State of the Progam

Ringing the Bell on a new era of UM Football.
Floyd
Hall of Fame

Re: State of the Progam

Post by Floyd » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:51 am

Roadtrip wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:28 am
All of the comments about being a fan through thick or thin are great, but the thread is State of the Program; and that state is dismal, with no evidence that that will change any time soon, if ever.

Roaddog with the Debbie Downer of the Day quote
The E sho, best show in town

Rolling Ridge
Junior

Post by Rolling Ridge » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:03 pm

Roadtrip wrote:
All of the comments about being a fan through thick or thin are great, but the thread is State of the Program; and that state is dismal, with no evidence that that will change any time soon, if ever.
We're worse than I anticipated this season (and I predicted a 2-10 season), and no question things are pretty dismal right now. But the 2020 recruiting class is looking pretty solid. I know that's not "evidence" of anything, but I don't believe the team will be this awful forever under coach Bell. I have no idea what the ceiling might be; no one really does. It will likely not be until 2021 that we really start to see a meaningful turnaround, but I don't believe it will this bad forever, and I haven't given up on coach Bell by a long shot.

I'm going to go to the remaining games I can attend. I'll look for improvements where I can see them, and for the team to not give up - at least until the 4th quarter. I can understand people not wanting to go anymore, but my expectations for this season were super-low anyway, so I'm going to go out and support the team. Hope others are with me, but if not, hope to see you in a few years!

minutefanjsf
Senior

Post by minutefanjsf » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:31 pm

Rolling Ridge wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:03 pm
Roadtrip wrote:
We're worse than I anticipated this season (and I predicted a 2-10 season), and no question things are pretty dismal right now. But the 2020 recruiting class is looking pretty solid. I know that's not "evidence" of anything, but I don't believe the team will be this awful forever under coach Bell. I have no idea what the ceiling might be; no one really does. It will likely not be until 2021 that we really start to see a meaningful turnaround, but I don't believe it will this bad forever, and I haven't given up on coach Bell by a long shot.

I'm going to go to the remaining games I can attend. I'll look for improvements where I can see them, and for the team to not give up - at least until the 4th quarter. I can understand people not wanting to go anymore, but my expectations for this season were super-low anyway, so I'm going to go out and support the team. Hope others are with me, but if not, hope to see you in a few years!
I expected to see at least two wins at home. SIU, UConn and Akron were the games that I thought we were likely to win. I figured there was a chance we might lose to Akron or UConn not SIU. I also assumed coastal would be competitive but didn’t expect a win. I despise liberty and hoped we could repeat what we did last year. The only home game I thought was a sure loss was BYU. I will still go to all the games, but wow. To think we are going to get skunked by that murderers row of stalwart football programs has me a bit unnerved....

Rolling Ridge
Junior

Post by Rolling Ridge » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:54 pm

minutefanjsf wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:31 pm
I expected to see at least two wins at home. SIU, UConn and Akron were the games that I thought we were likely to win. I figured there was a chance we might lose to Akron or UConn not SIU. I also assumed coastal would be competitive but didn’t expect a win. I despise liberty and hoped we could repeat what we did last year. The only home game I thought was a sure loss was BYU. I will still go to all the games, but wow. To think we are going to get skunked by that murderers row of stalwart football programs has me a bit unnerved....
I hear you. I'm chalking it up to a transition year, or more likely two years. Realistically 0-12 isn't that much worse than 2-10, and is really not that much less painful to sit through. At least that's what I'm telling myself. I'm out of the country for the BYU game and it looks like I'll have to miss Coastal Carolina as well, so I'm only "all in" for four games this season. :D

Roadtrip
Hall of Fame

Post by Roadtrip » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:34 am

Well, #130 in the CBS Poll. Yes, that is dismal. Nice to see that Hawaii was able to escape bottom 10, now at #64, so it can be done.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:07 am

BostonBert wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:10 pm
I refuse to stop paying attention or stop watching, no matter how bad this gets. If you’re a fan of something, you stick with it through the shit to truly enjoy it when things are good. We’ve survived the likes of Kevin Morris and Charley Molnar, so we can survive Walt Bell too.
I agree with your sentiments regarding continuing to pay attention; however, we have technically NOT survived Morris or Molnar. That would imply that we have come out the other side since then, we most certainly have not - YET...... Is Umass still surviving, I suppose yes but they are on life support and that has not changed since Morris....
In Matt McCall I trust!

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:08 pm

anyone else feel bad for the sign guy?

minutefanjsf
Senior

Post by minutefanjsf » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:25 pm

PreecherJenkins wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:08 pm
More than feel bad. His diatribe May be an indictment of the AD. Not sure yet.

ZooMass84
Sophomore

Post by ZooMass84 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:35 pm

minutefanjsf wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:25 pm
PreecherJenkins wrote:
Let's not lose this AD: he's actually young and has a career. The last guy, McCutcheon, was old and couldn't have cared less. He hired Molnar.

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:07 am

minutefanjsf wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:25 pm
PreecherJenkins wrote:
Not sure it falls completely on the AD, but his understudies this is on them. Sign guy our Mr. Two Bits and no one cared to salvage the relationship

Can someone pull up the Aspire deal and see how badly the university got taken advantage of?

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:59 am

^ agree w the Preacher more than the post he refers to...

However, in Mrs. SM I trust ... her judgement on such issues is direct and always correct.
I asked her opinion, briefly, and her quick/brief response...

He (AD) "owns it." (typical lingo at the company she successfully works for...the one recently purchased for $34B by Big Blue).
Regardless of further details, IherO...
He sets the tone/He sets the culture.

IMO...
I am about change for the better.
If it's broken, fix it, or start all over again...

An opp for our U.

I will get into more, soon.
Stay tuned.
“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. ”

Quinn
Junior

Post by Quinn » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:34 pm

With the season seemingly over, no Bowl, let’s get to more important things. Anyone else watch the Arkansas St. Vs. Georgia game today?

Would love to see UMass adopt the Arkansas St. uniform setup with the grey helmet and a UMass “uM” logo with the white jerseys and black pants.

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:39 pm

I say NO GREY OR BLACK. Stick with the regular school colors.

Quinn
Junior

Post by Quinn » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:01 pm

Just think, Charlotte didn’t have any football uniform colors a few years ago because they didn’t even have a program. Same with Georgia St. But somehow, both have legit programs now from scratch. Makes you wonder.

Steve81
Senior

Post by Steve81 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:39 pm

Quinn wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:01 pm
Just think, Charlotte didn’t have any football uniform colors a few years ago because they didn’t even have a program. Same with Georgia St. But somehow, both have legit programs now from scratch. Makes you wonder.
That possibly it's easier to recruit being in a conference, just a thought.