KAEO: Sean East

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
69MG
Hall of Fame

Re: KAEO: Sean East

Post by 69MG » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:21 pm

I said it a while ago and it's a different take but he may have been the one to leave because he has the best chance of being a starter somewhere else compared to Kolton or Buggs. It was going to be one of those 3 that departed to make room for a big (and I hope we get a good one soon).

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:36 pm

My main thing with this is let them battle it out. If you're gonna say they decided what roles are going to be filled, that to me is the same as slotting guys. And I agree with Jackson about the offensive players/ minutes thing. Its about playing hard in the minutes you get, and if you want more, expand your game to take those minutes. I remember when Carmelo was a freshman and Calipari limited his time because he felt he didn't play tough enough D, and told him to earn it. Kid could shoot lights out, but he dug in and became a very good defender and his minutes increased. Sean the soph/junior/senior no doubt would have been improved and could have been an above average defender to go with his offensive game. Maybe not, but I think his upside was pretty good and worth keeping around.

Some have noted here that JG may be more of a 2 than a pg, so that makes Fernandes the guy from day 1 at the point? Hope he's healthy and is as good as touted

Guess we'll see how it all works out
Time to Win

Roadtrip
Hall of Fame

Post by Roadtrip » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:47 pm

^Not holding my breath, even if I could. :D

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:38 pm

Floyd wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:36 pm My main thing with this is let them battle it out.
What if they told East, Fernandes, and Kolton that they'd all have to battle for minutes, and Sean decided to transfer?

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:51 pm

Kinda contradicts the twitter post, no?

My guess is Sean would have welcomed the challenge unless he was told he lost his job. Please, fill us in what really happened?
Time to Win

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:34 pm

^ We've been over this, the "fired on my day off" can't be taken literally.

FWIW, my 3rd/4th hand information is that East was told Noah is a good player and he’s going to have to battle for the PG spot... and East decided to transfer.

I think East is in position to be a very sought after transfer at the mid-major level... I don't think Kolton or Buggs would be in as good of a position, but they're still good deep bench/role players for UMass.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:06 pm

You're fucking hilarious.
My nephew's cousin's sister's godmother's son thought maybe they kind of forced him out.

I'm sure if you revealed your 1st or 2nd hand info it would just put this to rest but we'll leave it at the 3rd/4th hand info that Sean left because he didn't want to compete :roll:
Time to Win

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:15 pm

If they are adding a big then someone had to go. Whether they were forced out or left before they were forced out, the fact is someone had to go. The rest is all semantics if you ask me and I don’t particularly care about it. Someone had to go.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:22 pm

Awesome.
Time to Win

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:29 pm

Floyd wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:06 pm You're fucking hilarious.
My nephew's cousin's sister's godmother's son thought maybe they kind of forced him out.

I'm sure if you revealed your 1st or 2nd hand info it would just put this to rest but we'll leave it at the 3rd/4th hand info that Sean left because he didn't want to compete :roll:
You asked what I heard, so I told you. I most certainly am not treating it as gospel, I've repeatedly said I don't know with any certainty what happened. Go fuck yourself.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:41 pm

Tough guy huh?
Time to Win

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:02 pm

From my end it’s pretty clear what happened, Sean East did not want to be involved in the politics at UMass (which is making our program better), and decided that after a solid freshmen year, he would gather enough interest from other schools that would be glad to have him as a future starting PG.

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:57 pm

Not sure how that is clear, but ok.

The only thing that is clear to me is simple math. Someone had to leave. If someone didn’t leave on their own they were told to leave. Someone had to leave.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:21 pm

Agreed, someone had to leave. I was expecting it to be Kolton because in my view he didn't score enough to help the team when he was out there. I didn't think he was an adequate A10 point guard. However, I could see where he's a good choice for the #3 PG position. I was really disappointed to learn Sean was leaving because I thought he had the potential to be a very good A10 PG. I still do. But maybe they were looking for the #3 PG and Sean wasn't interested in that. Or maybe they thought he didn't have the personality for that role. Whatever. I'll look forward to following his career wherever it is.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

natwam2547
Hall of Fame

Post by natwam2547 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:20 am

Jackson96 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:57 pm Not sure how that is clear, but ok.

The only thing that is clear to me is simple math. Someone had to leave. If someone didn’t leave on their own they were told to leave. Someone had to leave.
I mean this is it. Like Jackson said, you can argue the semantics and obviously have your own feelings about the player that left as opposed to others that stayed, but this is really all that is known as fact. Someone had to go. It is what it is. I'm disappointed, I liked East. But I understand that someone had to go and I trust the coaching staff. Either way this team is going to be loaded with a bunch of players who will demand minutes next year. Not even just at the G position. They could play 11 in some games next season. So whether it's East whose minutes were cut to 12, or Kolton's who are cut to 8, someone was going to have their minutes cut. There's a case to be made for every player getting decent run next year. I admittedly don't know much about McCrory, the big who will be coming in (who surely will be getting minutes at the very least to spell Mitchell), or how Buggs will return from his injury. Other than that everyone has a case for minutes and there's only so much to go around.