UMass Disconnect

Whatever else you wanna rant about.
SignMan
Hall of Fame

UMass Disconnect

Post by SignMan » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:37 pm

Homecoming next weekend...

2019: Class of 1969 50th Reunion Year...
Class includes SM, MG69, Joey Disarcina, Peter Gayeska, John Dreyer, and many more, including several friends+ of SM; athletes and not.

Traditionally, through last year, for ages, UM has held a 50th Reunion & Emeriti Reunion weekend every Spring. (Emeriti includes those who have previously had their 50th). Typically, there have been roughly 300 in attendance, with roughly 80% of them the 50th Anniversary Class.

This year 2019, the Alumni Association scheduled this event for April 5-6.
The schedule:

Friday April 5
6 - 9 PM Welcome back gathering at the UPub

Saturday April 6
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Registration Table and Hospitality Area at the Old Chapel
10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. Class of 1969 & Emeriti Brunch with the Chancellor
1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. Various Afternoon Activities including:
Campus Bus Tours
Old Chapel Tours
W.E.B. DuBois Library Tours
Carillon Concert
Class of 1969 Remembrance Ceremony
6:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. Emeriti Cocktail Reception and Dinner
6:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m. Class of 1969 50th Reunion Reception and Dinner

$15 pp/brunch
$35 pp/Dinner(s)
other events complimentary

I received the following email from the E.D. of the AA, JC Schnabl, dated 3/22/2019

Dear Edward,

New dates, new activities, new celebrations! We are excited to announce changes to your UMass Amherst 50th Reunion.

With a goal of delivering a truly exceptional UMass experience, the Class of 1969 50th Reunion has been rescheduled to Homecoming Weekend on October 25 & 26. We are confident that this change will offer more opportunities to connect with friends and learn about the university’s impressive rise in national rankings.

We hope that you will make plans to return to campus for a special Class of 1969 gathering, the Homecoming Block Party, UConn vs. UMass football, and so much more. Look for an invitation with complete details in August.

Please do not hesitate to contact Melanie Cosgrove, senior manager of alumni and constituent programs, at [email protected] with any questions.

Go UMass!

Sincerely,

JC Schnabl
Assistant Vice Chancellor for Alumni Relations
& Executive Director, UMass Amherst Alumni Association

UMass Amherst Alumni Association
Memorial Hall, 134 Hicks Way
Amherst, MA 01003-9270

My immediate reaction, based on many years experience with the AA an with this E.D., was that they had failed badly in getting Class Members interested, with the likelihood of very few signing up for the April event.

It recently came to my attention (found it online) that the E.D., JC Schnabl, was apparently relieved of his position March 2019.

The event was rescheduled for this coming weekend...

"The weekend will feature our Class of 1969 50th Reunion festivities, UMass pride, tours, and more!"

The schedule:

Date & Location
Date: 10/25/2019 to 10/26/2019
UMass Amherst
Campus
Contact Information

UMass Amherst Alumni Association
134 Hicks Way
Memorial Hall
Amherst, MA 01003
[email protected]

Friday, October 25
Homecoming Block Party
5:00 - 10:00 p.m.
Goodell & Student Union Lawns, Old Chapel
Look for the Class of 1969 50th Reunion Tent when you arrive!

All are welcome to attend.

Cost:
No cost for lawn activities and live music.
À la carte costs for food truck items and beverages.
A cash bar will be available.

American International College vs. UMass Hockey
7:00 - 9:30 p.m.
Mullins Center
"Cost: TBA
Check back for the link to purchase tickets after September 10."
(No link was ever added)

Saturday, October 26
Homecoming Tailgate Tent
12:00 - 3:30 p.m.
Stadium Drive
Look for the Class of 1969 gathering under the tent when you arrive!
Cost:
Tailgate Tent buffet only
$15 Adults
$5 Ages 10 and younger
Tailgate Tent buffet & Game Ticket
$30 Adults
$15 Ages 10 and younger

This is everything now scheduled for the 1969 50th Reunion next weekend.

There are no scheduled 50th Reunion Festivities...
The Block Party is a general Homecoming event for all.
The hockey game is not a 50th Reunion event.
The Tailgate tent appears to be a couple of table designated for the 50th Anniversary Class of 1969.

https://www.umassalumni.com/s/1640/rd17 ... nt_id=5924

None of these Class of 1969 50th Reunion events scheduled for April 5-6, 2019 were rescheduled for Homecoming!
Class of 1969 & Emeriti Brunch with the Chancellor
Various Afternoon Activities inclucing:
Campus Bus Tours
Old Chapel Tours
W.E.B. DuBois Library Tours
Carillon Concert
Class of 1969 Remembrance Ceremony
Emeriti Cocktail Reception and Dinner
Class of 1969 50th Reunion Reception and Dinner

Registration closed yesterday.
The published Attendee List includes a total of 18 people.
Of the 18, 7 are represented via 1969 Class President Wayne Thomas; 5 Thomas family & 2 guests of the President.
leaving just 11 additional signups, including 5 couples and one single.

