FIRE WALT BELL!

Get ready for some MACtion
minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Re: FIRE WALT BELL!

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:39 am

dennisdent wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:14 am
minutefanjsf wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:57 am He is not going anywhere. There are warning signs for sure. But, Nick Saban would have trouble winning with this group. He gets at least next year. We have under the fcs max of 63 scholarships and are playing tons of freshmen who are not 4 and 5 star guys. Defense needs to change for sure. Our running game is better than any point since Steve baylark and we are using a converted wr and guy who wanted out at rb. Way too much chaos to be able to point at coach as sole reason. I think the time will come when it will be easy to blame him and I hope I’m wrong.
You forgot about Marquis Young already (one of the top RBs in UMass football history)! How about Michael Cox! How about Tony Nelson!How about Matt Lawrence! They all came after Baylark. The currents RBs can't hold their jocks.

Saban would have beaten teams with this roster, and so would many other competent head coaches.

More excuses! I want UMass football to succeed but he's just not a head coach.
I didn’t forget about them. My point was the running game. Bell has gotten more production out of the running game than anyone since FCS days. You made my point. Both young and cox were better than the guys we have now. Hernandez was good too.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:01 pm

Most of that run production has been after the score has been out of hand, against 2nd and 3rd strings. Bell leaves in his starters as long as he can. There is nothing positive about Bell's offensive or defense. Last season the team averaged 142 ypg, rushing, with a much better passing team. This season its 137 ypg. Not sure how that's better production...I could go back even farther, but it won't change anything for now or in the future...

When the most positive comment that Frank makes on the UMass football blog is that the fans didn't boo the team at half time, it is really pathetic!
Last edited by dennisdent on Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SJGMoney
Junior

Post by SJGMoney » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:06 pm

dennisdent wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:01 pm Most of that run production has been after the score has been out of hand, against 2nd and 3rd strings. Bell leaves in his starters as long as he can. There is nothing positive about Bell's offensive or defense.

When the most positive comment that Frank makes on the UMass football blog is that the fans didn't boo the team at half time, it is really pathetic!
Exactly. To think differently is ridiculous.
UMass '87

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:07 pm

dennisdent wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:01 pm Most of that run production has been after the score has been out of hand, against 2nd and 3rd strings. Bell leaves in his starters as long as he can. There is nothing positive about Bell's offensive or defense.

I agree the offense is horrible as is the team. However the running game is not doing badly. It is not all garbage time either. The undersized OL has made some holes that were nonexistent under whipple. Young hot hit behind the line so many times. YPC is better.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:17 pm

minutefanjsf wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:07 pm

I agree the offense is horrible as is the team. However the running game is not doing badly. It is not all garbage time either. The undersized OL has made some holes that were nonexistent under whipple. Young hot hit behind the line so many times. YPC is better.
Size is not an issue with this O-Line (300, 295, 315, 320, 300) its coaching! YPC is worthless when its against 2nd and third 3nd strings. Maine, with a new, young coach and true freshman QB gave this same Liberty team a close game. I watched the game and the Maine coach made adjustments; Bell doesn't have that ability...

Used to be VOR
Hall of Fame

Post by Used to be VOR » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:36 pm

At some point it might time to admit the problem is not the coaches (past or present), or the AD.

Maybe the problem is the program.
Turns out, just because you write your name on a baby doesn't mean you get to keep it."

Jack
Senior

Post by Jack » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:58 pm

dennisdent wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:03 am The old Jack is back! I thought you wanted to delete this thread...He won five games his first year and the team was competitive. He would have been fired after one year for the way this UMass team is playing. It took being blown out by UMass to get him fired:

https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba ... a-southern

Hey Dennis please pay attention. I didn't say the thread should be deleted - I stated that you should remove this thread. There's a big difference. Similarly there is a big difference between firing a Coach after 7 games and firing a coach after a season and a half.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:20 pm

Jack wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:58 pm
dennisdent wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:03 am The old Jack is back! I thought you wanted to delete this thread...He won five games his first year and the team was competitive. He would have been fired after one year for the way this UMass team is playing. It took being blown out by UMass to get him fired:

https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba ... a-southern

Hey Dennis please pay attention. I didn't say the thread should be deleted - I stated that you should remove this thread. There's a big difference. Similarly there is a big difference between firing a Coach after 7 games and firing a coach after a season and a half.
Always with that attitude--can't you ever reply respectfully.Remove and delete are the same--by me or anyone else...Did you even read my first post on this thread??? Read it again if you did.

