Game 24, 2019-20: George Mason (2/9)

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Re: Game 24, 2019-20: George Mason (2/9)

Post by Old Cage » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:12 pm

^ & ^^ And I just heard MM praise his D in the post-game presser.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:29 pm

This was the win I've been wanting and was glad to see them get it, even if it was tough to watch in the final 4 minutes. They're on the right side of getting a first round bye at this point, and also very satisfying to get the George Mason monkey off our backs.

I'll look on the bright side and give them credit for building a 14 point lead instead of wondering how they blew it. Preston made so many key plays, obviously that block in the final moments was huge. I'll also give McCall credit for doing what almost everyone here has wanted a coach to do forever ... bench the entire starting lineup because they got their asses whipped to open the game. When they came back in after a few minutes, they were fired up and played much much better. I feel bad for Carl. The guy works his ass off and just can't buy a bucket lately.

jrdupe
Junior

Post by jrdupe » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:36 pm

uz2b-len wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:11 pm That nice 15 to 0 run in the first half happened with Kolton at PG. He does a lot of things to impact the game.
I agree but he does need to score a bit...can't miss those easy layups like he did. East had a nice game but again was very careless with the ball during that 14-0 run by GM. I would like to see Kolton in there at those moments...at that point in the game we are trying to pound the ball down low to Tre, so we don't really need East's potential scoring ability, but we do need ball control and thats what Kolton brings.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:59 pm

Old Cage wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:55 pm I couldn't watch/listen. Something strange about Kolton's stats: 12 minutes, no points on 0-for-3, 4 steals. 3 fouls? He's just not geting it done as the starting point? Or hurt still/again?
He missed a layup or two. He’s not out there to score. One of the fouls was a phantom call. He is steady. He really reminds me of DK as a sophomore which is great because KM is a frosh. I do think his injury is still hampering him. But, I have no inside knowledge on that. Just my perception.

Battle Ax
Junior

Post by Battle Ax » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:05 pm

Old Cage wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:55 pm I couldn't watch/listen. Something strange about Kolton's stats: 12 minutes, no points on 0-for-3, 4 steals. 3 fouls? He's just not geting it done as the starting point? Or hurt still/again?
He was solid with the ball and played hard at both ends. Very good defensive player.

bobolink
Senior

Post by bobolink » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:10 pm

that was crazy. guess the odds-maker knows, setting that 2-point spread. Blowing a 14-point lead with 5 minutes to go is unacceptable. Having pretty good free throw shooters (Carl and Preston) miss critical free throws in the last 30 seconds and surviving is surprising, as is winning when Carl goes 2 for 12 and especially because this is GMU (thinking of our history, not of how good they are, because they aren't good).

Nice games from Preston and Djery and mostly from Sean and Tre also. Coach gets a + for yanking the starters to get something going, but a - for not having them ready at the start. Why did they come out so flat and lacking in energy/intensity? Well, finally a win vs. GMU. Hope they use this week to develop and not think too much about Dayton.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:37 pm

If you told me that UMass would blow a 14 point lead late in the second half, Carl Pierre would go 2-12, no rebounds, 4 fouls 2 assists and 3 turnovers and that Samba would have more turnovers than points and rebounds combined but UMass would win, I wouldn't have believed it.

As maddening as this game was....that's how good of a win it was as well.

They lost this game at Mason but held on and refused to lose today.

Preston Santos played a GREAT game...especially the block that sealed the win.

Other good things today:

Djerry Baptiste came up big with Tre in foul trouble. Easily his best game as a Minuteman! :) 8)

Sean looked more like he did earlier in the season.

Tre continues doing a great job finding of open teammates when he's double/triple teamed...most notably the pass to Diallo today...who, btw, deserved the easy hoop for moving without the ball! On another offensive possession in the 2nd half, beat a triple team with a nice move to his left for an easy lay-up.

Other thoughts:

I was late getting to the Bill today so I was able to hear the pre-game show. I was stunned when McCall called Keon a good shooter.