There has been no contact re: a traditional 50th Reunion Class Gift (no solicitation or info re: $contributing to one)

This is another pathetic example of UMass Disconnect and Dis-Association.

The AA E.D. failed badly and is gone.
The long-time AA Associate Director, now the Interim Director, has failed badly.
The Chancellor ... has failed the 50th Reunion Class badly; his ultimate responsibility/his UMassive failure; HE OWNS IT!
The angle of incidence = the angle of reflection: REBOUND!

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Re: UMass Disconnect

Post by SignMan » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:21 pm

^I will keep this one brief, summarized.

Sometime after the 1968 50th, which a few of the Class basketball players attended, I received a request from someone...I assume an employee of the AA, mentioning that hoopster friend Rick Perkins, who attended last year, recommended me to be involved with planning the 1969 Class event.

I responded favorably, with my caveat that I would work with it providing I could utilize just my best skills...contacting people, getting others to come, etc., etc.

I received an email back from E.D. JC Schnabl I would describe as rather inflammatory...

"Hello Ed,

Thank you for your feedback. It is as eloquent and thought provoking as ever. However, I do sense an undertone of hostility and would be happy to remove you from future electronic communications if you so desire. Please advise. Nevertheless, I sincerely appreciate your unending dedication to all things UMass, especially at this remarkable moment in the history of our institution.

With my warmest regards,

JC"

(after receiving this email, some weird things commenced re: emails to me, and Mrs. SM @ my email).

A couple of months ago, I received yet another solicitation to get involved, from another person I do not know. I did not respond.

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:17 pm

Well, the above is very sad. And shows how UMass is so far behind colleges of both similar age and heft in alum relations.

Alums are like customers, to be valued.

:roll:
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

Doc Moonlight
Sophomore

Post by Doc Moonlight » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:00 pm

Sign Man's experiences are not unique. The Alumni Association has continually failed to acknowledge that their raison d'etre is to serve Alumni. Sign Man is an alumus. Schabl (may he rest in peace) who had the power to remove SM from the mailing list is not. Neither are many of the other administrative employees of the AA. The administration selects who can be involved in the Alumni activities. The wrong word or opinion can get you whisked to the cornfield. The administration even proposed doing away with elections for members of the Board of Directors and switching to an appointment system. Many on the BOD have served multiple terms. Others are not allowed to serve more than one. Some are not even allowed on the ballot. Ironically, this group includes Sam the Minuteman. They don't understand passion. They don't understand how to create relationships. And they frequently throw their most loyal Alumni volunteers under the bus.
"God bless Donald Duck, Vaudeville and Variety"

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:03 pm

^ ^^
100% on target...

next...
Talking about DISCONNECT!!!

anyone see what is terribly wrong/DISCONNECTED here:
https://www.umassalumni.com/s/1640/rd17 ... =552&gid=2

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:23 am

Only 1 grad on the alumni & volunteer board?

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:37 am

MJatUM wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:23 am Only 1 grad on the alumni & volunteer board?

There's a bunch of grads in that list.

EDIT: Sorry, I see you just meant the first grouping.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:49 pm

^ https://www.umassalumni.com/s/1640/rd17 ... =552&gid=2
point being there are 20 paid staff.
of which, just one is a person of color...

makes for an interesting discussion re: the AA's claims re: Diversity...

stay tuned for more on that...

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:04 pm

The AA BOD link:
https://www.umassalumni.com/s/1640/rd17 ... 2&pgid=524

Of note...
5 Officers...all white...
3 of whom fit the "many of whom have served multiple terms" comment by Doc Moonlight in his post...

Just to take his comment a bit further, the three served multiple terms when I was on the BOD, 2001-2007), and perhaps other terms in between then and now (will check that out).

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:44 am

continuation of ^ and in support of Doc Moonlight re: his

"The administration selects who can be involved in the Alumni activities. The wrong word or opinion can get you whisked to the cornfield. The administration even proposed doing away with elections for members of the Board of Directors and switching to an appointment system. Many on the BOD have served multiple terms. Others are not allowed to serve more than one. Some are not even allowed on the ballot. Ironically, this group includes Sam the Minuteman. They don't understand passion. They don't understand how to create relationships. And they frequently throw their most loyal Alumni volunteers under the bus."

Let's take a look at the history of the three members of the AA BOD, all current officers of the AA BOD.

My information has all been confirmed via annual required filings with the MA Secretary of State.

Kimberly Sherman, President

first appears as a member of the BOD on the FY2005 filing, indicating a term expiring 6/06 (one-year Presidential appointment)
appears on the FY2006 filing as a BOD member with a term expiring 6/09 (three-year term)
appears on the FY 2007 & FY 2008 filings as an officer, Secretary (completing her three-year term expiring 6/09)
appears on the FY 2009 & FY 2110 filings as a BOD member with a term expiring 6/12 (another three-year term)
appears on the FY2111 & FY2112 filing as an officer, Vice President, with her term now extended one year until 2013

Eight consecutive years on the BOD, the maximum allowed under the bylaws.

