Umass and UConn Conference USA

Get ready for some MACtion
Jack
Senior

Re: Umass and UConn Conference USA

Post by Jack » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:20 pm

econalum wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:34 pm I am not a fan of Falwell, nor by extension Liberty.
Of Course - thats EXACTLY the point - Its part of why its great to beat Liberty and why our triple OT victory last year was a fantastic game (especially if you like to watch explosive offense and very little actual defense) :D psst...I'm not a fan of freaking UConn either - LOVED beating edsall and the sled dogs last year in the monsoon at east hartford and am looking forward to a repeat Win against them this season !!! :Same goes for BYU ... not a fan - let's beat em !!!! D :D :D Go to the game root for UMass and support our Kids and our program - thats what its all about !!!

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:37 pm

Hell yes Jack. Let’s beat them on the field. Any time, any team, any place, play. We have politics in almost every aspect of life, let’s do our best to keep it out of sports.

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:12 am

I find it odd that UConn has not scheduled any more games for next year yet. Does this mean the next shoe drops and they announce a football only membership in the MAC or CUSA or even SB?

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:51 am

stevemaz wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:12 am I find it odd that UConn has not scheduled any more games for next year yet. Does this mean the next shoe drops and they announce a football only membership in the MAC or CUSA or even SB?
Or FCS

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:38 am

UConn posters on CSNbbs indicate they will be playing a non-compliant schedule next year and possibly 2021. The penalty is a hand slap and not be able to go bowling. They will probably schedule as many FCS games a s FBS next year and wait as long as possible before reporting the schedule.

With our scheduling success and not so successful recruiting in the past, one good year the last year in the MAC while recruiting those kids, hope in a half dozen years we are in the AAC. Based on the fan base responses to the MAC, perhaps a football only in CUSA is a good plan B. Keep watching all conferences basketball performance. The MAC one bid and one at large NIT bid is too weak for most fans, even thou it would probably have less traveling cost than the Texas to East Coast of CUSA. We are all hoping for the AAC, but a FB only to CUSA is a good plan B. Plan C is a scheduling alliance that would give bowl access with any conference.
Go UMass!!

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:10 am

The AAC could easily fall back to the pack if they lose Houston, UCF, USF and either Memphis or Cincy as I think they will to the Big 12. Texas remains the key to next conference realignment.
Last edited by stevemaz on Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

jjmc85
Senior

Post by jjmc85 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:39 am

Steve81 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:38 am UConn posters on CSNbbs indicate they will be playing a non-compliant schedule next year and possibly 2021. The penalty is a hand slap and not be able to go bowling. They will probably schedule as many FCS games a s FBS next year and wait as long as possible before reporting the schedule
Regardless of NCAA penalties, seems like it would have significant negative impacts on recruiting and ticket sales, both of which would take a while to recover. Underclassmen May sign up to transfer as well. Who would want to go from a “P6” to playing half your games against FCS and not being able to go bowling even if you went undefeated? Really could be devastating to the program. If I were a coach in a recruiting battle to UConn, I’d be sure to mention these things.
UMass Football: 22-3 at home when I was a student.

Leave the A-10!

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:36 am

^ As many here will tell you other coaches did to us when we left the MAC. Whether that's true or not as we obviously didn't play a half-FCS schedule and back then it is very possible to make a bowl without conference affiliation (assuming you finish .500+)

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:25 am

looks like UConn has figured it for next year at least with a much "better" schedule then us. I keep circling back to what I would like to see and that Is UMass in the Big East and then some sort of alliance/conference for football.. UMass, UConn, Army, Liberty, BYU, N Mexico St. Something is looming large in terms of a shakeup with the NCAA. I believe (at least for football) we will see the top 24-32 programs form their own division.

jjmc85
Senior

Post by jjmc85 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:03 pm

What’s their schedule?
UMass Football: 22-3 at home when I was a student.

Leave the A-10!

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:13 am

They have at Illinois, at Va, at Ole Miss, Indiana at home and one other p5 game about to be announced.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:25 am

stevemaz wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:13 am They have at Illinois, at Va, at Ole Miss, Indiana at home and one other p5 game about to be announced.
They aren’t getting paid as much as we get, though :oops: :?: :mrgreen:

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:23 am

How much of it is "better" and how much of it is "who was willing to make themselves available"?

Remember in UMass' first year of independence we played at Florida, vs BC, vs Mississippi State, at South Carolina, and at BYU.

That's not really how our schedule looks these days because it doesn't have to. Now we play a pretty reasonable and balanced schedule (that we still get our asses handed to by FCS teams).
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass