KAEO: Sean East

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
natwam2547
Hall of Fame

Re: KAEO: Sean East

Post by natwam2547 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:32 pm

DoctorJ wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:52 am Something is going on here. If you cut loose the starting point guard, it would seem that they either know (how would they?) that Fernandez will get a waiver (why would he? No coach change...) or they have a temp replacement in a fifth year transfer coming in (Aitken from Harvard, I'd hope)... Or maybe Garcia is just that good. But, if so, why were we after Femi?
From what I've read on here, it's more or less option C, with a chance for A as well. And I really hate to keep being the Negative Nancy with this but there is 0% chance Aiken comes here and you really need to let that one go unfortunately. Seth Towns from Harvard just committed to Ohio State for his grad transfer year and his other option was Duke.

And they were going after Femi probably because they believe that he's even better than Garcia and you always try to get the best players regardless of your current roster.

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:41 pm

I hear you. I'm just picking the top transfer PG option off the board and wondering why nobody has grabbed him yet. Wasn't really seriously suggesting he is coming here- though it is fun to imagine.

I feel we are going to be thin an unexperienced at the point now and still need a backup for Tre. Sure hope that the NCAA gives an ear to Wichita State transfers but, with no coaching change, it seems they are likely going to need to sit a year. If so, that really puts a kink in Tre's second year.

Time for creative thinking for MM, TB, and company...
Refuse To Lose!!!

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:23 pm

natwam2547 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:32 pm you always try to get the best players regardless of your current roster.
And you should try to keep them
Time to Win

natwam2547
Hall of Fame

Post by natwam2547 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:26 pm

^ Of course. But if they evaluated Garcia (and Femi) as being better, or having higher ceilings than East they did what they thought they had to do to improve the roster. I'm not happy East is gone either, but I'm not shocked. Someone's minutes are getting cut next year, and Kolton is probably a guy who can give you 8-10 minutes off the bench in a ball-handling, defensive role. Where as East is more of a polished offensive player who's role wasn't as needed if the reports on Garcia's talent level are true.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:44 pm

So basically this comes down to who you feel is the better player, Kolton or East. I'd take Sean
Hope the staff made the right choice and Fernandes and Garcia are both ready to go
Time to Win

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:32 pm

If Fernandez can play it's a whole different ballgame than if he sits. Hope we don't have to wait until mid-season to find out.
Refuse To Lose!!!

bobolink
Senior

Post by bobolink » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:55 pm

they'll need Fernandes ready on day 1. Between Sean, Kolton and Buggs, I thought Sean was best and had the most upside, although it's hard to tell given the injuries. Consensus has Fernandes much better than Sean, but you're replacing a guy who shot 40% on 3s and had an excellent assist-to-turnover ratio with a guy who shot 27% with an assist-to-turnover about 1. 3s will be needed to get defenses off Tre and other shooters like TJ. I think the coaches know what they're doing, but it feels like a gamble. If it was their doing. Coaches must also be sure (which we pretty much all thought) that a big is coming.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:35 pm

In my opinion, the reason that it was Sean is because he has the best chance of the 3 (Sean, Kolton, Buggs) of getting serious minutes at his new school.
We don't know much about Buggs, but I don't think he is better than Sean, and Kolton is great for 10-12 minutes as a steadying influence and defender, but he's not a starting PG.

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:37 pm

Sometimes a kid makes a big jump from freshman season. DK was pretty weak his first year.
Refuse To Lose!!!

UMassfan_19
Senior

Post by UMassfan_19 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:49 pm

bobolink wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:55 pm they'll need Fernandes ready on day 1. Between Sean, Kolton and Buggs, I thought Sean was best and had the most upside, although it's hard to tell given the injuries. Consensus has Fernandes much better than Sean, but you're replacing a guy who shot 40% on 3s and had an excellent assist-to-turnover ratio with a guy who shot 27% with an assist-to-turnover about 1. 3s will be needed to get defenses off Tre and other shooters like TJ. I think the coaches know what they're doing, but it feels like a gamble. If it was their doing. Coaches must also be sure (which we pretty much all thought) that a big is coming.
Dibaji and dyondre should take up some of the shooting load and the big East is a tough league Fernandes had some good games when given some time plus he was usually a 4th or 5th option offensively for Wichita

UMassfan_19
Senior

Post by UMassfan_19 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:51 pm

Floyd wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:44 pm So basically this comes down to who you feel is the better player, Kolton or East. I'd take Sean
Hope the staff made the right choice and Fernandes and Garcia are both ready to go
Think it comes down to who you think is a better fit for the role. I will always take the defensive guy first for the 10-15 minutes of the bench energy guy. If East was set to be a sixth man scorer of the bench sure but I don’t think that would be his role.

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:56 pm

Maybe he would rather sit his Sophomore season rather than Jr. season. I don't see how he was that worried about next year. How can we think Fernandez will play?
Refuse To Lose!!!

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:17 pm

We can think of Fernandes being eligible because of widely rumored changes in the NCAA transfer rules. I don't think Sean is leaving of his own volition. As pointed out by others, he wouldn't be tweeting he got "fired" if that were the case.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

Cool_Hand
Sophomore

Post by Cool_Hand » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:44 pm

I dont think coaches would force or ask anyone to leave. If I had to guess they would probably inform the there isn't a scholarship and offer a way to get financial assistance and stay. People forget Davonte's roster spot.

Not Trigger
Junior

Post by Not Trigger » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:02 pm

Not a good look for McCall to "fire" a kid who started about half the season as a freshman and in many games was the second best player on the team. East seemed to play best in big games and big situations. Big mistake. He'll be a good player for some program.