2019 Recruiting

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Re: 2019 Recruiting

Post by Jackson96 » Thu May 16, 2019 5:27 pm

A few thoughts:

I do think we can assume there is a plan in place. Whether it's a good plan or not, I'm not sure any of us know enough about that actual plan or the recruits coming in to make a judgment on that.

Re: being right or wrong about the recruits, I think it takes more than 1 year to judge a player. Kids develop at different paces.

Re: Jackson in particular, the only thing that gives me slight pause is him committing before even visiting, but lots of crazier shit has happened in college basketball. I think Pip committed before visiting but I might not be remembering that correctly (not using that as an example as something working out, just point it out). If Jackson is 6-6 and can shoot a bit, that's helpful. If he can do more than even better. He's got a helluva last name going for himself, too.

Re: filling all the scholarships -- if you are worried about class imbalance, I do think you could always take a grad transfer or give a scholarship to a walk-on who deserves it (probably helps with moral). Not sure anyone fits that bill this year though as far as walk-on goes. I do think we are pushing the limits on one completely new freshman class, but once again, lots of crazier shit has happened in college basketball.

Re: the last scholarship -- with Ward off the board, my order of preference based on 7 minutes of research and 8 1/2 minutes of highlight videos is as follows: 1) The Canadian point guard 2) The Brooklyn point guard 3) The New Hampshire-by-way-of-Buffalo point guard 4) That tall skinny kid from somewhere down South who can supposedly shoot threes and block shots.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

UMassfan_19
Junior

Post by UMassfan_19 » Thu May 16, 2019 6:53 pm

^
Pretty solid rundown though I would much prefer MAW over the Brooklyn guy(I prefer taller guards). Also on Jackson don't discount his ability to handle the ball. I'm not saying he will run the 1 but he can be a secondary ball handler and someone who pushes the ball in transition.

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Thu May 16, 2019 7:01 pm

Eh I don’t know enough to have a real strong opinion. The Anderson kid sounds like he’s pretty explosive which is something I think we lack a bit. Any one of those three sound like they would be good additions to me though.

Re: Jackson I’m not really discounting anything I just don’t know too much about him. If he can help handle the ball on occasion, great.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

jrdupe
Junior

Post by jrdupe » Thu May 16, 2019 8:00 pm

I too would rather see them hang onto a couple scholarships, but you have no idea what this staff might be thinking by offering some of these kids. It could be a case of them offering to one kid that may not seem like a D1 player, but maybe their real target is a junior or a sophomore on that same team. I think a big reason we got Mitchell was we already had Santos signed and he most likely knew Weeks would be going too. The Bergeron factor played huge part in landing Tre, but if Santos isn't already here, Mitchell probably doesn't come. Maybe there is a kid that plays on Jacksons team that Umass loves and McCall thinks his best shot to get that player was to get his buddy here first and help recruit him.

UMassfan_19
Junior

Post by UMassfan_19 » Thu May 16, 2019 8:25 pm

jrdupe wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 8:00 pm
I too would rather see them hang onto a couple scholarships, but you have no idea what this staff might be thinking by offering some of these kids. It could be a case of them offering to one kid that may not seem like a D1 player, but maybe their real target is a junior or a sophomore on that same team. I think a big reason we got Mitchell was we already had Santos signed and he most likely knew Weeks would be going too. The Bergeron factor played huge part in landing Tre, but if Santos isn't already here, Mitchell probably doesn't come. Maybe there is a kid that plays on Jacksons team that Umass loves and McCall thinks his best shot to get that player was to get his buddy here first and help recruit him.
The theory is right but mitchell was going where Bergeron went. Having friends will make the transition easier but once Bergeron got involved with UMass tre was going nuts there. Santos is just sprinkles on top

