2020 Recruiting

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
NilesGold
Hall of Fame
Posts: 7884
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:00 pm

Re: 2020 Recruiting

Post by NilesGold » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:16 am

^ Don't trust any of the noise, or soft indicators (visiting or not visiting for a particular game), over what Offseason is telling us, which is that we're 50/50 with Pitt.

User avatar
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame
Posts: 14620
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:32 am
Location: Milford, MA
Contact:

Re: 2020 Recruiting

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:16 am

Worcester_To_Amherst wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:10 am
I'm guessing Femi's presence (or lack thereof) at tomorrow's game....

Was it planned for him to be going to this game?
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

TheInsider
Hall of Fame
Posts: 3332
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:12 am

Re: 2020 Recruiting

Post by TheInsider » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:45 am

Worcester_To_Amherst wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:10 am

I wonder why Pitt has emerged as a front runner with an offer from Seton Hall (and V Tech) also on the table. I understand wanting to go ACC over the A10, but I'm not sure what else is superior about the situation at Pitt over UMass. His path to playing time is more open in Amherst, and Pitt has been in the cellar of the ACC for awhile now.
So it's the cellar of the A10 vs the cellar of the ACC. If you look at Pitts roster, they havent recruited any guards this year and the roster as a whole doesn't have a lot of competition for him. Not saying he would play right away there but they have a lot of PT to offer... I'm guessing that's the attraction to Pitt along with playing in the ACC night in and night out

Worcester_To_Amherst
Junior
Posts: 378
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:02 pm

Re: 2020 Recruiting

Post by Worcester_To_Amherst » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:08 pm

My line of thinking is that he has showed up to quite a few games this year, and with tomorrow being the biggest draw to date I would think he may attend. There could be plenty of reasons for him not to be there, but if he is I'll take it as a good sign.

And I agree that UMass is the bottom of the A10 currently, but I feel like UMass' path to relevance is a little easier to see at this point then Pitt's. You can see that UMass has the talent on the roster to be an A10 contender in the year's to come, and him coming on board could put them over the top. Not sure that can be said for the situation at Pitt. He also seems to have the connection to TB that has helped us land a few of our other guys.

I saw on twitter that he would have more competition at Pitt for playing time, but I haven't done any research to back it up, so I can't stand behind that statement. If you say he has a path to immediate PT I believe it.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame
Posts: 7884
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:00 pm

Re: 2020 Recruiting

Post by NilesGold » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:16 pm

TheInsider wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:45 am
Worcester_To_Amherst wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:10 am

I wonder why Pitt has emerged as a front runner with an offer from Seton Hall (and V Tech) also on the table. I understand wanting to go ACC over the A10, but I'm not sure what else is superior about the situation at Pitt over UMass. His path to playing time is more open in Amherst, and Pitt has been in the cellar of the ACC for awhile now.
If you look at Pitts roster, they havent recruited any guards this year and the roster as a whole doesn't have a lot of competition for him.
The first part is correct, but the second part is objectively false. Absent of significant injuries or transfers at Pitt, Odukale does not have an obvious path to meaningful minutes there until his junior year.

Odukale is being recruited by Pitt as a PG (just as he is here). The two guys on Pitt who play the most minutes are point guards or combo guards, both are sophomores and are good, but not leave early for the NBA good. They also have several other guards and wings who are ACC quality players with 1-3 years of eligibility left.

User avatar
LS71
Hall of Fame
Posts: 6760
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:55 pm
Location: Lost in Space

Re: 2020 Recruiting

Post by LS71 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:33 pm

There may be other factors that determine whether or not he's at the Bill tomorrow. If he's there that's definitely a positive but if he's not...does his team have a game this weekend?
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

69MG
Hall of Fame
Posts: 8459
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:07 pm
Location: Western Mass

Re: 2020 Recruiting

Post by 69MG » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:34 pm

Worcester_To_Amherst wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:08 pm
My line of thinking is that he has showed up to quite a few games this year, and with tomorrow being the biggest draw to date I would think he may attend. There could be plenty of reasons for him not to be there, but if he is I'll take it as a good sign.
If he shows up I would consider it as a positive. If he doesn't, I don't think it means anything. We can't expect him to come to half our games.

