State of the Progam

Get ready for some MACtion
eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Re: State of the Progam

Post by eldonabe » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:40 am

Always an entertaining read...... Especially fond of the multiple Edsall references across multiple team discussions...... :lol: :lol:

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:36 pm

Jessie Britt and James Bowe Jr. are no longer listed on the team. I've never seen this many players (especially starters) quit during the season.

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:32 pm

dennisdent wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:36 pm Jessie Britt and James Bowe Jr. are no longer listed on the team. I've never seen this many players (especially starters) quit during the season.
Jesse Britt wasn’t exactly killing it this year.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:37 pm

TruBluMaroon wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:32 pm
dennisdent wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:36 pm Jessie Britt and James Bowe Jr. are no longer listed on the team. I've never seen this many players (especially starters) quit during the season.
Um, nobody on this team is killing it this year if you hadn't noticed :lol: .

UMass'96
Senior
Location: Back in the good 'ole US of A not some 3rd world shithole

Post by UMass'96 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:01 am

If you quit the team, do you have to pay back any of the scholarship money or stipends? I would imagine that there is some sort of agreement that the players have to sign when they agree to the scholarship. Something that outlines their responsibilities and obligations as well as those of the University.
Save your breath... you'll need it to blow up your date

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:18 am

I highly doubt you have to pay anything back. I would imagine you just lose the financial aid going forward. Maybe someone knows more details but the scholarship is already used for this year - it's not like revoking it now would really do anything except save the university a couple of bucks while making them look EXTREMELY petty in the process.

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:45 am

Believe the scholarship is good for the year...
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:45 am

dennisdent wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:37 pm
TruBluMaroon wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:32 pm
Um, nobody on this team is killing it this year if you hadn't noticed :lol: .
I’ve noticed, but this one in particular, was an Arizona Wildcat recruit at QB to run the Wildcat.....a bit higher than the rest of his 2x ex-teammates

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:08 am

Oh well. Someone else gets to play now. Next man up.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

UMass'96
Senior
Location: Back in the good 'ole US of A not some 3rd world shithole

Post by UMass'96 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:20 pm

MJatUM wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:18 am I highly doubt you have to pay anything back. I would imagine you just lose the financial aid going forward. Maybe someone knows more details but the scholarship is already used for this year - it's not like revoking it now would really do anything except save the university a couple of bucks while making them look EXTREMELY petty in the process.
Sure, petty maybe.

When I was at UMass I had to maintain a 2.5 GPA each semester in order to continue to receive the GI bill. If I fell short, I had to repay the previous semester and wasn't eligible again till my GPA rose above 2.5. It forced me to have skin in the game.

Just wondering if the players have any sort of investment \ commitment \ incentive that helps cement them to the team.
Save your breath... you'll need it to blow up your date

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:54 pm

UM96

Thank you for your service,

Unf, the athletes do not have any penalty if their grades are not good. Nor would there be additional money for a tennis player who has a 4.0 gpa on her 1/16 scholarship
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:59 am

PreecherJenkins wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:54 pm UM96

Unf, the athletes do not have any penalty if their grades are not good. Nor would there be additional money for a tennis player who has a 4.0 gpa on her 1/16 scholarship
UM96 thanks for your service.

PreecherJenkins please don't get econalum going on the money we are wasting on tennis and the dollars spent on coaches salaries, travel expenses, uniforms, limited scholarships and stipends, never mind the poor attendance. Surely that money could be better spent on Historical Architecture studies and perhaps academic scholarships or reducing lecture sizes of say intro courses on Micro and Macro Econ. There is a net sum gain with the money, right. 8)

With all the tongue and cheek comments about the tennis program and econalum financial harps aside, here is a view of the State of The Program.

We are back to year TWO of the FBS transition. We have more FBS players than year one of the transition but many are young and we will not be up to the FBS 85 scholarship limit for a few more years.
Go UMass!!

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:59 am

I'd like to see the young guys on the OLine and DLine gain experience, which will help us down the line. Looks like some big boys coming in next year which will help too. Somehow gotta keep the young talent on board so we're not resetting every season. Tough sledding right now but can only get better
Time to Win

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:18 pm

Steve81 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:59 am
PreecherJenkins wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:54 pm UM96

UM96 thanks for your service.

PreecherJenkins please don't get econalum going on the money we are wasting on tennis and the dollars spent on coaches salaries, travel expenses, uniforms, limited scholarships and stipends, never mind the poor attendance. Surely that money could be better spent on Historical Architecture studies and perhaps academic scholarships or reducing lecture sizes of say intro courses on Micro and Macro Econ. There is a net sum gain with the money, right. 8)

With all the tongue and cheek comments about the tennis program and econalum financial harps aside, here is a view of the State of The Program.

We are back to year TWO of the FBS transition. We have more FBS players than year one of the transition but many are young and we will not be up to the FBS 85 scholarship limit for a few more years.
I have NEVER said that we should reduce non-revenue sports, never. So, wtf. As to 'econalum financial harp aside', 'sorry' if I occasionally bring some economic reality to the campus affordability experience for undergrads.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:10 am

Please excuse the stupidity of this question as I only follow the football program from a distance, but what is the difference between this team and the past two years that saw them win 4 games each season including wins over BYU and App State, and at the very least looked competitive in others? I know 4 wins isn't what fans of the program want, but 4 wins sounds incredible compared to what we're seeing now.

Was there complete roster turnover? I understand losing your QB and Andy Isabella will definitely hurt, but there have to be other players. From the little I watch, I see an embarrassing and poorly attempted no-huddle offense, and defensive players that aren't quick enough to get to their man, and aren't big enough to bring them down. I also get that a coaching change will put you back in rebuilding mode, but I've never seen anything this bad. They don't look like they belong.