Jack
Senior

Post by Jack » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:41 pm

dennisdent wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:20 pm Always with that attitude--can't you ever reply respectfully.Remove and delete are the same--by me or anyone else...Did you even read my first post on this thread??? Read it again if you did.
Hey Dennis, I read your post - that is why I responded to you and I responded to you by respectfully stating my opinion that the thread should be removed. Did you even bother to read my post? Is it okay with you that I don't share your opinion and that I disagree w/your decision to create this thread? It seems like you believe that we're all required to agree with you or risk being accused of having an "attitude".

What exactly is your big problem with me or anyone else disagreeing with your "fire the coach after 9 games" opinion? In my judgment you're wrong and your calling for a first yr HC to be fired during the season is irrational and premature and that your posting this thread at this time is irresponsible. Its been a miserable season, I disagree with much of what Coach Bell has done and his failure to play complimentary football and I have stated so repeatedly, So please feel free to tell me why I should not even be allowed to disagree with you or to ask you to remove this thread w/o you accusing me of having an "attitude". Sorry Dennis I disagree with you. deal w/it.

SJGMoney
Junior

Post by SJGMoney » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:08 pm

How is Dennis's post, or any fan post, irresponsible? Are people's lives in danger lol?
UMass '87

Roadtrip
Hall of Fame

Post by Roadtrip » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:09 pm

Forget Walt Bell, punt football.

SJGMoney
Junior

Post by SJGMoney » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:11 pm

Roadtrip wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:09 pm Forget Walt Bell, punt football.
Another genius. Yes, let's do that, let's not find one of the HUNDREDS of competent football coaches in the country to run things, let's just give up and stop playing the most popular sport in America.
UMass '87

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:24 pm

Roadtrip wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:09 pm Forget Walt Bell, punt football.
Sure but first run the program down to make it more realistic. Go independent and tell me what the available coaching staff is going to jump up for that job. A real good FC HC will not touch an independent program going down hill so take your changes with a G5 assistant coach. What is the true recruiting pool of recruits, who want to go some where with ZERO chance of a third/post season. We have NO conference play off games and NO bowl possibilities.

Sure keep stripping the program and when the wheels look like they are falling off, hell drop it.
We sabotaged it and and get what we want, a basketball school like the hundreds of small colleges. Heck, we been a one and done NCAA team once this century with being in a good conference. Image where the basketball program would be independent. So ya, have football go independent and then kill it.
Last edited by Steve81 on Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go UMass!!

Roadtrip
Hall of Fame

Post by Roadtrip » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:30 pm

^^ You have your opinion, I have mine. I believe UMass made a bad move, at a bad time, in a bad situation. It takes balls to admit you screwed up, and this situation is not going to improve any time soon, in my estimation. Who is enjoying any of this embarrassment? The players, students, fans, anyone?
I won't live another 25 years, not that it would matter. There is no way UMass will ever approach relevance in FBS. None!

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:37 pm

It depends on relevant is to you. Being competitive in a conference and the ability to make a conference championship game and bowl game. (A bowl game is the equivalent of the NIT.) That was possible in the MAC, we had our best recruiting class in the last year and could have competed in the MAC and made the NCAA as often or more in the MAC.

So have some balls and admit reject the All sports invite was a bad decision!

Look, get that is all history and now we have a boat to row. Think doing something with UConn does open up possibilities down the line if the AAC does not pan out.

Get no one wants to trade down in conferences and kind of accept that, but to say let's f'over football and make them go independent was a bad idea.

It's history and those AD's are gone. Have to man up, stomach the stench and believe in the future. But amputating a major limb/sport should not be necessary. The lib can be saved with a lot of work.
Go UMass!!