Game 17, 2019-20: at St Bonaventure (Rochester, 1/15)

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
jrdupe
Junior

Re: Game 17, 2019-20: at St Bonaventure (Rochester, 1/15)

Post by jrdupe » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:10 am

Juice Stand wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:52 am To be clear, I'm not calling for McCall's head, not even close. What I'm saying is that the losing has to start taking a toll on these guys, and of course losing Sy and TJ hurts, but we still have talented players out there. What I'd like to start seeing from McCall is winning a couple road games and having a competitive showing against "better" teams. The St Louis OT loss was a good example, but for the most part, it's been tough to watch. In Walfish's recap today, he put out the numbers on McCalls overall and A10 road records, and they're putrid. On to GW - the win streak starts Saturday.
I agree with what you said about winning some road games...I said to my son last night...we need to win a game we're not supposed to! It's been a while since we've done that.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:32 am

Everyone needs to take a long, deep breath. This is exactly how this season should have been expected to go. A 3rd straight major roster turnover coupled with a coaching staff change under McCall was only going to lead to struggles this year. Next year is when I fully expect things to take a turn for the better. The talent is there, and McCall has shown flashes of being able to coach it. The key is his growth as a coach and keeping this team together and avoiding any major departures.

I personally believe he will continue to get better and I don't expect any roster upheaval considering how close most of the players are with this new staff. This will get better.

Patience, folks.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:38 am

Yeah, look how IV has transformed into this mellow , positive dude. Things can happen!
Time to Win

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:59 am

Floyd wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:38 am Yeah, look how IV has transformed into this mellow , positive dude. Things can happen!
:lol:

I've always been on the positive/glass half full side of things. Mellow is debatable. :wink:
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

e_parade
Senior

Post by e_parade » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:13 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:59 am
Floyd wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:38 am Yeah, look how IV has transformed into this mellow , positive dude. Things can happen!
:lol:

I've always been on the positive/glass half full side of things. Mellow is debatable. :wink:
Are you talking about keeping your beer at least half full or...

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:15 pm

jrdupe wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:10 am I agree with what you said about winning some road games...I said to my son last night...we need to win a game we're not supposed to! It's been a while since we've done that.
Didn't we beat Rhode Island at the Mullins last year?
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:28 pm

e_parade wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:13 pm
Are you talking about keeping your beer at least half full or...

Beer would be one of the beverages I'd have in a glass half full!

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:44 pm

uz2b-len wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:15 pm
jrdupe wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:10 am I agree with what you said about winning some road games...I said to my son last night...we need to win a game we're not supposed to! It's been a while since we've done that.
Didn't we beat Rhode Island at the Mullins last year?
Last year we beat Providence, URI, Richmond and Davidson. I doubt we were favored in any of those games. The problem was that we couldn't beat Fordham, GW, GMU or LaSalle.

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:34 pm

Yeah they won a small handful of games last year that they weren't favored in. This year, I don't think they've won a single game where they were the dog (maybe Fairfield?). They've certainly had their chances.

I think I've been both encouraged and disappointed at times throughout the season (probably like that every season) The young kids have some talent and seem to care so that is encouraging. The defense for the most part, has gotten worse as the competition has increased so that is discouraging. Tre is someone you can build around so that is encouraging. Still not sure if McCall is the guy so that is discouraging (only in that I hoped he would have convinced me he was the guy by now).

At any rate, we don't have a ton of (any?) guys that are good at both ends of the floor. We have some guys that are pretty good on defense but aren't much to right home about offensively and vice versa. My hope is the young kids that aren't great on defense get better as they gain strength and experience and that the guys who hurt the offense improve their skills to the point where they aren't a drag on the spacing.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:46 pm

I don't recall where it opened but I believe we closed -2 against Fairfield. I thought I remember us being small dogs to Northeastern... Not that winning outright as a small dog is anything to write home about.... I'm sure (know) there are sites that track your straight up record as a favorite or dog and I believe Northeastern would be our only win as a dog.

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:51 pm

jrdupe wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:42 am IMO there is no chance McCall is on the hot seat...if anyone thought they were winning 20 games this year they need to take their maroon colored glasses off. I think we all knew how good Weeks was, but I don't think we realized just how important he was to this team. No one knows for sure how the games he missed would have played out, but I feel like they would have won a couple of them...all of a sudden they are 9-8 instead of 7-10 and we're feeling pretty good about ourselves. I know I was also pretty outspoken about Sy and his attitude, but after watching Baptiste...Sy at least would have given us some scoring and been just as good defensively as Djery. Every time Tre leaves the game I hold my breathe they don't go down by 10.

I feel like McCall needs three years with these Freshman...they are 18-19 yr old boys playing against 21-22 year old men. I watch quite a bit of Houston's games and I am amazed at how much better Jarreau and especially Gresham are now 4 years later. Gresham was lost his freshman year here...he is a beast now. If McCall leaves, unless they keep Bergeron as head coach, which would probably be a mistake, all these guys leave too. We can't keep hitting the reset button every 2-3 years and expect them to be relevant. Not saying give him 5-6 years of this, but he deserves at least until these guys become Juniors...if they are still sub .500 then I understand moving on.
I had to laugh at the Jarreau and Gresham comment. Gresham is a role player for Houston getting 15 minutes a game, while Jarreau, who thought he belonged in The League, is averaging just under 10 points a game while shooting 38 percent from the field and 20 percent from beyond the arc. That last class that DK brought here ended up being mostly hype.
Last edited by 78 on Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:52 pm

Jackson96 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:34 pm At any rate, we don't have a ton of (any?) guys that are good at both ends of the floor. We have some guys that are pretty good on defense but aren't much to right home about offensively and vice versa. My hope is the young kids that aren't great on defense get better as they gain strength and experience and that the guys who hurt the offense improve their skills to the point where they aren't a drag on the spacing.
That is a great point. It's too bad you can't play BB like FB. We could play a great D team with Keon, Preston, Samba, Dibaji and Djery. Other than Samba and sometimes Keon, we wouldn't score many points. I don't envision these guys getting a lot better on offense, so it will be up to the other 5 to get better on D.

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:58 pm

Getting back to the same (sort of), do you know who the second youngest team in the A10 is? That would be the Bonnies, who have won 11 out of their last 12.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:51 pm

I think next year is a make or break year for McCall. While Weeks was a major loss I do not see Sy Chatman leaving as a game changer.

As deficient as we are where would McCall be if Bergeron had not come and brought Tre and CJ with him.

Definitely a team with a better attitude than the previous two.

UMassHoops
Senior

Post by UMassHoops » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:55 pm

Have to be honest not impressed with MM at all so far. I give Bergeron the credit for getting our best two players here in Tre and TJ. Not calling for his head this year, but next year is make or break, if there isn't a major leap and frankly improvement the rest of this season then we need to move on.

We better get some more size in next year, losing Djery we are too small. We don't need a 7 footer, but we do need a bruiser who can clear rebounds and hold his ground vs. other bigs defensively.

The bright side, Tre Mitchell is amazing. He and TJ are quite the foundation for MM to build on.