Cannella Extended thru 2021

Home for talk about the 2006 National Finalist UMass Men's Lacrosse.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Re: Cannella Extended thru 2021

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:44 am

I'm sure this is going to fire a few people up....
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:55 am

Guy has been great and last year was a nice surprise...I hope he can improve recruiting.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

DrG
Senior

Post by DrG » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:54 pm

He deserves this extension after last year's great comeback. Keep in mind that recruiting is tougher now because there is so much more competition for good talent from the lax newbies in the Big 10 and even local schools like BU.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:13 pm

Oh, believe me, I'm all for this. He's been a great ambassador for the school and has had more positive results for the program than he has had negative. The program will continue to stay highly regarded under him and he'll keep it competitive.

But there were more than a few boo birds out there regarding him and I'm very curious to see how this gets them riled up.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

m626t
Senior

Post by m626t » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:30 pm

I'm certainly no Lax expert; I began following UMass Lacrosse from the hillside, back in the 60s. I've been disappointed with the fall from the highest echelon and the coincidental lackluster recruiting; the defection of some of our best players over recent years raised an alarm. I now realize that the former may have been due to a lack of competitive funding for the program, and the latter not due to the coach, perhaps, but to some unrelated personal circumstances of the players who left. At this point our AD feels the program is heading in the right direction and this move may very well help the overall improvement continue. I can buy into that.
All due respect, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, I'm gonna pass.

McKinney
Junior

Post by McKinney » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:40 pm

DrG wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:54 pm
He deserves this extension after last year's great comeback. Keep in mind that recruiting is tougher now because there is so much more competition for good talent from the lax newbies in the Big 10 and even local schools like BU.
I don't follow lax, but can UMass stay relevant now that the B1G is putting money into the game? I have the same concern with hockey.
Ryan McKinney - Class of 2019 - @mckinney2019

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:25 pm

McKinney wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:40 pm
DrG wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:54 pm
I don't follow lax, but can UMass stay relevant now that the B1G is putting money into the game? I have the same concern with hockey.
We play in a college hockey conference that is the first or second best in the country every year. I have no concern about hockey. We play in an awful lacrosse conference and I think we are what we are. Every few years we will pop in the top 20 and make the NCAAs.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

econalum
Senior

Post by econalum » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:21 pm

LAX 'went mental' for several years signing H.S. first or second years. Cannella did not buy in, and that hurt UMASS over the past few years, IMHO.

I think that funding problems are manifest, mostly in terms of recruiting trips to the newer Lax hotbeds, whi ch include CA, TX, and FLA. We end up mostly fighting for recruits in Northeast, which is where most of the D1 Lax schools are located. High quality programs I also follow like Loyola and Cornell, have a wider geographic distribution of players, including Canada.

Football is a huge $$ sink from men's sports.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...