2020 Season

Get ready for some MACtion
Roadtrip
Hall of Fame

Re: 2020 Season

Post by Roadtrip » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:27 am

McKinney wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:46 am An AD in his right mind wouldn't seriously extend the contract of a sub 0.500 coach in his 4th season, right?
Is this question medical, philosophical, or rhetorical?

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:54 pm

The opposite is true..we will be hoping he stays for 2023.. and he will, then bolt.

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:56 pm

Roadtrip wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:22 am ^He smoking the good stuff early again.
A more accurate statement would be "he must be spreading the good stuff on his toast"

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:11 pm

^^^^
Just like Bill Lee with his pancakes :D I like your optimism Steve but you live on Planet Delusia.

Jack
Senior

Post by Jack » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:11 pm

As long as Coach Bell insists on running a HUNH offense w/o the personnel to succeed (including a QB) , then Bell's offense will likely continue to generate blowout losses and unwatchable football. Inexplicably, this is all apparently okay w/Mr. Bamford.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:12 pm

McKinney wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:46 am
stevemaz wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:07 am From the mind of the great one.. ..Bell is going to land a savior at QB (grad transfer) that will add more pts and time of possession and lower our pts against to around 40 per game. We will beat Albany and Troy (who is headed for bottom 10 status) and possibly at Akron. 3-9.

Now, let's jump ahead to 2021 where we become reasonably respectable, akin to the best of the Whipple years.

2022 bowl bound.. 10-0 heading into College Station.. LOL.. I am just kidding with this prediction but I have used this line a few times to stress that we are going to be a good team with a winning record. The place will be sold out for the Army game on 11/26 leading to finalization of stadium expansion plans.

2023. Down goes Auburn on 9/9.
Well, if we aren't bowl-bound in 2022 I have to think Bell is canned (if he hasn't been already before then). An AD in his right mind wouldn't seriously extend the contract of a sub 0.500 coach in his 4th season, right?
Have to comment here: if we go 1-11 in 2020 & 2021; I think they may can the program. We are already losing recruits and current players & don't know if we can field a team. I hope I'm wrong.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:14 pm

Jack wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:11 pm As long as Coach Bell insists on running a HUNH offense w/o the personnel to succeed (including a QB) , then Bell's offense will likely continue to generate blowout losses and unwatchable football. Inexplicably, this is all apparently okay w/Mr. Bamford.
I emailed Mr. Bamford after the SIU loss and didn't get an encouraging response.

Jack
Senior

Post by Jack » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:51 pm

ZooMass84 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:14 pm
Jack wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:11 pm As long as Coach Bell insists on running a HUNH offense w/o the personnel to succeed (including a QB) , then Bell's offense will likely continue to generate blowout losses and unwatchable football. Inexplicably, this is all apparently okay w/Mr. Bamford.
I emailed Mr. Bamford after the SIU loss and didn't get an encouraging response.
Did Mr. Bamford indicate to you what his thinking is in terms of how Coach Bell's HUNH offense is going to produce competitive football games ???? To me Coach Bell's offense seems to be designed to enable the opponent to score as often as possible. However I just played football and I was schooled on the quaint concept of playing complimentary football - which is largely about ball control and keeping your defense relatively fresh. In contrast Coach Bell seems determined to get his offense off the field as quickly as possible and wearing out his defense while keeping his opponent's defense fresh. To me that is a strategy for failure and I find it hard to believe that from his view in the AD's Suite - Mr. Bamford is unable of seeing the same thing. I get it that at the High School level the HUNH can be successful - but you don't really see successful football teams running HUNH in the NFL or in major CFB. Perhaps I am mistaken and somebody can show me a team that plays major CFB and successfully employs the HUNH. Can we hire Whip back and go back to running a pro style offense, trying to play complimentary football and be competitive, avoiding blowout losses, beating Uconn and incrementally improving the program???? :roll: :roll:

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:27 pm

Jack wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:51 pm I get it that at the High School level the HUNH can be successful - but you don't really see successful football teams running HUNH in the NFL or in major CFB. Perhaps I am mistaken and somebody can show me a team that plays major CFB and successfully employs the HUNH.
I can't speak to who consistently and explicitly runs "hurry-up" and who doesn't. But we can measure tempo: the time between snaps (time of possession/number of plays on offense). This year UMass is the 10th "fastest" team in the country, snapping the ball every ~22 seconds.

UCF the past few years, this year's SMU, 2018 Utah State and Syracuse, 2017 Oklahoma State are probably the most notable teams in the past few years who have successfully operated really really fast. There are teams who execute it well and teams who do not. This year's UMass team was one who did not.

