Jameel in the news....

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Jameel in the news....

Post by Old Cage » Sat Apr 12, 2003 8:43 am

Columnist questions the sit out year for transfers:

http://www.statehornet.com/vnews/displa ... 36b05b954b

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Sat Apr 12, 2003 12:14 pm

i dont see anything wrong with sitting out a year... you made a commitment to play for a team, you need to honor it, and if you dont, you get penalized... thats just me though

Orange Julius
Senior

Post by Orange Julius » Sat Apr 12, 2003 12:57 pm

What about if a recruit signs on to play with a coach he knows has a 5 or 10 year contract then that coach is fired or takes another job? Those kids should have the option to leave if they want to without penalty. Especially those that play for a coach who takes another job.

DEM
Senior

Post by DEM » Sat Apr 12, 2003 1:07 pm

I personally think sitting out a yr can be a good thing for a player who transfers. He has time to get his feet wet with another coach and a different style, and when he gets to play he's a year older too.

deke
Junior

Post by deke » Sat Apr 12, 2003 1:09 pm

Orange Julius wrote:What about if a recruit signs on to play with a coach he knows has a 5 or 10 year contract then that coach is fired or takes another job? Those kids should have the option to leave if they want to without penalty. Especially those that play for a coach who takes another job.
Often times, those kids are granted their release from the university. It's usually after the coach is given a chance to talk to them, however. Basden, King, and Branwell were all released from their LOI and played at their new schools as freshmen. No transfer penalty.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sat Apr 12, 2003 1:24 pm

You would think that the school and quality of education would also play a role in deciding to go to a school, but I guess it doesn't factor in as much as you would think. That article makes it sound like everyone gets screwed if they transfer, but for some kids, a change might be good and sitting out a year can sometimes help. I wouldn't feel cheated going anywhere if it was a free ride.

obg
Senior

Post by obg » Sat Apr 12, 2003 7:49 pm

:x So I'm a kid who chooses to go to Nowhere U. after being hyped by experts. I get there and things aren't as rosy as they were reported to be.
I get a little pt as a freshman and I have an ok but not great year. The Coach recruits a couple of guys who can play my possession with the best of the creme. The year ends and Coach tells me that I am not needed and I will not have my scholarship next year. The Coach tells me that if I announce that I want to transfer he will help me get another school, otherwise I'm on my own. This lets the Coach avoid the stigma of being a coach who dumps his kids. I agree and I have to sit out a year. Stinks!

Fishy
Freshman

Need to have restrictions

Post by Fishy » Sun Apr 13, 2003 11:36 pm

Basically, if it weren't for the penalties involved with breaking an LOI or transferring schools, there would never be an end to recruiting. Schools would recruit other schools players right off of their rosters.