Worcester_To_Amherst
Junior
Posts: 378
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:02 pm

Re: 2020 Recruiting

Post by Worcester_To_Amherst » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:34 pm

Agreed, there's lots of reasons not to be there.

User avatar
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame
Posts: 14620
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:32 am
Location: Milford, MA
Contact:

Re: 2020 Recruiting

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:49 pm

^

Again, was there info out there that said he was going to be there? I'm curious why it was ever thought that he'd be in attendance tomorrow.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Worcester_To_Amherst
Junior
Posts: 378
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:02 pm

Re: 2020 Recruiting

Post by Worcester_To_Amherst » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:34 pm

GUYS GUYS GUYS, him being at the game is a purely hypothetical I threw out there, since it's the biggest game at the Bill all season and he's been to a few games this year.

My only point: if he's there, it's a good sign we're still strongly in the hunt.

TheInsider
Hall of Fame
Posts: 3332
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:12 am

Re: 2020 Recruiting

Post by TheInsider » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:03 pm

NilesGold wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:16 pm
TheInsider wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:45 am
Worcester_To_Amherst wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:10 am

I wonder why Pitt has emerged as a front runner with an offer from Seton Hall (and V Tech) also on the table. I understand wanting to go ACC over the A10, but I'm not sure what else is superior about the situation at Pitt over UMass. His path to playing time is more open in Amherst, and Pitt has been in the cellar of the ACC for awhile now.
If you look at Pitts roster, they havent recruited any guards this year and the roster as a whole doesn't have a lot of competition for him.
The first part is correct, but the second part is objectively false. Absent of significant injuries or transfers at Pitt, Odukale does not have an obvious path to meaningful minutes there until his junior year.

Odukale is being recruited by Pitt as a PG (just as he is here). The two guys on Pitt who play the most minutes are point guards or combo guards, both are sophomores and are good, but not leave early for the NBA good. They also have several other guards and wings who are ACC quality players with 1-3 years of eligibility left.
Niles.. good find. I didnt realize it was the sophs that got all the time.. even better for us. I'm sure our staff is making that a well known point. W2A is correct also that we have a quicker path to become relevant in the A10 than they do in the ACC... fingers crossed. I think Garcia will bring a lot to the table and Femi will be the icing. We do need a serviceable big that can provide 5-10 mins a game to back up Tre.. we would be young again next year but we would be bringing in post grads that played at the highest level and we've seen this year how that works out.

User avatar
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame
Posts: 14620
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:32 am
Location: Milford, MA
Contact:

Re: 2020 Recruiting

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:06 pm

Worcester_To_Amherst wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:34 pm
GUYS GUYS GUYS, him being at the game is a purely hypothetical I threw out there, since it's the biggest game at the Bill all season and he's been to a few games this year.

My only point: if he's there, it's a good sign we're still strongly in the hunt.

Got it... thanks for clarifying!
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Floyd
Hall of Fame
Posts: 6769
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2003 8:50 am
Location: Not where I should be

Re: 2020 Recruiting

Post by Floyd » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:08 pm

Or maybe he just likes the atmoshere at UMass, likes the guys on the team (who all seem to be good kids that get along well), or likes the staff. Who knows, but I hope he comes here
The E sho, best show in town

capezona
Senior
Posts: 1743
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:59 pm
Location: Peoria, AZ and Dennisport, MA

Re: 2020 Recruiting

Post by capezona » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:54 pm

Maybe he likes the popcorn at the Bill.

User avatar
LS71
Hall of Fame
Posts: 6760
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:55 pm
Location: Lost in Space

Re: 2020 Recruiting

Post by LS71 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:41 pm

^ You mean the popcorn colored salt?
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

Post Reply