State of the Progam

Get ready for some MACtion
McKinney
Senior

Re: State of the Progam

Post by McKinney » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:07 am

minutefanjsf wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:32 pm
Old Cage wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:05 pm Now we have a guy on twitter claiming that an "unfortunate" list of transfers out of our program will come to light.
Link? I didn’t see that one. But it’s not surprising since the AD just said in a news article that Bell is working on getting his own players into the program.
https://twitter.com/zoo_mass/status/1201286558265073665

I've not heard of this guy before.
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:16 am

McKinney wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:07 am
minutefanjsf wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:32 pm
Old Cage wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:05 pm Now we have a guy on twitter claiming that an "unfortunate" list of transfers out of our program will come to light.
Link? I didn’t see that one. But it’s not surprising since the AD just said in a news article that Bell is working on getting his own players into the program.
https://twitter.com/zoo_mass/status/1201286558265073665

I've not heard of this guy before.
Thanks. Just gave him a follow. Seems like he is stating what we already knew. Britt, Dingle, Ally and then it’s a toss up for which LBs, but most likely kids who can grad transfer.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:30 am

I think this is the guy that just copies what Fight Massachusetts (24/7 Sports) puts out there.

Not saying the details aren't legit, but they are 3 or 4th hand.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:37 am

photoman wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:31 pm
Floyd wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:13 pm No football at The University of Massachusetts would be a sin. Absolutely have to figure it out. Can't even imagine there not being a program.
Life with no football at UMass would be hard for us to deal with, but I guarantee you that no one at Boston University or Northeastern ever thinks about their football past. It's just gone and they've moved on.
After this year, +1 - UMass should have a legitimate and strict 10 year plan going forward; if we don't reach our goals by then, move on and use all that money towards academics.

m626t
Hall of Fame

Post by m626t » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:45 am

from Fight Massachusetts...included on a list of the top 10 transfer portal players available

" Joseph Norwood, S, UMass
Ranking: No. 920 in 2018 class
Likely the least-known name on this list, Norwood quickly developed into a star for a struggling UMass defense. The 5-foot-11, 180-pound safety finished his freshman season with 48 tackles, two tackles for loss and two fumble recoveries. Through four games in 2019, Norwood ranked among UMass’ team leaders with 27 tackles and an interception. Norwood was the second-highest ranked recruit to sign with UMass in the program’s history. "
All due respect, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, I'm gonna pass.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:03 pm

inthescoop wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:37 am

After this year, +1 - UMass should have a legitimate and strict 10 year plan going forward; if we don't reach our goals by then, move on and use all that money towards academics.
Yeah, that's not going to happen. They get rid of football, the state will remove that money from the school/system's budget. That's part of the false narrative being driven by those (not you...) looking to can football.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:47 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:03 pm
inthescoop wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:37 am

Yeah, that's not going to happen. They get rid of football, the state will remove that money from the school/system's budget. That's part of the false narrative being driven by those (not you...) looking to can football.
Exactly!!!!! It's all budgeted/appropriated $$$$. There is no "savings", they just reduce the future budgets.

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:00 pm

So if the transfer rumors are true, the only running backs on the team next year will be those who are included in this year's recruiting class. I guess we have to include Roberson, a converted wide receiver and Santiago, a converted linebacker, but I would prefer real running backs. It's easy to see this team winning one game max again next year.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:17 pm

78 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:00 pm So if the transfer rumors are true, the only running backs on the team next year will be those who are included in this year's recruiting class. I guess we have to include Roberson, a converted wide receiver and Santiago, a converted linebacker, but I would prefer real running backs. It's easy to see this team winning one game max again next year.
Is Torres gone? Also there were 3 freshmen RBs that were decent size, (all from instate, PWO, maybe?) not sure if they can run....or pass protect...I don’t think any of them got in a game as true freshmen.

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:46 am

someone answer this please

how many of the guys jumping off the "bell tower" are guys who rang the bell when Walter A Bell VI was hired?
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:08 pm

Jacksonville University drops football:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 595578001/

UMass football still has its supporters but they are diminishing every year. I do feel that dropping football (can't believe I wrote that) could be a possibility if things keep going like they are with the embarrassing losing, players quitting/transferring in large numbers (yes I know that this is college football right now but to many others it just looks bad).

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:54 pm

dennisdent wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:08 pm Jacksonville University drops football:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 595578001/

UMass football still has its supporters but they are diminishing every year. I do feel that dropping football (can't believe I wrote that) could be a possibility if things keep going like they are with the embarrassing losing, players quitting/transferring in large numbers (yes I know that this is college football right now but to many others it just looks bad).
We can argue whether institutional size and status matter to supporting football, but for context, UMass is more than 8 times the size of Jacksonville Univerisity in terms of enrollment, endowment, budget, etc. UMass is more stable from a long-term institutional and financial perspective.

I'd argue this is important because it's been a common denominator in programs who have dropped football. When a school is tight on cash, expensive athletic programs could get put on the chopping block. Again, for context, the median endowment per undergrad for private schools was ~36k (mean ~$94k) in 2015 while JU has and endowment per undergrad of ~$15k in 2018. While JU hasn't been in the news or anything, Massachusetts residents should be very familiar with the pressures small, not particularly wealthy, private colleges are facing.

Jacksonville University is a small, not particularly wealthy, private college trying to operate Division I athletics...

Candidly, in my opinion, if JU was in Massachusetts and not Florida I'd bet they'd be playing DIII.

https://www.openthebooks.com/assets/1/7 ... wments.pdf
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:58 pm

Had a lot typed out but McKinney beat me to the punch. The JU situation is almost nothing like the UMass situation.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:17 pm

And, they were playing FCS which we know costs more....

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:37 pm

minutefanjsf wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:17 pm
78 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:00 pm So if the transfer rumors are true, the only running backs on the team next year will be those who are included in this year's recruiting class. I guess we have to include Roberson, a converted wide receiver and Santiago, a converted linebacker, but I would prefer real running backs. It's easy to see this team winning one game max again next year.
Is Torres gone? Also there were 3 freshmen RBs that were decent size, (all from instate, PWO, maybe?) not sure if they can run....or pass protect...I don’t think any of them got in a game as true freshmen.
I guess that's my point. None of these guys played. Not sure if any of them are scholarship players or if they are good and there are expectations for them. My point stands that the only two running backs who played and who will be returning are a converted wide receiver and a converted running back. Doesn't give me much confidence.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon