2019-20 season

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Re: 2019-20 season

Post by MJatUM » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:07 pm

When every single person in the sold out Mullins Center knew the play was going to be Jett on Iso to try and win it.

JoleonLescottsHair
Hall of Fame

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:10 pm

78 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:27 am It saddens me that McCall is making so much more than Carvel. How can this be?
And it saddens me that Carvel is making so much more than my kid’s school teacher or the local firefighter.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:16 pm

You fuckin' guys crack me up............

April 5th - August 1: "MM has some solid recruits and now that grad transfer cluster-fuck is all cleaned up, I can't wait to see this group... they will be young though, and it will take a little time to gel, plus there is a new coaching staff which will make things different too. This will be an admittedly growing pains kind of year..."

August 1 - September 15: "Did you see all those exhibition game stats, the offense sounds like it is much better, these guys may be able to win some games... we'll see"

September 15 - November 1st: "Boy those player profiles are getting my pumped, these guys are going to surprise some people..."

Nov 2 - December 1: "WOW what a start - I know we are beating NOBODY, but they are learning how to win..."

Dec 2 - Jan 1: "huh - competition is better they are showing their youth now, and MM is an idiot, he doesn't know what he is doing.... he is on a short leash..."

Jan 2 - March: "we will be lucky to come in last, this year, this team sucks, MM has NO clue how to teach basics, we need a point with a better handle, we need to just go get a real big now - AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!"

Jesus fucking chriest........... EVERYBODY knew this was going to be an up and down year and there was/is going to be more bad than good. This will get better but there is no switch to flip this season. They are taking their lumps now, but they will be administering them next season and beyond. The mood of the board was optimistic but in a very measured and realistic manner; what has changed from the April-August sentiment - NOTHING CHANGED except for [your] expectations.

I have seen A LOT of positives over the last 10 games. They have had a hard time stringing it all together, but there are a lot of parts that are working better than they were 2 months ago.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:26 pm

Good thing we got that timeline cleared up.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:17 pm

I hear what you are saying eldon and I try to be in the reasonable not overreacting camp (unless I’m having a debate with someone I find annoying and/or wrong) — just not sure I see all these parts that are working better. I am guessing some of that has to do with the step up in competition, but not all of it. There are games and stretches of games where they play well but I haven’t seen a ton of progress or a level of progress I was expecting. Maybe I’m wrong.

That GW game was pretty fucking awful and when combined with the overall record as of late (even when we’ve played well we’ve usually lost) I can understand how it would lead some folks to the ledge. I’m not at the ledge with McCall yet but I am closer than I was at the beginning of the year. Still not incredibly close, but closer. I just haven’t seen much this year that has me feeling warm and fuzzy about him as a coach. I don’t what he’s done well. Maybe I am missing it, I don’t know.

I also just want to point out that the internet is not only the home court of the overreaction — its also the home court of the overreaction to the overreaction.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:37 pm

eldonabe wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:16 pm. The mood of the board was optimistic but in a very measured and realistic manner; what has changed from the April-August sentiment - NOTHING CHANGED except for [your] expectations.
Well, uh, TJ out for the rest of season, Kolton got hurt, Buggs got hurt, and Sy left.

Couple changes
Time to Win

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:23 pm

eldonabe wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:16 pm April 5th - August 1: "MM has some solid recruits and now that grad transfer cluster-fuck is all cleaned up, I can't wait to see this group... they will be young though, and it will take a little time to gel, plus there is a new coaching staff which will make things different too. This will be an admittedly growing pains kind of year..."
You're not totally wrong, but I'd argue you're ignoring the fact that UMass has looked rather terrible of late, and arguably worse than they did earlier in the season (against teams as good or better than Bona, La Salle, and GW).

So the issue isn't just that they're losing, it's that they look bad doing it, and they seem to have gotten worse as the season has gone on. The loss of TJ and Sy might be contributing to this, but I believe they shouldn't be this bad.

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:39 pm

They haven’t really had Sy all year so I don’t think his loss is much of a factor (well at least in comparing them vs earlier in the year).

I do think the loss of TJ — and opponents adjusting to his absence — has hurt the team on offense. When East has been good that sometimes has been masked but when East has been bad they are rough to watch on offense. And lately he’s been a lot more bad than good. They just don’t have enough shooting/scorers with TJ out.

