2019 Recruiting

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Floyd
Hall of Fame

Re: 2019 Recruiting

Post by Floyd » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:27 am

Merlin Samuels wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:14 am
Is he the new Vince Wahlberg???

Man, the good old days.
Not sure what people are looking for. People complain about the team, the results, the system. Coach McCall has had some struggles, is addressing them head on, and making changes to what he's doing to try to get on track. Getting better personnel and possibly bringing in a guy who has been extremely successful in the recruiting world, extremely successful coaching at the prep level, and has lots of recruiting ties seems like a pretty smart move if you ask me. And throw in he could be bringing along some serious talent with him. Proactive changes adding proven talent. What else do you want? Coach McCall is a tireless worker and making moves to improve everything about the program. 2 yrs with what he took over with is not an adequate assessment period. Give him a legit shot with 4 yrs and then assess where we are
The E sho, best show in town

TheOFFSeason
Junior

Post by TheOFFSeason » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:56 am

Floyd wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:27 am
Merlin Samuels wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:14 am
Is he the new Vince Wahlberg???

Man, the good old days.
Not sure what people are looking for. People complain about the team, the results, the system. Coach McCall has had some struggles, is addressing them head on, and making changes to what he's doing to try to get on track. Getting better personnel and possibly bringing in a guy who has been extremely successful in the recruiting world, extremely successful coaching at the prep level, and has lots of recruiting ties seems like a pretty smart move if you ask me. And throw in he could be bringing along some serious talent with him. Proactive changes adding proven talent. What else do you want? Coach McCall is a tireless worker and making moves to improve everything about the program. 2 yrs with what he took over with is not an adequate assessment period. Give him a legit shot with 4 yrs and then assess where we are

Yes, agree...if you are questioning these moves you probably weren’t watching this season close enough...major changes needed to be made.

Jackson96
Senior

Post by Jackson96 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:26 am

No changes? WTF?!? Lots of changes? WTF?!?

If the wholesale changes do happen, I wonder who the other two new assistants might be.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:29 am

If it's wholesale we should be able to get them at a discount :D
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

Merlin Samuels
Sophomore

Post by Merlin Samuels » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:34 am

I was merely pointing out a funny thread title from years ago.

DoctorJ
Senior

Post by DoctorJ » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:41 pm

Ty Weeks Jr., also out of Woodstock, could be the third of a Woodstock trifecta if Mitchell comes here. Three guys with experience playing together might be good. Plus I like that he is son of Ty Weeks.

https://247sports.com/player/tyrone-weeks-jr-46082217/

https://247sports.com/Video/Tyrone-TJ-Weeks-9088399/

I don't think we have offered but 247 is picking him to land at UMass.
Refuse To Lose!!!

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:53 pm

Jackson96 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:26 am
No changes? WTF?!? Lots of changes? WTF?!?

If the wholesale changes do happen, I wonder who the other two new assistants might be.
No idea on the other two assistants.

But I would like to see a former player to get through and relate to these guys. DK had his faults, but I think one of his strengths was being able to put himself in his players' shoes.

Maybe someone like Chaz. Probably not as an assistant, but somewhere on staff.
Ryan McKinney - Class of 2019 - @mckinney2019

DoctorJ
Senior

Post by DoctorJ » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:05 pm

I agree with the logic of a former player on the staff. Chaz would be great, I think. Perhaps a guy like Matt Hill, who didn't play much but was a really dedicated kid. Or, um, maybe Ty Weeks Sr?? Maybe there is a rule against hiring the dad of a potential recruit, IDK. I liked Weeks a lot as a player.

I'm just catching up on the recruiting situation. Didn't read about Bergeron until tonight.
Refuse To Lose!!!

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:39 am

Floyd wrote:

All those things you say are true. I'm concerned about his ability to relate to and motivate the players. He hasn't publicly acknowledged a problem with that but it may be his biggest weakness.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

Jackson96
Senior

Post by Jackson96 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:15 am

That’s my biggest concern too, Len.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:16 am

Well, it's all his thumbprint from here on, so we'll find out I guess
The E sho, best show in town

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:25 am

Me three len+jackson.

Closest on staff to relate to players would be Lucious Jordan who was a guard at Loyola (MD) and Albany in the early 2000s. Jacob Kurtz was a walk-on at Florida.
Ryan McKinney - Class of 2019 - @mckinney2019

JoleonLescottsHair
Senior

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:48 am

McKinney wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:25 am
Closest on staff to relate to players...
This idea of being able to 'relate to players' has started to be thrown around here quite a bit. What exactly does it mean?

Jackson96
Senior

Post by Jackson96 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:05 am

For me, I think McCall seems really intense all the time. Even when he’s happy, he seems intense. Which is fine that’s who he is, and there are plenty of successful coaches who are that way. I just wonder how much kids can relate to that when things aren’t going well. But that’s just my view from way outside the program and it certainly could be different behind the scenes, I have no idea.

My real concern is more the motivation piece that Len mentioned and just getting his players to play hard more consistently. I am hoping McCall truly has learned some lessons in these struggles and figures some things out and am also hoping that this wasn’t a particularly good mix of players for his coaching style.

UMassfan_19
Sophomore

Post by UMassfan_19 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:05 am

uz2b-len wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:39 am
Floyd wrote:

All those things you say are true. I'm concerned about his ability to relate to and motivate the players. He hasn't publicly acknowledged a problem with that but it may be his biggest weakness.
I think he has addressed it. In his eyes it's not a problem. He believes he has to find the right players who will relate to him rather than bending over to relate to players