2020 Recruiting

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Re: 2020 Recruiting

Post by NilesGold » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:48 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:26 pm Guys, come on... the quote/reference itself is from the movie Friday.

Long version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_VAtOkhZlU

Short version, reference only: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9T6gRbhHKU
So correct me if I'm wrong, but this doesn't provide any clarity as to why East is transferring (forced out vs choosing to leave).

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:05 pm

NilesGold wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:48 pm

So correct me if I'm wrong, but this doesn't provide any clarity as to why East is transferring (forced out vs choosing to leave).

Not at all, just providing context on what the reference is from.

The only thing you can point to otherwise was Todd Gurley using it when he was released from the Rams a few weeks ago.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:11 pm

Floyd wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:47 pm
NilesGold wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:16 pm
Floyd wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:54 am

You're kidding, right?
No, not kidding, especially considering he wasn't highly recruited nor did he have a big role this past season. Why is this unbelievable to you?

If the staff told Sean he was likely to be the 10th option, but he could stay if he wanted... what would be do? Should the staff had lied about what they projected his role to be so that he would stay?
No D1 athlete on a full boat is ok with being at the end of the bench. Did you see Kolton's interview where he said he switched to pg because of his size and the chance to get to the league? He ain't looking to ride 11-13. These guy are too competitive

The only guy that is guaranteed anything is Tre. Everything else should be open competition. Let them battle and work it out. If they don't want to and leave, then that's a different story
Not all D1 athletes are exactly the same. Coming out of high school I'm sure most have NBA aspirations, but in some cases once they're in college I suspect reality hits and they realize the NBA is unlikely. I'm also not suggesting that the UMass staff is telling any of these kids that roles & minutes are guaranteed, they're likely telling them what they think based on their knowledge of the players and their strategy. Some kids who are told they'll probably be minor role players will chose to stay and compete in the hopes of proving them wrong and earning a starring role.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:39 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:04 pm
UMassHoops wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:57 pm Thanks, guess I am officially old and out of touch because not only have I never heard that quote, I’ve never even heard of that movie!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

BYE FELICIA!

UMassfan_19
Senior

Post by UMassfan_19 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:52 pm

natwam2547 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:38 am
UMassfan_19 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:26 am
inthescoop wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:07 am Wow Sean East is the one to transfer. Well, there it is. The player to leave for a big man.

Our philosophy is quite clear: Tony’s way or the highway.
Don’t think it’s that it’s bring in better players. East is the obvious transfer out because his game is built to be a 20+ minutes a game guy while guys like kolton and buggs can be that 10 minute defensive energy guy off the bench. Kolton only played about 14 minutes even when starting Fernandes and Garcia will take a lot of that minutes
I came on here basically to say the same exact thing. It's too bad, I'll miss seeing the kid play. He was fun to watch this year and brought a lot of good qualities to the team that he will now bring somewhere else. But if Garcia is as good as everyone says he is, he'll be starting day 1 with Kolton off the bench and who knows about Fernandes. If Fernandes isn't eligible this season, I could see Kolton leaving as well after year 2 if he ultimately becomes the 3rd PG. The team is also flush with plenty of G's, even if they aren't all true PG's.
I see kolton being in the Keon role and possibly being a big player later in his career if he develops an offensive game.

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:57 pm

Right now they give Kolton a free shot at the basket. Will be hard not to improve on his numbers. I think he will progress quite a bit now.
Refuse To Lose!!!

rayers
Senior

Post by rayers » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:46 pm

Ok so here’s my wild purely speculative guess. Sean sees two new point guards recruited with three already on the team. He and the coaches meet and they say they would love for him to stay and compete but they will also support him no matter what he chooses to do. Sean is smart and understands he might be a bigger fish in a smaller pond somewhere else. That happens everyday in every sport Including the high school level.

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:19 pm

He'd be a lunker in the NEC or AE! :D
Refuse To Lose!!!

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:12 pm

Simple math tells you that they had one too many kids if they were going to get a backup big. What’s not so simple is how it came down to East leaving. I don’t particularly care how it all went down. It’s a business and I get that it’s a business. I don’t love that we’ve had 829 dudes transfer since McCall took over but part of me says that’s the way it works these days. Lot of transfers everywhere. Another part of me though misses rooting for teams with players I got more than a cup of coffee with.