What's with Carl? He's shooting badly, shot selection and percentage, as has already been noted on the board. Just a slump?

Samba didn't play like the guy who either gets a double-double or is pretty close to one almost every game.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:07 pm

They played us pretty physically inside and I think that limited Samba a bit. That kid Oduro for them is going to be pretty good. Big strong kid who had some nice moves. Tre double/triple teamed a ton, need some cutters to help him out, but he did ok against the pressure. Santos really coming on. Kid is very athletic, and really hits the offensive glass. Another very good game for him

Little sloppy at the end with the ball, but take the W and learn from it. Defensive pressure was good today, will need a monster effort against Dayton so they better come out ready to play

Horace Neysmith in the house, looked to be in good shape. One of my alltime favorites to play for UMass, great to see him at the Mullins
Time to Win

rayers
Senior

Post by rayers » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:25 pm

Carl needs to drive and shoot or drive and dish a hell of a lot more. He needs a complete game going forward and he doesn’t have one now. Unless he plays a more multifaceted game I don’t think he will/should even start next year. Really seems like a quick point guard and a shot blocker would take this team to a much higher level. I’ll take any win.

Worcester_To_Amherst
Senior

Post by Worcester_To_Amherst » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:32 pm

When I first saw Preston play I figured his ceiling was a hustle/defense guy, maybe get some fast break dunks and put backs. That’s still a big part of his game, but I think he’s got potential to be a great 3rd best player on a good team. His game has improved as the season’s gone on, which is a good sign in my opinion. His shooting is better than expected and he can beat his man off the dribble (not consistently yet). Really happy he’s on the team.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:34 pm

Contrary to some of the comments here, McCall did a great job of coaching the final 4 minutes by mixing up the defenses. . When Greene started to go off. I loved Mccall's response I'm switching over to Zone. He basically told the world that Greene was not going to beat us by making layups. He also went to a Twin Towers Defense and then when there only was 18 seconds left he yanked Baptiste because of course of his poor foul shooting and he knew that it might be that time. He couldn't stop the players from making bonehead plays. But he was able to stop George Mason from taking over like they did last time. As far as Carl, they played incredibly tight defense on him. . I'm not sure if it was Greene or who but they just face guarded him every second. He did the right thing and took the ball to the hoop a couple of times. Yeah, that inbounds pass was pathetic. That was a moment of Shame.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:35 pm

rayers wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:25 pm Carl needs to drive and shoot or drive and dish a hell of a lot more. He needs a complete game going forward and he doesn’t have one now. Unless he plays a more multifaceted game I don’t think he will/should even start next year. Really seems like a quick point guard and a shot blocker would take this team to a much higher level. I’ll take any win.
I agree with you about Carl. Considering the options he Might as well start. This season. Next season we might have more Talent at the position. Although as a senior Captain he will probably start anyway.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:05 pm

The only way Carl doesn’t start next season is if he’s not on the team.

JoleonLescottsHair
Hall of Fame

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:11 pm

inthescoop wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:05 pm The only way Carl doesn’t start next season is if he’s not on the team.
Agree. Mr. UMass starts and his jersey goes in the rafters after he graduates. End of story. Absurd to think otherwise. He’s currently in a shooting slump, but he’s an absolute key to this team. He didn’t play 34 minutes today for nothing.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:13 pm

1st star (to borrow from hockey) - Preston Santos
2nd star - Tre Mitchell
3rd star - Djery Baptiste

Honorable mention - Sean East (1st half only). After a great offensive half, he did not take a shot in the second half.

Carl probably did have his worst game in a UMass uniform. Did anyone else notice how tentative he was trying to bring the ball up court? He looks like he totally lost confidence. When those 2 3 pointers went half way down and came out, he was done.

Samba also played one of his worst games. Very careless with the ball and some really dumb fouls.

I'll take a win any time but we need to clean up a few things if we're going to win the 2 winnable games on the road (Fordham and LaSalle).