2020 Presidential Election

Whatever else you wanna rant about.
e_parade
Senior

Re: 2020 Presidential Election

Post by e_parade » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:25 pm

Berkman wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:06 am I can't see any of them beating Trump.
k

PintOGuinness
Junior

Post by PintOGuinness » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:05 am

Sad but likely true
Word to your motha!

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:41 pm

Health care has to get figured out one way or the other. Continuing to have it tied to employment is a relic of a bygone era. Costs are ridiculous. When a family plan has a premium of $15,000 and still has a $6000 deductible, the system is totally broken. Not sure the right way to fix it though.

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:17 am

The Robin Hood plan

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:24 am

Bloomberg rises big time in new national polls and qualifies for Wed debate to boot. He is at 19%, second only to Bernie.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/18/us/p ... mbers.html
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

e_parade
Senior

Post by e_parade » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:36 am

econalum wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:24 am Bloomberg rises big time in new national polls and qualifies for Wed debate to boot. He is at 19%, second only to Bernie.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/18/us/p ... mbers.html
Bloomberg being there technically is a good thing for Bernie, who has been shouting for years now that the process is rigged for Billionaires/the wealthy. A guy who does no fundraising and hasn't competed in any of the first primary states, joined in late, and just bought his way in by spending more than anyone other than the other billionaire (who at the very least has tried to compete and fund raise) could has now qualified.

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:39 am

I need to see the ratings on this debate. It's basically gonna be a Bloomie roast and I can't wait.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:26 pm

Coming from the same guy who lives in the middle of no where and posted that he doesn't care about political correctness. Makes sense.

In regards to Bloomberg, if he gets elected, then we have learned nothing from our mistakes in the past yet again. Just another billionaire buying his way to presidency, and that will be the new face of America; the presidential office just becomes a seat for billionaires.

You have $500 in the bank, and you spend $2.75 on a subway swipe in the crumbling MTA. A billionaire has $64 billion in the bank, and spends $350 million on TV ads bragging about how good of a mayor they were. You've spent more of your wealth than the billionaire has. Think about that.

Right now, not being on stage for the debates is only helping him, because he doesn't have to answer to questions about his past racism and sexual abuse/harassment cases he has had.

Saw some talks about Yang as well. I think there's a better chance he will run for mayor of NYC rather than the presidential race in 2024.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:28 pm

Quann wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:41 pm Health care has to get figured out one way or the other. Continuing to have it tied to employment is a relic of a bygone era. Costs are ridiculous. When a family plan has a premium of $15,000 and still has a $6000 deductible, the system is totally broken. Not sure the right way to fix it though.
The #1 reason for middle class families going bankrupt in America is healthcare. But of course, families with no health issues, and are doing well economically - they don't care about others, let's keep it the way it is they say. There are a lot of systems that are currently broken in our country, but when you have a president that stands for God... well that's all that matters. Pro-life baby! Oh the irony.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:52 pm

^^^^^
The healthcare system is most definitely broken but why the animosity toward the middle class being happy during a great economy? Trump as a person is an asshole, a dullard, the worst archetype of the ugly American. He’s been this since the early 80s so for him to continue to act like this As a president is the least bit shocking. Lefties have to accept who he is and just ignore his behavior at this point, the whining about him only gives his base and him more power.

Back to the actual election, it’s very tough for an incumbent to be beaten In the first place and throw in the economy, I just don’t see it happening in November.

And take it easy on Berkman, he’s one of the elder statesman of the board 😀

DEM
Senior

Post by DEM » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:12 am

MJatUM wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:39 am I need to see the ratings on this debate. It's basically gonna be a Bloomie roast and I can't wait.
Pretty much :oops:

DEM
Senior

Post by DEM » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:13 am

100 percent agree that, as it stands, Trump will be tough to beat. Like Quann said, it's not necessarily about Trump, it's about his being an incumbent presiding over a "good economy" - historically, that's a difficult match, regardless of who the challenger is. Trump was much more beatable in 2016, but the democrats went with the wrong candidate, both based on hypothetical polls and the anti-establishment sentiment that was apparent to anybody paying attention. In my opinion, just like in 2016, their best chance this time around will be with Bernie, if he can overcome the corporate "stop Bernie" democratic party insiders this time.

PintOGuinness
Junior

Post by PintOGuinness » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:57 am

Bernie has absolutely no shot of winning the general election v Trump. None, Neither him nor Warren. Their messages may appeal to the enlightened, hipster, liberals who reside in Northampton, NYC, San Fran, etc but that message does not play well in places like Altoona PA, Racine WI, and Ashtabula OH, all manufacturing areas in swing states which went for Trump in 16 and which the Dems will have to flip back if they have any shot.
Word to your motha!

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:02 am

Here's my thing on healthcare. we are in an age of electronic billing, electronic records, and direct online portals to your doctors. Now take a look at a company like Aetna... In 2017 they had almost 50k employees. So you go to the doctor.. the doc electronically sends a bill to Aetna.. Aetna electronically pays said bill (if they don't fight you about it first). Aetna also electronically manages your profile and care. Outside of a robust IT department, what the fuck do they need 50k employees for??? You want to cut costs??? there you go

DEM
Senior

Post by DEM » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:38 am

PintOGuinness wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:57 am Bernie has absolutely no shot of winning the general election v Trump. None, Neither him nor Warren. Their messages may appeal to the enlightened, hipster, liberals who reside in Northampton, NYC, San Fran, etc but that message does not play well in places like Altoona PA, Racine WI, and Ashtabula OH, all manufacturing areas in swing states which went for Trump in 16 and which the Dems will have to flip back if they have any shot.
Over and over again, in 2016 people were saying Trump had no shot of winning, and I and many others were repeatedly trying to tell people that they were delusional to think that. Now, we're seeing the same thing with Bernie. Although I do agree that it will be tough for ANY democrat to beat Trump, Bernie has the best shot, and the poll numbers bare that out...depending on the poll, he is usually either the best or second best vs Trump compared with the entire democratic field. The policy positions he puts as the face of his campaign (in particular economic and with respect to healthcare) have broad appeal, not just among democrats but also independents.

I agree though that Warren would be a poor general election candidate - she should not be lumped in with Bernie on this discussion, they are vastly different candidates in many respects. Besides, with the direction she has taken her campaign, she is on the verge of making herself irrelevant to this conversation anyway.