Maybe this is the right mix now where the corner we started to turn last year is in our rear view mirror.

East had some potential I think and I thought he could have been a nice scorer off the bench (I keep reading posts about how scorers cant play 10-12 minutes off the bench but I think there are plenty of ways to skin a cat. Totally different player but Eddie House says hi.) Unless he got better on defense, took care of the ball better, and didn’t go into long funks (all of which is possible!), I didn’t love him as a starting point guard.

I’ve talked to a couple of people about Fernandes that have watched him play a bunch and I bet he starts with Garcia. I think he’s going to be eligible. To me what is going to be interesting is what happens with the other two spots. I also think this is the year where we see what kind of a coach we have in McCall. Certainly some positives to end last year to build on.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:17 pm

I really hope he is eligible, then it's game on. Gotta get that big now!
Refuse To Lose!!!

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:47 pm

We've seen the departures from URI and that puts a little question into the recruitment of Ousmane. He has an offer from URI and took a visit. If he's looking for immediate playing time and possibly a lot of minutes then they have the advantage over us. He's either at the top or close to the top of our list for freshman bigs.

DanaDingle3
Junior

Post by DanaDingle3 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:39 pm

Jackson96 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:12 pmI’ve talked to a couple of people about Fernandes that have watched him play a bunch and I bet he starts with Garcia. I think he’s going to be eligible. To me what is going to be interesting is what happens with the other two spots.
Random thoughts I'll put here:

For the record, I'm sad to see Sean go. I liked what he gave us this year and hope he lands in the right spot. I'm not angry about it, though. McCall had, at various points, alluded to Sean not always being happy, and Sean's alluded to the same thing. I'm not going to speculate further and have no reason to believe everyone involved didn't do the right things.

Getting back to your post, Jackson96, I'd be thrilled if Fernandes and Garcia are our starting guards next year. And I agree it'll be very interesting to see what happens with the other two spots. TJ will play a lot at the 2 & 3. I don't know how many minutes Carl will play. Dibaji, Preston, Diallo, and Dominguez will all play at the 3 & 4, too. It looks to be a talented team. I'm pretty psyched about it.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:54 am

Jackson96 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:12 pm East had some potential I think and I thought he could have been a nice scorer off the bench (I keep reading posts about how scorers cant play 10-12 minutes off the bench but I think there are plenty of ways to skin a cat.
Who knows what kind of player East would've been next year, but if we look at what he did during conference play this year, I don't think there's a lot of value in having someone who shoots 33% from the field if their best role/attribute is providing scoring off the bench.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:30 am

Players develop and improve more often than not during their soph/junior/senior seasons. Going with a 1 yr shooting % only is kind of short sighted. By that logic, what is MM's winning % , yr 1, 2, & 3? What % of players have left and what % of players HE'S brought in are still here and will be a big part going forward? All these Woodstock connections are Tony's, no?

Look, I get it. Players transfer all the time, and get pushed out or however you want to sugarcoat it. But if you're going to preach culture, and buying in, and chemistry, and good kids etc, and you want them to be all in, then make sure who you bring in fit what you want and develop them. Constant high turnover at a mid major shouldn't be a yearly thing
Time to Win

UMassfan_19
Senior

Post by UMassfan_19 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:41 am

Floyd wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:30 am Players develop and improve more often than not during their soph/junior/senior seasons. Going with a 1 yr shooting % only is kind of short sighted. By that logic, what is MM's winning % , yr 1, 2, & 3? What % of players have left and what % of players HE'S brought in are still here and will be a big part going forward? All these Woodstock connections are Tony's, no?

Look, I get it. Players transfer all the time, and get pushed out or however you want to sugarcoat it. But if you're going to preach culture, and buying in, and chemistry, and good kids etc, and you want them to be all in, then make sure who you bring in fit what you want and develop them. Constant high turnover at a mid major shouldn't be a yearly thing
Not all of them preston committed well before Tony was linked with the job. TJ was not a package deal either he would have come with or without tony.