Senior
Posts: 885
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:37 am
Location: Eastern Ma

Re: Game 2, 2019-20: at Fairfield (Bridgeport, 11/9)

Post by Juice Stand » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:59 pm

No they did not, but I do take some Juice with my Lipitor.

User avatar
MJatUM
Hall of Fame
Posts: 4140
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:46 pm
Location: Attleboro

Re: Game 2, 2019-20: at Fairfield (Bridgeport, 11/9)

Post by MJatUM » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:00 am

DrG wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:17 pm
East could be the first pure PG we have had since Chris Lowe. Chaz was really a combo guard.
Imagine calling the all time assist leader (in just 3 seasons, mind you) not a pure PG. Is Chris Paul not a pure point guard just because he can score? Chaz was a purebred PG.

Post Reply