bobolink
Junior

Post by bobolink » Thu May 16, 2019 9:11 pm

capezona wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 11:12 am
natwam2547 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 10:35 am
Only one Senior on scholarship next year. That is a complete rebuild and hopefully no more players leave early after next season.
Seems like SOMEBODY will leave. Doesn't that generally happen? When you have 6 freshmen (maybe 7) I can't imagine they are all with the team for the duration. But you're just talking about the end of next season so maybe they'll all be here at least two years.
of course it's likely that someone will leave. but thinking about who left this year, most of them graduated (4 of the 6, I think). They had eligibilty left, but could all transfer with immediate eligibility. I haven't seen statistics on this, but get the feeling that many players that graduate will transfer right away after graduating. Holloway was a 5th year senior, but that was unusual, as was McLean who I think graduated after playing just 2 years. Perhaps Pierre or Clergeot are way ahead in credits and could graduate 1 year from now, but that would also be unusual and for the rest of the team leaving with immediate eligibility seems impossible.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Thu May 16, 2019 9:36 pm

I am not in favor of holding onto scholarships for the reasons already mentioned. We're not going to rotate 13 guys with major minutes so it's OK to bring in a couple of guys they feel have upside but need some development. Of the 6 guys returning, 5 will probably see a lot of playing time. I suspect that 5 of the 7 new players will also get a decent amount of minutes, for a 10 player rotation. I think 10 is fine.

As for KTM, after 2 years I still don't know what to expect from him. Unless something changes he might not get more than 5 minutes a game behind Mitchell and Baptiste. The key is who gets the last scholarship. Let's assume it's a PG who will get a lot of minutes. That leaves 2 of the already signed players, possibly Buggs and Jackson, as the last 2 guys on the depth chart. Add in KTM and we have our 3 guys who don't see much time.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Thu May 16, 2019 10:29 pm

Looks like McCall is in Long Island for the PGA Championship. I don’t think we offered a single player from Long Island during his tenure as HC.

TruBluMaroon
Senior

Post by TruBluMaroon » Fri May 17, 2019 7:08 am

^
Pitino must have soured him!

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri May 17, 2019 11:17 am

Precious Achiuwa signed with Memphis. We were mentioned in the notification that just went out from ESPN.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

iwearglovesndhat
Senior

Post by iwearglovesndhat » Fri May 17, 2019 11:31 am

uz2b-len wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 11:23 am
Personally, I'm no longer happy with the direction of the program. I thought bringing on Bergeron was great, potentially brilliant, even putting aside the excellent players he brought with him. But this business of desperately filling every scholarship strikes me as strange and self-defeating. Even putting aside the quality of the guys getting the last 3 scholarships, I think it's a mistake, for a number of reasons. In no particular order, #1 You get a team that's predominantly teen-agers, which IMHO means they are going to be less emotionally mature and receptive to the team-first concept. #2 You put yourself in a position where you can't add new players next year even though your likely to discover holes in the roster over the course of the season. And also, if this coming season would be more successful, there's the chance to get higher quality recruits next year if you have scholarships to offer #3 You end up with unbalanced classes for years to come, unless you lose kids to transfers. Then there's the quality issue. They are literally scraping the bottom of the barrel. Not to say there can't be a nugget down there, but far less likely. And how well do you know these kids? Wouldn't it be better to save the last two scholarships to meet needs next year with kids that have been carefully scouted and recruited over a long period of time? I'm really afraid it's gonna be a big mess next year and for years to come because of this.

That said, I do think Sean East was a good pick up. I watched some of his game tape and really liked his ability to distribute. But stop! Enough already!
yes, bring on the takes!

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Fri May 17, 2019 1:58 pm

"What we learn from history, is that we do not learn from history." I mean did we not learn from last time that when we brought on players to the team just because we have open scholarships? Like I said before, I really hope this time is different.

UMassfan_19
Junior

Post by UMassfan_19 » Fri May 17, 2019 2:34 pm

^
Difference in bringing in transfers to fill scholarships vs bringing in freshman. Very limited risk with freshman as you are not stuck with them if it doesn't work year 1

vanmeter
Senior

Post by vanmeter » Fri May 17, 2019 3:06 pm

I think taking on players just to fill scholarships is a mistake - one that I think McCall has already made. Walt Bell left many scholarships open and took on walk ons. If some of these players were not highly recruited or division 1 recruits, they should have been offered walk on status - if they show that they can contribute, then give them a full scholarship.

Battle Ax
Sophomore

Post by Battle Ax » Fri May 17, 2019 3:20 pm

^
Good point