new goal song

Talk UMass Hockey. Home of the 2021 National Champions!
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Re: new goal song

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:23 pm

meff wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:50 pm
Yes, my silly reality at actually being at almost every home hockey game since before you were a student..must be my memory going in my old age. :roll:

As someone who was part of the small group of students who started using the chant (borrowed from multiple other schools and I want to say from Northeastern and Lowell) it was not the same as it is today.

Again, not what I said. I said that since 2000, when I started there, it's been in its current form. Prior to that? You know best.

The reality comment was related to you hoping the students can be creative, not your knowledge of what the chant is or once was. I thought I made that clear in my post, maybe not.

The point remains that our school has a terrible history when it comes to fan traditions. Doing away with one of the only ones that has ever stuck is not a good move.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

jjmc85
Senior

Post by jjmc85 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:29 pm

It's definitely not unique to UMass, except the "Go UMass" part at the end I guess. In addition to what meff mentioned, BU did it too, the same "Fuck em Up, Fuck'em up" parts and everything, but just with BC Sucks at the end. IIRC, Parker decided to kill it in the 2000s sometime, threatening to take a penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct or something if it was done.
UMass Football: 22-3 at home when I was a student.

Leave the A-10!

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:03 pm

again what made our solid athletic department make this decision?

GG pedophilia

or

nooo swearing in the mullins.

Still a terrible decision, what the students should do is after music stops on all stops in play is go: hey you suck, fuck em fuck em go umass. boom. take that bambi.
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

jjmc85
Senior

Post by jjmc85 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:03 am

Honestly if the song is that big of a deal, play it after touchdowns. Maybe the students will stay for football games. :lol:
UMass Football: 22-3 at home when I was a student.

Leave the A-10!

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:50 am

jjmc85 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:29 pm It's definitely not unique to UMass, except the "Go UMass" part at the end I guess. In addition to what meff mentioned, BU did it too, the same "Fuck em Up, Fuck'em up" parts and everything, but just with BC Sucks at the end. IIRC, Parker decided to kill it in the 2000s sometime, threatening to take a penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct or something if it was done.

You've made my point... it may not have been original, but it has become unique to UMass.

This song really revved the crowd up at hockey and basketball games... this is a shame.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

MajBugman
Senior

Post by MajBugman » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:06 am

If anyone ever watches Chinatown or the Pianist anywhere in the Pioneer Valley I am storming the gates.

Had no idea that the real name of the "Hey" song is "Rock and Roll or that Gary Glitter performed it. I forgot that Gary Glitter actually ever existed.

I am confident that most people were in my situation. Way to go UMass for creating a controversy over something that 99.99999% of the people didn't give a crap about and were blissfully ignorant of.
Raise the bar, do the minimum.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:34 am

MajBugman wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:06 am If anyone ever watches Chinatown or the Pianist anywhere in the Pioneer Valley I am storming the gates.

Had no idea that the real name of the "Hey" song is "Rock and Roll or that Gary Glitter performed it. I forgot that Gary Glitter actually ever existed.

I am confident that most people were in my situation. Way to go UMass for creating a controversy over something that 99.99999% of the people didn't give a crap about and were blissfully ignorant of.

Pretty much SOP over there.

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:37 am

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... %27em%20up

Good celebration song. I wasn't a fan of the chant, but now knowing the definition of "fuck em up", it don't bother me.

Bubba
Sophomore

Post by Bubba » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:09 am

PreecherJenkins wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:03 pm again what made our solid athletic department make this decision?

GG pedophilia

or

nooo swearing in the mullins.

Still a terrible decision, what the students should do is after music stops on all stops in play is go: hey you suck, fuck em fuck em go umass. boom. take that bambi.
I mean, here is the reality for me, I don't give a crap about the song one way or another. I was one of the few sitting with Meff in the 90s. We still enjoyed the games without the song or chant. The song and chant are not tradition to me. Finally, I would say regardless of the specific WHY, aren't both of those decent reasons to dump the song, i.e. 1 strike, 2 strikes? I mean I understand people are cool with swearing en masse. But maybe, just maybe could part of the UMass tradition be about having a great thing that Pioneer Valley families can go to?

Finally, my recollection of the chant is more in line with Meff's. The song was sporatic at goals in the mid 90's, it was a sporting event song at everything, Arena football to UMass hockey and the Might Ducks sound track. As I recall UNH and BU were using it with added chant. I Remember about that time the penalty box thing "See ya.... A-hole" started. My first recollection: I went to nearly all games from 1995-2002. I moved away to NH in 2002. I think it was the 2003 (Maybe 2004) year when we had some good success I came back to a game at the Mullins Center, and it was sold out (which blew my mind). We were sitting in one of the corners because I could not get a section U seat. I heard the F'em up chant and it was stark to see how much things had changed, UMass had become the fans from UNH and BU.

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:12 pm

^^^
I'm with Bubba in terms of not caring about the song one way or the other. It shouldn't impact anyone's fun at the game.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:26 pm

Nothing other than the performance on the ice/field/court should impact the fun had at a game. Unfortunately, that's not actually the case.

e_parade
Senior

Post by e_parade » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:06 pm

Novel idea: play the fight song when we score a goal.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:18 pm

e_parade wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:06 pm Novel idea: play the fight song when we score a goal.

Our fight song is sooooooooo bad for those types of moments. They tried doing that at basketball games to replace the Hey Song after momentum swing moments and it was a complete dud. I love the fight song, but it's too bland for those moments.

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:56 pm

78 wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:12 pm It shouldn't impact anyone's fun at the game.
Totally disagree. The atmosphere is the entire reason to see *anything* live. In today's world of high production television and streaming, you can see the game better at home. You go see something in person for the *experience*.

Maybe there are some expections to that rule with UMass where streaming/television isn't a guarantee, but I think for the most part it's true.
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:31 pm

^ Ryan - Maybe it's a generational thing, but I wouldn't care if they played "When Twilight Shadows Deepen" after a goal. I go to see the game.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."