Post by Sheck » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:52 pm

#maction 🚩#flagship

Quann
Hall of Fame

Re: State of the Progam

Post by Quann » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:05 am

ZooMass84 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:22 pm
Quann wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:33 pm ^^^^^
Meehans comments were not that shocking to me, he’s well versed in passing the buck as a lifetime MA pol. UMass system presidents have consistently undermined the real and only UMass for decades. This is just another case of that. It’s annoying but predictable from that office. Move the physical building out of Boston and maybe we’ll get someone that stands up for the flagship.
He was actually very supportive. What negative comments did he make? I just read the article.
See UMass02’s comment above. He summed it up perfectly. Passed the buck and threw the Amherst campus under the bus.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:27 am

Quann wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:05 am
ZooMass84 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:22 pm
Quann wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:33 pm ^^^^^
Meehans comments were not that shocking to me, he’s well versed in passing the buck as a lifetime MA pol. UMass system presidents have consistently undermined the real and only UMass for decades. This is just another case of that. It’s annoying but predictable from that office. Move the physical building out of Boston and maybe we’ll get someone that stands up for the flagship.
He was actually very supportive. What negative comments did he make? I just read the article.
See UMass02’s comment above. He summed it up perfectly. Passed the buck and threw the Amherst campus under the bus.
I read the article and Meehan was supportive of UMass football. I'm not going to argue with you. He said nothing unsupportive of the program. Dan Shaughnessy is an a$$hole and obviously has an agenda against UMass. Unfortunately he has a job at the Boston Globe for life and can rag on UMass forever. He is jealous that Holy Cross plays in the little Partiot League and we play FBS football. My take on the state of the program is that even though we are terrible, we are not dropping to 1AA or dropping the program. There are too many jobs at stake and thank God we live in the 4th wealthiest state in the US. We're not Idaho and have to drop to 1AA. Hopefully we can get up to 85 scholarship players and win a game or two against some real teams like App State. The second half of 2017 was great. I wish Bell would stop with the hurry up offense and play Curtis or anybody else other than Brito. Brito is not an FBS QB. He's not Flutie or Kyler Murray.

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:30 am

No doubt, the #1 thing Bell needs to do is to find two QBS. A grad transfer to take the reigns next year and an incoming freshman to take over in 2 years.

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:02 am

^^^^
Gee, that's all...just two QBs? :lol: :lol: :lol: I guess there's no need to worry about the defense next year.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:07 am

78 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:02 am ^^^^
Gee, that's all...just two QBs? :lol: :lol: :lol: I guess there's no need to worry about the defense next year.
Steve wrote the number one thing not only. If we had competent QB play yesterday, alone we would have increased TOP and scored two maybe three TDs. Both of those things don’t directly make guys tackle or play better defense, which we drastically need, but it would help.

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:21 am

My point is, he makes it sound like finding two good quarterbacks in one recruiting cycle is simple. The guy’s posts just make me laugh, that’s all. And given the way Bell thinks regarding starting quarterbacks, who says next year he will be starting the best at the position. :lol:

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:20 am

78 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:21 am My point is, he makes it sound like finding two good quarterbacks in one recruiting cycle is simple. The guy’s posts just make me laugh, that’s all. And given the way Bell thinks regarding starting quarterbacks, who says next year he will be starting the best at the position. :lol:
missed the point in translation. sorry. It is tough to get two QBs but Martin is a stud and getting a JuCO to come in compete and maybe allow Martin to Redshirt would ideal.

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:08 pm

I think Martin will be good...I’m not certain though...

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:19 pm

78 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:08 pm I think Martin will be good...I’m not certain though...
If he is that good he shouldn’t redshirt IMO. But, if we get a JUCO or grad student one year rental I wouldn’t mind seeing him redshirt.

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:31 am

Any QB is only as good as the depth of the O line in front of him, and receivers who can get open.

Unlike bball, one needs a bunch of very good players in fb, else the QB is either hurt or ineffective.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

tdmass
Senior

Post by tdmass » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:52 pm

78 wrote: ↑
Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:08 pm
I think Martin will be good...I’m not certain though...

I used to be indecisive . . . now I'm not so sure!

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:48 pm

econalum wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:31 am Any QB is only as good as the depth of the O line in front of him, and receivers who can get open.

Unlike bball, one needs a bunch of very good players in fb, else the QB is either hurt or ineffective.
Yes. We have a good returning receiving corps and this line has actually performed better than I expected.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:38 pm

minutefanjsf wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:48 pm
econalum wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:31 am Any QB is only as good as the depth of the O line in front of him, and receivers who can get open.

Yes. We have a good returning receiving corps and this line has actually performed better than I expected.
I agree that the O line is decent and should be better next season. They only gave up two sacks to NU, who has a good D-line, The receivers have been wasted this season without a serviceable QB. Horn wasn't used enough this season also. There was a real fixation on OC Johnson (he has potential) over the more experienced receivers when Brito was starting. There really was some good players wasted by Bell and staff this season.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:51 am

dennisdent wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:38 pm
minutefanjsf wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:48 pm

I agree that the O line is decent and should be better next season. They only gave up two sacks to NU, who has a good D-line, The receivers have been wasted this season without a serviceable QB. Horn wasn't used enough this season also. There was a real fixation on OC Johnson (he has potential) over the more experienced receivers when Brito was starting. There really was some good players wasted by Bell and staff this season.
They were wasted because of QB play. Brito only made one read, missed many throws and West missed many throws. At the beginning of the season receivers were not separating. They started to about midway through and neither QB could see it or connect. I agree with SGJ that changes in scheme would help the receivers even more, but I don’t think them getting open mattered with the guys throwing to them.