Defensively they have had a few inspired stretches but for the most part they’ve struggled at that end all year. A lot of that probably is youth.

I’ll be happy if we get a little tougher on defense (whether or not we are pressing or not) and if they cut down the turnovers and bad shots on offense. That sounds familiar.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:32 am

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:26 pm Good thing we got that timeline cleared up.
Fuck you IV ............ Go yell "Fuck" next to some 10 year-olds in the stands and defend that.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:56 am

Jackson96 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:17 pm I hear what you are saying eldon and I try to be in the reasonable not overreacting camp (unless I’m having a debate with someone I find annoying and/or wrong) — just not sure I see all these parts that are working better. I am guessing some of that has to do with the step up in competition, but not all of it. There are games and stretches of games where they play well but I haven’t seen a ton of progress or a level of progress I was expecting. Maybe I’m wrong.

That GW game was pretty fucking awful and when combined with the overall record as of late (even when we’ve played well we’ve usually lost) I can understand how it would lead some folks to the ledge. I’m not at the ledge with McCall yet but I am closer than I was at the beginning of the year. Still not incredibly close, but closer. I just haven’t seen much this year that has me feeling warm and fuzzy about him as a coach. I don’t what he’s done well. Maybe I am missing it, I don’t know.

I also just want to point out that the internet is not only the home court of the overreaction — its also the home court of the overreaction to the overreaction.

They have looked bad in totality. There is no arguing it. The couple of injuries haven't helped. IMO Sy was never really here so that doesn't even count. When I say I see parts, I am just looking at individuals at this point. They are all working on their game now and each one does some good stuff, it is just not enough to sustain it for long stretched yet.....

I don't know what to think about MM at this point. I am watching the GW game (among others) and I see that dumb two man press - i think that is just dumb and a wast of energy for the two guards who are running it, at least they way they are running it now. They maybe take an extra 3-4 seconds off the shot clock.... I would rather they get back and pick them up right at half court where the other three may actually be able to help over the top passes.

At this point I think MM has assembled some really good parts. But the point of my TimeLine post was that the expectations from last Spring were the correct ones and the situation as described WAS exactly correct for what is happening right now. They are young and learning.... that is not a recipe for a lot of wins. I will take a 20 point drubbing from GW this year under these circumstances. I am keeping my perspective on this and not moving the goal posts based on anything that has happened over the season so far. THAT WAS THE POINT that was clearly lost on many.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:02 am

eldonabe wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:32 amFuck you IV ............ Go yell "Fuck" next to some 10 year-olds in the stands and defend that.

No seriously, thank you for the timeline.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Roadtrip
Hall of Fame

Post by Roadtrip » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:39 am

I don't give a shit about youth, injuries, lack of fundamentals; that loss at home to GW ranks as one of the worse losses in recent history. Way to go team. You finally add about a thousand fans to what you have been getting, and lay a putrid egg. It stinks! When you lose your top scorer, you step up, not shit the bed. McCall best get his head out of his ass and fix this. Enough.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:07 am

eldonabe wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:56 amAt this point I think MM has assembled some really good parts. But the point of my TimeLine post was that the expectations from last Spring were the correct ones and the situation as described WAS exactly correct for what is happening right now. They are young and learning.... that is not a recipe for a lot of wins. I will take a 20 point drubbing from GW this year under these circumstances. I am keeping my perspective on this and not moving the goal posts based on anything that has happened over the season so far. THAT WAS THE POINT that was clearly lost on many.
I get what you're saying and I agree with you. I think what prompted the harsh responses to the GW game is not that they lost but that the way they played.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:27 am

eldonabe wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:32 am
InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:26 pm Good thing we got that timeline cleared up.
Fuck you IV ............ Go yell "Fuck" next to some 10 year-olds in the stands and defend that.
Is this some kind of inside joke?
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:29 am

PreecherJenkins wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:27 am

Is this some kind of inside joke?

Oh no, not at all. He doesn't like the Hey Song so his go-to when he is mad at me is to tell me to yell Fuck in front of children, and then defend it. It's cute.

It's weird in this specific situation, though, because he and I are on the exact same page about the current UMass Basketball situation.