new goal song

Talk UMass Hockey. Home of the 2021 National Champions!
DrG
Senior

Re: new goal song

Post by DrG » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:47 pm

I don't like public obscenity. This from somebody who drops frequent F-bombs in private conversation. I guess I'm just a (choose your obscenity) old fart.

BullmooseGEO
Sophomore

Post by BullmooseGEO » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:08 am

So, what is the new goal song?

I just hope it's not "Chelsea Dagger."
"When in doubt, use brute force." -- Ken Thompson

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:11 am

Old Cage wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:31 pm ^ Ryan - Maybe it's a generational thing, but I wouldn't care if they played "When Twilight Shadows Deepen" after a goal. I go to see the game.
It’s definitely generational...the games alone aren’t good enough anymore for many in the younger generation.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:45 am

Old Cage wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:31 pm ^ Ryan - Maybe it's a generational thing, but I wouldn't care if they played "When Twilight Shadows Deepen" after a goal. I go to see the game.

It's 100% a generational thing. It's why the Celtics have cheerleaders now, for example.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:42 am

^ The NBA is actually the perfect example... There is some type of arena sounds during 95% of the time that the ball is in play.

The viewing experience is 100000000% better on TV in this fans view. The fan experience is the primary difference between watching on tv and attending.

As for the goal song... The Sons of Liberty (I believe they're called now) have recommended "Gold on The Ceiling" so that they can continue the chant within the framework of that song. If the chant is the primary reason you loved the old song, I can't imagine voting for anything else besides the song the students want to use. They are the ones that are responsible for carrying it on.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:48 am

MJatUM wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:42 am ^ The NBA is actually the perfect example... There is some type of arena sounds during 95% of the time that the ball is in play.

The viewing experience is 100000000% better on TV in this fans view. The fan experience is the primary difference between watching on tv and attending.

As for the goal song... The Sons of Liberty (I believe they're called now) have recommended "Gold on The Ceiling" so that they can continue the chant within the framework of that song. If the chant is the primary reason you loved the old song, I can't imagine voting for anything else besides the song the students want to use. They are the ones that are responsible for carrying it on.

I can't stand watching NBA games where they play music during the action. Atlanta comes to mind. It's so damn distracting.

Sure, that could work. Unless the athletic admin/school/swammy/ncaa/2 random people that complained banned the song due to the chant.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:16 am

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:48 am
MJatUM wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:42 am
Sure, that could work. Unless the athletic admin/school/swammy/ncaa/2 random people that complained banned the song due to the chant.
Then we need the students to take the Michael Scott Paper Company route. "If tomorrow my company goes under I will just start another paper company. And then another and another and another. I have no shortage of company names."

If tomorrow the school changes the goal song again then we will chant during another goal song and then another and another.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:53 am

MJatUM wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:16 am

Then we need the students to take the Michael Scott Paper Company route. "If tomorrow my company goes under I will just start another paper company. And then another and another and another. I have no shortage of company names."

If tomorrow the school changes the goal song again then we will chant during another goal song and then another and another.

One can only hope.

Bubba
Sophomore

Post by Bubba » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:21 pm

I ask this honestly, what is the obsession with shouting obscenities in public that makes this SOOOOOOO important?

Let's call a spade a spade

The song was dumped for 2 reasons: (I personally don't believe it was one and not the other)
1. Gary Glitter is a bad look in this day.
2. The chant at the end

A subset of fans (potentially a majority) want to continue the song no matter what: (I personally don't believe it's about tradition)
1. Yelling a swear

So this comes down to screaming swears in public vs. not.

I have no issues with cursing, just in my world there is a time and place. My 7 year old doesn't need to hear it from me or anyone. My wife doesn't care to hear it. I don't curse around them for the most part. So to the fans who this is important to, why? If your mom came to the game would you tone it down? If you have/had a kid, would it be different? I personally didn't participate in it or the "See ya, A$$hole" chant, mainly because I found them disrespectful, and unsportsmanlike. I guess I see this the same. Honestly I think it lowers our class as fans.

I am in no way trying to be a jerk here, just trying to figure out what is really making the other side tick? College hockey has a long tradition of fans razzing each other, and I think it's fine and fun. I think the stupid fish at UNH is obnoxious and silly, but at least it's unique to them. I think Sasquash at BU was obnoxious and silly, but it was a thing they did.

At the end of the day, we can all agree, BC and UConn suck, can't that be enough? ;)

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:15 pm

Bubba wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:21 pm I ask this honestly, what is the obsession with shouting obscenities in public that makes this SOOOOOOO important?

Let's call a spade a spade

The song was dumped for 2 reasons: (I personally don't believe it was one and not the other)
1. Gary Glitter is a bad look in this day.
2. The chant at the end

A subset of fans (potentially a majority) want to continue the song no matter what: (I personally don't believe it's about tradition)
1. Yelling a swear

So this comes down to screaming swears in public vs. not.

I have no issues with cursing, just in my world there is a time and place. My 7 year old doesn't need to hear it from me or anyone. My wife doesn't care to hear it. I don't curse around them for the most part. So to the fans who this is important to, why? If your mom came to the game would you tone it down? If you have/had a kid, would it be different? I personally didn't participate in it or the "See ya, A$$hole" chant, mainly because I found them disrespectful, and unsportsmanlike. I guess I see this the same. Honestly I think it lowers our class as fans.

I am in no way trying to be a jerk here, just trying to figure out what is really making the other side tick? College hockey has a long tradition of fans razzing each other, and I think it's fine and fun. I think the stupid fish at UNH is obnoxious and silly, but at least it's unique to them. I think Sasquash at BU was obnoxious and silly, but it was a thing they did.

At the end of the day, we can all agree, BC and UConn suck, can't that be enough? ;)

I don't think it's about that, even though I am of the mindset that swearing at a sporting event is not a big deal, be it in the presence of your kid or my mother. But we've been over this ad nauseam here.

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:15 pm

Gold on the Ceiling wins. Assume this means the Hey chant sticks around. :D
https://twitter.com/UMassHockey/status/ ... 4554306560
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTloLBp7evE&t=23s
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:48 am

I have fond memories of chanting after goals during my time as a student there. IDC if the chant is Hey! You Suck! or something less "vulgar." It is a tradition for at least 15 years (plenty long enough, in my mind) that gets the students fired up. The students are what takes the crowd at the Mullins to another level - especially for hockey. Glad that Gold on The Ceiling won.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:58 am

First time I listened to it... I hope the UMass fans do a better job than that crowd. Holy crap that is bad.

meff
Sophomore

Post by meff » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:20 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:58 am First time I listened to it... I hope the UMass fans do a better job than that crowd. Holy crap that is bad.
Well you could go to one of the games this weekend to show them how its done...

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:53 am

meff wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:20 pm Well you could go to one of the games this weekend to show them how its done...

How? I've never done it. And next Friday. Maybe. If you're polite. Maybe. Probably not.