After a three year hiatus from the BOD, also required per the bylaws before one can re-serve on the BOD (why would they keep bringing the same people back when there are so many willing and able talented Alums?)...

Kimberly Sherman immediately was re-upped on the BOD...

appearing on the FY2116 filing as a BOD member for another three-year term, expiring 6/19
appearing on the FY2117 filing as the President Elect, with her term expiring 6/19
appearing on the FY2118 filing as President, with her term expiring 6/19

Officer terms are for two years. When one gets elected to an office in the final year of a then current term, it automatically extends that term another year (eight consecutive years on the BOD not excepted). It appears that the 2018 State filing erred re: her term as President, under the assumption that she is the current President, as shown on the current BOD members link I previously posted.

What we have here is someone who has been on the AA BOD consecutively since 7/1/2005, except for a three-year "hiatus" required per the bylaws.

Including the current FY20 (annual filing not yet filed with the Secretary of State), this alum will have served on the AA BOD 12 out of 15 consecutive years, including two years as Secretary, two years as Vice President, one year as President Elect, and two years as President.

At the same time,
"The administration selects who can be involved in the Alumni activities. The wrong word or opinion can get you whisked to the cornfield. The administration even proposed doing away with elections for members of the Board of Directors and switching to an appointment system. Many on the BOD have served multiple terms. Others are not allowed to serve more than one. Some are not even allowed on the ballot. Ironically, this group includes Sam the Minuteman. They don't understand passion. They don't understand how to create relationships. And they frequently throw their most loyal Alumni volunteers under the bus."

one current officer reviewed, two to go...

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:24 am

Homecoming Weekend is here...
Hopefully, those of you who participate will have a good time.

I had hoped to get out there this afternoon and again tomorrow, having registered for four events through ISOM.

I cannot drive at night now...
Cataract surgery was Tuesday...need a little more time before night driving, especially on 2/202

Back to a quick Disconnect...
https://www.umassalumni.com/show_module ... 8&nologo=1

The annual Emeriti Reunion...for alums who previously have had there 50th, has attracted just 5 sign-ups...

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:22 am

I hope you can make it out tomorrow. Next year for the "Emeriti" !

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:55 am

69MG wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:22 am I hope you can make it out tomorrow. Next year for the "Emeriti" !
Thanks for your thoughts.

I don't see how I can ...
Mrs. SM has no interest in coming out/driving...

With game time @ 3:30 and sunset here tomorrow @ 5:48 pm...
I would have to leave no later than end Q1 to get back b4 sunset...
The drive back from Bull Run last night around 7 PM, 14 minute drive back from Shirley on main rds & my winding country rd for 1.3 mi is relatively easy vs being on 202/2 with significant light glare issues for me right now. It would be dangerous for me to drive those roads after sunset.

The spirit will always be out there.

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:11 am

Officer 2 Review...
Thomas P. Campbell

first appears on the FY2006 State filing as an AA BOD member, with term expiring 6/07
appears on the FY2007 & FY2008 filings, as a BOD member with term expiring 6/10
appears on the FY09 filing, as Vice President with term expiring 6/11 (extended automatically one-year re: two-year officer term)
appears on the FY2010, FY2011, & FY2012 filings as Vice President, with term expiring 6/13, assuming chosen/elected VP twice
consecutively, two-year terms.

For this stint, on the BOD for 7 consecutive years, from 6/06 - 6/13

Off the BOD for three consecutive years, then back on it immediately after a three-year hiatus.

appears on the FY2116, FY 2117, & FY 2118 filings as a BOB member with term expiring 06/019

currently appears on the link
https://www.umassalumni.com/s/1640/rd17 ... &pgid=2851
as an Elected member and Vice President.

No State FY2019 filing yet, but as an Elected member this further extends him on the BOD through 6/22.
with a current two-year term as VP through 6/21.

From 07/01/2006 - 06/30/2022, he will have served 13 years out of a period of 16 consecutive years.

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:55 am

Officer 3 Review
Gwen P. Weisberg

appears on the MA State filing for FY00 as Clerk (officer) with term expiring 6/01...State filings are unavailable to read online prior to FY00
best to assume she was on the BOD at least as early as FY98, maybe earlier (?)
appears on the FY01 as Clerk with term expiring 6/01
appears on the FY02 filing as Clerk (officer) with 2nd two-year term as Clerk expiring 6/03, as well as Chair of the Bylaws Committee & Chair of the Nominating
Committee
appears on the FY03 filings as Clerk (officer) with term expiring 6/03

off the BOD FY04 - FY14

appears on the FY15 & FY16 filings as a BOD member with three-year term expiring 6/17
appears on the FY17 & FY18 filings as Treasurer (officer) with term automatically extended, as officer, two additional years
expiring 6/19

current appears on this link
https://www.umassalumni.com/s/1640/rd17 ... 2&pgid=853
meaning that she is now serving an additional two-year term as Treasurer automatically extending her term through 6/21

by 6/30/21 will have served at least 12 years on the BOD with at least eight years as an Officer.