And yes, going three-and-out in the matter of a minute can be really tough on a defense. But going three-and-out, in general, is really tough on a defense.
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:10 pm

Withe the rumblings of more transfers leaving, all I can say is BYE.....

I simply don't want anyone here who doesn't want to be here or follow the rules to stay here. These are Whip's guys. I have not heard many/any real reports of Whip being loose, but clearly these kids are being held to a different standard -- I am not saying a "higher standard" only a different one that they are not used to. If Bell's recruits start filing out the door in big numbers, only then will i have a problem with what Bell is doing.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:13 pm

2020 Season.... renew your season tickets or buy them for the first time if you don't have them. Can't make it to all the games? Flex the ones you can't go to to ones you can (like Homecoming, for example...). Why? Because we need to support the program and the school and it costs very little to do so as a season ticket holder for Football. Even those that want Bell canned now should renew or sign up... can't buyout a coach without money.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:58 am

I may double up to 8 tix next year

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:17 am

Just listened to the podcast with Bamford and I was not impressed at all! He totally contradicts himself by saying that UMass won two years ago at BYU by using transfers Ford and Breneman because they were "seasoned college football players," but spends the first part of the interview saying that transfers are not the way to build a winning program! Schools like UMass need to take specific transfers because the program will never be able to recruit and build a program like the big schools. I watched Kansas State and Bill Snyder build a program when I lived Manhattan KS by taking JUCOs/transfers and local walk-ons and building a winning program.

My personal opinion Bell should be the one answering these type of questions on the football program and not the AD! Bamford said what a great recruiter Bell is known for but it has been shown that all the major schools he has worked for had their coaches fired! No actual evidence that anyone Bell recruited has succeed in a winning program since his days at ASU. Bamford means well but he's too vested in Bell's success, which is clouding his oversight of the program. I have seen that in the corporate world where a boss will hire someone and basically do anything to make sure that person succeeds even when it hurts the organization. In the end, both of them were fired...

In my view, Bamford needs step back and say that Bell speaks for the football program like most, if not all FBS coaches do. The Chancellor did pretty much said the same thing when he was asked about the football program and that Bamford speaks for the AD at UMass. Bamford is being too hands-on which is taking away from having the coach be the voice of the program. When Whip messed up last season that's when the AD should be involved, not talking about recruiting ranking numbers and transfers--that's on the head coach. Get the feeling that Bamford is being a micro manager with Bell.

https://umassathletics.com/sports/2018/ ... dcast.aspx

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:57 pm

dennisdent wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:17 am Just listened to the podcast with Bamford and I was not impressed at all! He totally contradicts himself by saying that UMass won two years ago at BYU by using transfers Ford and Breneman because they were "seasoned college football players," but spends the first part of the interview saying that transfers are not the way to build a winning program! Schools like UMass need to take specific transfers because the program will never be able to recruit and build a program like the big schools. I watched Kansas State and Bill Snyder build a program when I lived Manhattan KS by taking JUCOs/transfers and local walk-ons and building a winning program.

My personal opinion Bell should be the one answering these type of questions on the football program and not the AD! Bamford said what a great recruiter Bell is known for but it has been shown that all the major schools he has worked for had their coaches fired! No actual evidence that anyone Bell recruited has succeed in a winning program since his days at ASU. Bamford means well but he's too vested in Bell's success, which is clouding his oversight of the program. I have seen that in the corporate world where a boss will hire someone and basically do anything to make sure that person succeeds even when it hurts the organization. In the end, both of them were fired...

In my view, Bamford needs step back and say that Bell speaks for the football program like most, if not all FBS coaches do. The Chancellor did pretty much said the same thing when he was asked about the football program and that Bamford speaks for the AD at UMass. Bamford is being too hands-on which is taking away from having the coach be the voice of the program. When Whip messed up last season that's when the AD should be involved, not talking about recruiting ranking numbers and transfers--that's on the head coach. Get the feeling that Bamford is being a micro manager with Bell.

https://umassathletics.com/sports/2018/ ... dcast.aspx
I think the landscape has changed. Bamford hinted at this. UMass has a much more rigorous standard for academics than other places around the country. We tried the transfer route and it didn't work. Whip was not able to attract or retain kids to keep us competitive. He didn't say we won't take transfers and JUCO. He said that can't be the trend or pattern. He said Buffalo is a good model to follow.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:22 pm

^^^^^
I’d take Buffalo’s recent success.