57 donors for basketball, show it!

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Steve81
Hall of Fame

57 donors for basketball, show it!

Post by Steve81 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:42 pm

Yes basketball is over its goal, but 57 donors is terrible. You guys say athletics should revolve around basketball.
Don't agree and all I see is empty words, 57 donors GIVE NOW and show IT!!!

Both women and men basketball are near the bottom of the 17 teams heap for the number of donors, terrible!!

https://minutefund.umass.edu/g/athletics
Go UMass!!

69MG
Hall of Fame

Re: 57 donors for basketball, show it!

Post by 69MG » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:39 pm

^ I gave yesterday and it's now up to 63 donors. I got an EMail this afternoon about the campaign asking me to give, and here's a snippet. That part I can understand, they probably sent it to everyone. However, doesn't anyone proofread these things? See if you can spot the goof.
In addition, we are excited to welcome six newcomers to this season’s squad, providing a level of depth to our roster that we’ve enjoyed in several years.

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:42 pm

Nice 69MG, now 70 donations. Enjoy all sports, our athletic offerings are as diverse as our student body. Posted to egg people on. Like to see all sports do well and support the student athlete and our programs. As a kid a half century ago, would be watching college football and wonder where is Massachusetts. Thankful the move to FBS happened, do put some extra donation there and some to all sports. Have given some to the court club when I could afford it.

So please give where ever, but please give if you can.
Go UMass!!

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:07 am

I donated to the general Maroon Excellence Fund. Most of the bigger sports hit their goals, but there are plenty of smaller sports that could use the money. To begin the final day, they've raised over $500,000. Very impressive.

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:40 am

how about this one

100k for LAX

41k for MBB

no wonder the coach has a life time contract he raises funds!!!

I think it is unfair to look at the numbers, the court club has to have more members who must donate at another time of the year. can anyone provide insight?
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

e_parade
Senior

Post by e_parade » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:18 am

Could a lot of these numbers also have to do with the size and history of the various teams? Obviously basketball has a much smaller roster than most other sports, and alumni from programs are going to be fairly likely to support the programs after they leave. I mean it wouldn't explain everything about this, but I do feel it likely plays some part.

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:22 am

The court club encourages giving after June 30th for basketball season benefits. So think they would have the least impact.
However that said, they way they do benefits of giving to the general fund 1.5k or to the court club have the same benefit for perks.
Football on the other hand for the Hunt Hospitality Suite is 1.5k for the Gridiron Club but 3.5k for the general fund.
So the way benefits structure for gifts is a negative toward giving to the Court Club.
Go UMass!!

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:27 pm

PreecherJenkins wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:40 am how about this one

100k for LAX

41k for MBB

I think it is unfair to look at the numbers, the court club has to have more members who must donate at another time of the year. can anyone provide insight?
Look at the demographics of the folks who play lacrosse and those who play basketball. This is in the least bit surprising.

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:17 am

Does anybody know what the total was for the entire program, and what the original goal was? It's not shown on the flagshipforward.com site.

Basketball hit $56,739 via 105 donors.

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:53 am

PreecherJenkins wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:40 am how about this one

100k for LAX

41k for MBB

The Laxbackers also have members who donate at other times. There is also frequent contact - including a newsletter - with the coach. inthescoop's comment on demographics is right on point, but the responsiveness of the coach to the fans (for us - hockey and lax) is also important.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:58 am

Juice Stand wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:17 am Does anybody know what the total was for the entire program, and what the original goal was? It's not shown on the flagshipforward.com site.

Basketball hit $56,739 via 105 donors.
You can add all of the individual goals to get a total goal, but I'm too lazy to do it. As for how much was raised, I'm sure it far exceeded the goal:
Thank you so much for your donation this week during the Flagship Forward Campaign. You came together as 1,824 alumni, fans and friends to raise over $660,000 in support of the 21 programs within the UMass Athletic Department. While the college athletics landscape is uncertain at this time, you’ve provided us the needed resources to be ready when the time comes for us to compete. Your support during this time means more than you know, and we are grateful to have you as part of the UMass Athletics Family.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:04 am

OK, I got "un-lazy" and did a quick add in my head. I came up with a total goal of $440,000. I might be off by a little, but it's close so we went over by around $220,000. Nice going everyone.

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:59 am

Thanks 69. I was going to add them myself, but also was lazy about it and just asked. I wonder how the donations to the general fund that didn't show up on the individual tallies will be used.