Videos of old games

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
69MG
Hall of Fame

Re: Videos of old games

Post by 69MG » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:23 pm

Good find. However, I lived through UMass BB in the 80's once already and it wasn't pleasant. :(

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:27 pm

69MG wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:23 pm Good find. However, I lived through UMass BB in the 80's once already and it wasn't pleasant. :(
I know, rough stuff.

Lorenzo Sutton is fun to see in this and a couple guys Cal ended up with in his first year.
Refuse To Lose!!!

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:27 pm

Let us know if any additional games are posted on YouTube. Given the lack of a post-season this year, it would be nice to see some lost gems. If you got 'em, please post 'em.

Here is one to help ease the pain of today...

93 94 Pre Season NIT UMass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV50GzDPTuA
Refuse To Lose!!!

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:47 pm

Thanks DoctorJ ! That was great. Watched the whole game last night before bed.

What a stacked team that was, Camby, Roe, Dingle, Bright, DK, Mike Williams, Padilla, even Meyer was solid.

Best thing all week
Time to Win

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:57 pm

I'm glad you enjoyed it!!! That's my favorite team of all time. Like you said, they were stacked!!!

Here is one that I like that doesn't get a lot of views but is worth a watch!!!

94 95 UMass Starter Tip Off Classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywZH2uf78Lo
Refuse To Lose!!!

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:10 pm

This appears to be the only game from the Bruiser era on YouTube. Unfortunately the last couple seconds appear to be missing but some fun players to watch again.

UMass vs Marquette

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6n27clt-G4
Refuse To Lose!!!

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:43 pm

That Marquette game is brutal to watch. there were like 500 fouls in that game.

does anyone have the temple game from 2001? When Dicky V came to town. the crowd was awesome that day, then the game started..
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:53 pm

^

Not that I've ever seen, but here are many fun reads about that atrocious game:

https://umasshoops.com/games/2000-01/0217temple/

Some interesting headlines on Matty's articles from that one.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:35 pm

^

There was some concert at mullins the day before that game, had to practice at the cage. The ticket office at the time was on the 2nd floor of the cage, the entire two hours was a stream of students getting tickets. not sure the noise the caused the L but def did not help not having a closed practice that evening.
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:23 pm

We have some great games on YouTube, if you're bored. But if you're really bored, please add more!!!

Anybody got the Camby vs. Duncan game?

UMass vs Sienna in the NIT? I posted the rematch and it gets a lot of watches.

Last season I put out a call to fans to post your vids or send them to me and I will post them. We more than doubled the UMass games on YouTube. Looks good for recruits to be able to watch the games we talk about here. Even more fun for us to relive the golden days and even some vids from the dark days of the 80s. Nothing from the 70s yet, will be harder as recording was not yet en vogue.

Can we pick up some more classics this off-season??? My well is dry. Please support the effort. I suspect some of us have some free time.

Go, U, UMass, GO UMASS!!!
Refuse To Lose!!!

Worcester_To_Amherst
Senior

Post by Worcester_To_Amherst » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:13 am

DoctorJ wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:23 pm We have some great games on YouTube, if you're bored. But if you're really bored, please add more!!!

Anybody got the Camby vs. Duncan game?

UMass vs Sienna in the NIT? I posted the rematch and it gets a lot of watches.

Last season I put out a call to fans to post your vids or send them to me and I will post them. We more than doubled the UMass games on YouTube. Looks good for recruits to be able to watch the games we talk about here. Even more fun for us to relive the golden days and even some vids from the dark days of the 80s. Nothing from the 70s yet, will be harder as recording was not yet en vogue.

Can we pick up some more classics this off-season??? My well is dry. Please support the effort. I suspect some of us have some free time.

Go, U, UMass, GO UMASS!!!
I don’t have any, but as a newer fan I appreciate the old videos. My older siblings were at UMass in the late 80s and 90s, but I was still too young to really be a fan. I vaguely remember watching a game when they were ranked #1 (96 I think?), but that’s it from childhood. Truthfully I didn’t care about the team until after I graduated in ‘11.

The old games are great and I’ll definitely be watching some during this quarantine.

rayers
Senior

Post by rayers » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:39 am

Does anyone know if there is video of the game where UMass came from down 18 with a little over 4 minutes to go and beat West Virginia in Morgantown? I am guessing is was 96? I remember listening to it on the radio. I consider it to be the greatest comeback of all time but it never gets mentioned in national media.

Kelz626
Junior

Post by Kelz626 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:32 am

Dr J do you upload from VHS to YouTube? I have a bunch of games from the Ford era, the early season win at Syracuse, the comeback from down 20 at Syracuse in the NIT ect just never knew how to convert from vhs. Also have most games from the 2006 football season as well

capezona
Hall of Fame

Post by capezona » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:33 am

rayers wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:39 am Does anyone know if there is video of the game where UMass came from down 18 with a little over 4 minutes to go and beat West Virginia in Morgantown? I am guessing is was 96? I remember listening to it on the radio. I consider it to be the greatest comeback of all time but it never gets mentioned in national media.
I remember that game but I don't see it on the schedule in either 95-96 or 96-97.

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:17 pm

The West Virginia game is out there in three parts but they never posted part three where we win.
Refuse To Lose!!!