State of the Progam

Get ready for some MACtion
MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Re: State of the Progam

Post by MJatUM » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:44 am

You weren't exactly the only one to pick that one...

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:29 am

stevemaz wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:28 am I think we are on the right track.. btw the Sports Psycho nailed another one with Tenn over Balt pick..

We now have two programs that show what can happen when you do things the "right" way (whatever that means). Hockey and now Womens's BB.
FIFY

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:12 pm

Anyone getting the signing show?

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:22 pm

Berkman wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:12 pm Anyone getting the signing show?
Berkie that's all in the post right below this one: https://www.umasshoops.com/newboard/vie ... &start=105

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:05 pm

I got it. Had to sign up for the one day package first. Good show, looks like we got some good athletes coming in. Lots of beef we we sorely did not have last year.

km109
Senior

Post by km109 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:03 pm

The show was really well done. I even thought Andy Gresh did a very good job and as an analyst I typically wish he would go away. I know highlights are cherry picked, but it really seemed like the guys they picked up on defense like to hit. To me that was something that seemed to be missing last year.

As Berkman mentioned, the other thing that stood out was that no matter the position these guys seem to have some size.

I guess signing day is a time for optimism. The one criticism is that the budget should be able to sustain some good mikes other than the hand held ones.

UMass02
Senior

Post by UMass02 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:20 am

I know there are much more important things going on in America right now. With that in mind...

With the country moving quickly toward recession and high unemployment (not to mention a broke NCAA and the specter of not being able to hold a 2020 season), will UMass football survive financially? I foresee lower donations, fewer season ticket holders, less interest in media rights, smaller UMass Athletics budget due to the NCAA canceling the basketball tournament, etc. At what point does the school cut and run? If this gets really bad, I can see many of these teetering FBS programs and several FCS programs fall by the wayside. I know the program has survived worse financially, but those were different times with different spending requirements.

rayers
Senior

Post by rayers » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:19 am

Just what we needed to think about.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:22 am

It's a very good question but I very much doubt that would happen.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

KahunaK
Senior

Post by KahunaK » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:24 am

It all depends on the length and severity of this pandemic. If it gets real bad, sports will be pretty low on the totem pole for funding.

Lets be optimistic though. UMASS football has a breakout year in 2020!

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:41 am

^
I suggest that anyone interested in the above comment go and listen to this podcast:

https://umassathletics.com/sports/2018/ ... x?id=10373

KahunaK
Senior

Post by KahunaK » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:48 pm

^^^ Bamford is worth listening to. He is transparent in what he thinks unlike maybe everyone of his predecessors.

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:06 pm

The college cash crisis is very real for residential universities, like UMass.

The hidden fact is that colleges use room and board to balance the books. Now, almost all colleges are rebating 1/2 semester of r&b to the parents/students as they shut down around March 10. Tens of millions of dollars are involved, right now.

Do they have the debt limits allowing for floating commercial paper to help them through this crisis? It depends heavily on what the Fed allows, and any $$ in the federal bailout. This may very well kill small residential colleges, especially in the Northeast. But cash-poor universities such as UMaine and UConn may be pulling back in a bunch of areas. Why not sports?

Another thought. Are we seeing a strategic/structural shift in how the average 18-22 year old student learns? And what is their location for learning? The more that online becomes efficacious, especially given a reduction in expenses due to no r&b, a higher percentage may stay online, or demand online from their current colleges. I teach in all OL and F2F modes, OL is catching up quickly in student interest and acceptance.

As of now, my employer is assuming no F2F learning until Fall.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:41 pm

econalum wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:06 pmAs of now, my employer is assuming no F2F learning until Fall.
On the other end of that spectrum, here's reason #14,238 why we should never, ever contract to play this school:
https://religionnews.com/2020/03/22/dea ... -too-late/

(And to get ahead of the curve, this has ZERO to do with the mention of our White House loon.)
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:37 pm

Undoubtedly Christians did the same thing during the Middle Ages/Black plague, did not work out well.

And the varying ethnic cleansings over the past 100+ years, same deal.

What if the 'the plan' is for some humility for the planet's residents?

Agree on Liberty, btw.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...