McGuirk Upgrade

Whip'ing the program back into shape.
DrG
Senior

Re: McGuirk Upgrade

Post by DrG » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:33 pm

Bill Mullins was the most honest politician I have ever known, and that's saying something! He was a really good baseball player at Providence College and played in the minors before hanging up his glove and going to Ludlow to teach. He grew to love UMass and I think of him every time I walk into the Mullins. Our major athletic facilities are named for legends - Warren McGuirk, Bill Mullins (along with the Jack Leaman Court, of course), Dick Garber, Earl Lorden, Elaine Sortino - and that should never change even if they have to share the name with a corporate sponsor.

UMass02
Senior

Post by UMass02 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:25 am

DrG wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:07 am
I have no problem with raising money through naming rights, but I will fight any attempt to remove the name Mullins from our arena. He has been gone for over 30 years but the late Bill Mullins will always be one of our strongest non-alumnus supporters. As an influential state rep, he helped save our athletic program when it was on the verge of sliding into obscurity in the 80's.
I’m sure Louisville and their athletes are happy playing in Papa John’s Stadium for the next 28 years. Is the money they bring in from naming rights worth the PR flack? I don’t know.

UMass02
Senior

Post by UMass02 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:14 pm

UMass02 wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:25 am
DrG wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:07 am
I have no problem with raising money through naming rights, but I will fight any attempt to remove the name Mullins from our arena. He has been gone for over 30 years but the late Bill Mullins will always be one of our strongest non-alumnus supporters. As an influential state rep, he helped save our athletic program when it was on the verge of sliding into obscurity in the 80's.
I’m sure Louisville and their athletes are happy playing in Papa John’s Stadium for the next 28 years. Is the money they bring in from naming rights worth the PR flack? I don’t know.
Right after I wrote that, Louisville took the name off the stadium. I guess it wasn’t worth the money.

DrG
Senior

Post by DrG » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:29 pm

^ I think you need to pick a better example of that one. :)

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:11 pm

I don't think anyone is suggesting removing William Mullins' name from the basketball/hockey arena.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:46 pm

DrG wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:33 pm
Our major athletic facilities are named for legends - Warren McGuirk, Bill Mullins (along with the Jack Leaman Court, of course), Dick Garber, Earl Lorden, Elaine Sortino - and that should never change even if they have to share the name with a corporate sponsor.
Totally agree DrG. Great point
Nothing worth having is easy to get

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:03 pm

Again, I don't think anyone is suggesting removing the names from the current facilities. Should new ones be built and a large corporate sponsor wants to toss the department a lot of coin for naming rights (*cough* T-Mobile *cough* John Legere *cough*), the department and University would be foolish not to accept.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Steve81
Senior

Post by Steve81 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:01 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:03 pm
Again, I don't think anyone is suggesting removing the names from the current facilities. Should new ones be built and a large corporate sponsor wants to toss the department a lot of coin for naming rights (*cough* T-Mobile *cough* John Legere *cough*), the department and University would be foolish not to accept.
hmm, guess you'd hyphenate it unless the figure was obscene, as the T-Mobile - McGuirk Stadium. For an obscene amount T-Modile Stadium and move Warren McGuirk on to the field as Jack Leaman Court. No one is ever suggesting removing William Mullins from the building and of course is not the focus here as this is Football Forum.

DrG
Senior

Post by DrG » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:41 pm

I acknowledge it's highly unlikely to happen anytime in the foreseeable future. Man, we'd have to do a whole lot of winning over a long period of time in football, basketball and hockey before a big advertiser would come forward and give us an offer we can't refuse.