KAEO: Tre Mitchell

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Floyd
Hall of Fame

Re: KAEO: Tre Mitchell

Post by Floyd » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:37 am

Kid is going to make some serious money playing somewhere so great for him and his family. I'm just going to enjoy watching him lead this program for a while because who knows how long it'll be before another big like him comes along
Time to Win

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:37 pm

Tre passed Camby in three pointers made in his second game, but Marcus only made one in his whole career.

Marcus wasn't thrown into the starting lineup. Lou Roe was the number 1 guy during that year.

Tre has the 3 pointer dimension, while Camby could block shots in volume. If Trey picks up the shot blocking, we will have something unreal to watch.

Both are/were fun to watch.

If you watch film of Tre from his first year at Woodstock, then his second there, you see a big improvement. Then from last year to this year, an even bigger jump. He gets better by the game, similar to how Marcus looked in those first 2 years.

Dont know what Trey's ceiling is but some things are very different from the Camby era. We are not playing a top 25 level schedule. Tre doesn't have a supporting cast that's already post season tested.

I don't know if he is going to be "Cambyesque." But he seems to be a shot to be as good as the great Harper Williams, maybe better.

Watching him develop is a beautiful thing. Just wait until they start calling some of the fouls that are currently being overlooked. Watch him put on 8 pounds of muscle and watch his confidence grow.
Refuse To Lose!!!

rayers
Senior

Post by rayers » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:48 pm

Great post and insights!

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:37 pm

Not much went right today, but I'm rooting for Tre to take home another Rookie of the Week award. He averaged 18.5 points and 11 rebounds in the 2 games this week.

Badger13
Freshman

Post by Badger13 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:03 am

69MG wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:37 pm Not much went right today, but I'm rooting for Tre to take home another Rookie of the Week award. He averaged 18.5 points and 11 rebounds in the 2 games this week.
Hope he gets it as well. When do they announce the league awards ? At the tournament in Brooklyn? Absolute lock on ROY!

capezona
Hall of Fame

Post by capezona » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:45 pm

If Tre scores 22 per game over the last 3 (or 16.5 over 4, or 13.2 over 5), he will pass Jim McCoy for most points ever by a freshman at UMass.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:01 pm

NEWPORT NEWS, Va. – The Atlantic 10 Conference has named Dayton sophomore Obi Toppin A-10 Men’s Basketball Player of the Week. Massachusetts freshman Tre Mitchell was selected as A-10 Rookie of the Week for the fourth consecutive week. The awards were announced Monday and are for games played Feb. 24 – March 1.

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:36 pm

Badger13 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:03 am When do they announce the league awards ? At the tournament in Brooklyn? Absolute lock on ROY!
Last year they announced the season awards on Tuesday 3/12, the day before the tournament started.

chlaur1
Junior

Post by chlaur1 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:23 pm

TheInsider wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:38 am
chlaur1 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:08 am Does anyone doubt he will be a 1st round pick if he continue to work on body at the end of his umass career?

Question for younger fans , how does Tre comPare to Camby’s freshman year?
I guess it all depends on where the NBA game is at. I will argue all day long that Tre is more basketball skilled than Obi Toppin but Obi much more resembles today's NBA player.. I'm not sure how Tre's classic big man game, as good as he is and will be, will translate.
If we can Improve his lateral quickness and explosiveness which you have to assume will happen given he’s only a freshman I think his game actually starts the NBA real well right now as a small ball big that

-can stretch the floor
-dominate smaller small ball Bigs on the post and find shooters on doubles
-facilitate offense from high post
-good defensive / shot blocking instincts

JoleonLescottsHair
Hall of Fame

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:49 pm

capezona wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:45 pm If Tre scores 22 per game over the last 3 (or 16.5 over 4, or 13.2 over 5), he will pass Jim McCoy for most points ever by a freshman at UMass.
Wow. I guess that would be 3 more games than McCoy, but that would be a serious achievement.

Cool_Hand
Sophomore

Post by Cool_Hand » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:30 pm

Casual observer. I was wondering what the ceiling is for Tre. I've heard some lofty and frankly some ridiculous comparisons and proclamations.

Fan base hasn't had much to be excited about so I get it. Finally getting to watch him a little and he exceeded by expectations. I knew he was a high skill player, but he is quicker than I thought. I still dont think he's a pro athlete. Some limitations on his vertical play coupled with height.

I think he has elite A-10 potential, very good college career, and maybe some potential for the weaker overseas league.

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:41 pm

He's a freshman who scored almost at will against a lottery big man in their most recent matchup. I don't think his ceiling is a lottery pick but Cady Lallane was drafted at the end of the 2nd round and Tre is presently much better than Cady was when he was drafted. He is going to get stronger, perhaps quicker and he has elite footwork and positioning AS A FRESHMAN.

I think his ceiling is a career NBA player, likely off the bench, but "maybe some potential for a weaker overseas league" is his absolute floor.

Worcester_To_Amherst
Senior

Post by Worcester_To_Amherst » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:22 pm

To say his ceiling is squeaking by in a second rate European league is ridiculous. Trey Davis just put up over 40 points in a D League game, and I would guess the D League is better than most leagues in Europe.

Tre absolutely has NBA potential. Whether he reaches it is another question, but I'd be shocked if he doesn't get a couple years in the league at least.

As long as he makes progress on explosiveness and shooting, he'll be a very solid pro.

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:49 pm

To add to DoctorJ's list above, I would like to submit Stephane Lasme.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pl ... sme-1.html

His 8.6 and 6.4 and A10 POY led to a cup of coffee with the NBA, then after a 2-minute stint in the DLeague (fractured his foot), he recovered a year later to play overseas for about a decade.

I see Tre's upside as a notch or two above Lasme's (a lot based on his height). Hopefully Tre can develop the heart that Stephane had - then his upside will be huge.