2020 Recruiting

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Re: 2020 Recruiting

Post by TheInsider » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:45 am

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:40 am Didn't expect that. Someone is going to lose their mind today.
Is there a popcorn emoji?? Bottom line is they want defense and energy from their 3rd and 4th guards.

UMassfan_19
Senior

Post by UMassfan_19 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:48 am

Worcester_To_Amherst wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:18 am I agree Sean isn’t suited to be a 10 minute a game player. If we needed him for offense off the bench that would make sense, but it seems like we have that already in Dibaji/Dominguez. I’m bummed because I really liked his game/potential. I hope he finds a good fit.
Say Fernandes is eligible right away then you have Garcia potentially off the bench Tj could be coming off the bench. Preston could be coming off the bench dyondre as a stretch 4 shooter off the bench. kolton we know can step in play hard and run an offense. We have options

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:04 am

NilesGold wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:39 am
Floyd wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:08 am That tweet doesn't sound like his decision. And how about competing for minutes instead of handing them over. Just disappointed in this move, thats all.
Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't. I don't think anyone is handing over minutes to anyone, but I would expect them to be honest with the players about their expectations/vision for the future and where everyone fits in.
So you think they sat down Kolton and said you're slotted in for 10th, 11th, 12th on the bench and he said, I'm good with that? I doubt he'd accept that. Keep your best talent around, let them battle it out for minutes, if they fall to the end of the rotation and want to leave after the season, its not hard to fill in that 10,11,12 slot next year. They play the same position so its not like one is a pf and one a pg and you need one position more than the other.

It is what it is, but they gave up on the kid. Too soon in my opinion which I understand means nothing. But my opinion of the transfer rules has changed now too. If a kid wants to go, let him go and play immediately. Two way street

Rant over. Wish Sean best of luck
Time to Win

Worcester_To_Amherst
Senior

Post by Worcester_To_Amherst » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:08 am

They probably told Kolton he’ll be competing for PG, but I’m guessing Kolton knows he isn’t going to be getting 20+ minutes a game anytime soon, and he’s probably OK with that. Sean might not be OK getting 10 minutes a game.

Carl Spackler
Junior

Post by Carl Spackler » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:44 am

I would assume this means that Noah is eligible immediately.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:12 am

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:41 am ^
Agreed... either way, he was forced out. These things happen. CJ was forced out too, but in a different way.. they just didn't play him. These things happen.
Maybe it's just a matter of semantics, but I think there's a big difference between being recruited over and being forced out.

Keon Clergeot, CJ Jackson, Sean East, Kolton Mitchell, and Buggs were all recruited over... impossible to know if Keon, CJ, or Sean were forced out, or simply decided they'd rather transfer than have the role that the staff anticipates they'd have.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:16 am

NilesGold wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:12 am

Maybe it's just a matter of semantics, but I think there's a big difference between being recruited over and being forced out.

Keon Clergeot, CJ Jackson, Sean East, Kolton Mitchell, and Buggs were all recruited over... impossible to know if Keon, CJ, or Sean were forced out, or simply decided they'd rather transfer than have the role that the staff anticipates they'd have.

I think it is a matter of semantics, yes. One could (probably) easily make the argument that recruiting over another player is a way of forcing them out.

Ultimately, I think you and I agree here... just getting there with different verbiage.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:18 am

Floyd wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:04 am
Floyd wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:08 am That tweet doesn't sound like his decision. And how about competing for minutes instead of handing them over. Just disappointed in this move, thats all.
Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't. I don't think anyone is handing over minutes to anyone, but I would expect them to be honest with the players about their expectations/vision for the future and where everyone fits in.
So you think they sat down Kolton and said you're slotted in for 10th, 11th, 12th on the bench and he said, I'm good with that?
Yes, that seems the most likely to me, same with Buggs.

I wouldn't be too surprised if CJ was "forced out", but it's also entirely possible he simply chose to leave.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:21 am

Carl Spackler wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:44 am I would assume this means that Noah is eligible immediately.
I'm praying that this is the case. If not, we're putting the offense in the hands of another freshman and we'll need Kolton to raise his offensive game quite a bit. Buggs is still a mystery to me. We just didn't see enough of him to know what he can do. Maybe he's the ace in the hole?

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:27 am

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:16 am I think it is a matter of semantics, yes. One could (probably) easily make the argument that recruiting over another player is a way of forcing them out.
I think the key difference is if the decision is left with the player. Several players were recruited over, but not all of those players were forced out.

Now, if the coaches decided they'd rather have Kolton & Buggs as the 12th/13th INSTEAD of Sean, and so they told Sean to leave, that would be forcing him out. But that doesn't seem as likely to me as Sean simply deciding that he'd rather transfer than accept the role that the coaches anticipated for him going forward.

Battle Ax
Junior

Post by Battle Ax » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:27 am

I hope we get one hell of a backup big because I’m kinda bummed about East leaving. I really liked our group of freshmen and the togetherness they brought.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:31 am

NilesGold wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:27 am

I think the key difference is if the decision is left with the player. Several players were recruited over, but not all of those players were forced out.

Now, if the coaches decided they'd rather have Kolton & Buggs as the 12th/13th INSTEAD of Sean, and so they told Sean to leave, that would be forcing him out. But that doesn't seem as likely to me as Sean simply deciding that he'd rather transfer than accept the role that the coaches anticipated for him going forward.

Fair enough!
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

natwam2547
Hall of Fame

Post by natwam2547 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:38 am

UMassfan_19 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:26 am
inthescoop wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:07 am Wow Sean East is the one to transfer. Well, there it is. The player to leave for a big man.

Our philosophy is quite clear: Tony’s way or the highway.
Don’t think it’s that it’s bring in better players. East is the obvious transfer out because his game is built to be a 20+ minutes a game guy while guys like kolton and buggs can be that 10 minute defensive energy guy off the bench. Kolton only played about 14 minutes even when starting Fernandes and Garcia will take a lot of that minutes
I came on here basically to say the same exact thing. It's too bad, I'll miss seeing the kid play. He was fun to watch this year and brought a lot of good qualities to the team that he will now bring somewhere else. But if Garcia is as good as everyone says he is, he'll be starting day 1 with Kolton off the bench and who knows about Fernandes. If Fernandes isn't eligible this season, I could see Kolton leaving as well after year 2 if he ultimately becomes the 3rd PG. The team is also flush with plenty of G's, even if they aren't all true PG's.

JoleonLescottsHair
Hall of Fame

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:52 am

That sucks.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:54 am

NilesGold wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:18 am
Floyd wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:04 am

So you think they sat down Kolton and said you're slotted in for 10th, 11th, 12th on the bench and he said, I'm good with that?
Yes, that seems the most likely to me, same with Buggs.
You're kidding, right?
Time to Win