GAME 5 9/28 AKRON

Get ready for some MACtion
69MG
Hall of Fame

Re: GAME 5 9/28 AKRON

Post by 69MG » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:20 am

Unrelated, but I stopped by the hockey tent before the game. There were around 10-12 players there including Leonard, Nikko, Matt Murray and a couple of freshmen whose names I have forgotten. Good guys!

https://twitter.com/UMassHockey/status/ ... 2955769858

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:20 am

So 69, u try to put one past Matt Murray top shelf?
8)
Time to Win

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:00 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:04 am We won. :)
All that matters. Turns out Akron is the worst team in the country. I will caution all of you optimists with that reminder. Saw somewhere else here that we are playing "fellow bottom feeder" FIU this week... Not even a little bit. We are 27 point underdogs for a reason.

Take your lumps on the road this week and next week (@ LA Tech), keep your head in it and we'll see you all for our next realistic shot at a victory for Homecoming on 10/26 vs the Sled dogs. Go U.

Dickie Dunn
Junior

Post by Dickie Dunn » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:07 pm

69MG wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:52 pm It was finally fun to be at a FB game. A couple of items worth mentioning.

2. Credit to Ally and the O line for closing out the game. When is the last time we had a 1 score lead, got the ball at the 25 and ran out the last 5 1/2
minutes to end the game?
We had 3 subs on the O line and rushed for over 200 yards.
This question brings back terrible memories of the season opener against Hawaii two years ago.

UMass took over at the 26 with 5:23 left after Hawaii had kicked a FG to cut the lead to 35-31.

Ally gets the first two carries of the drive and immediately gets a combined 10 yards and a first down. So what happens next? Whipple takes out Ally and puts in Young ... who proceeds to gain 1 and lose 1 yard on his first two carries. On third-and-10, Ford is forced to scramble on a rollout and loses 1 yard. Punt, Hawaii drives down to score and take the lead in the final minute ... and soon, the Minutemen are on their way to that infamous 0-6 start.

That sequence has bothered me ever since. (I'm not even going to mention the draw play to Young on fourth down on the wrong side of the 50 with 20 seconds left.)
I wrote this ... it's gotta be true.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:11 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:07 pm
69MG wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:52 pm It was finally fun to be at a FB game. A couple of items worth mentioning.

2. Credit to Ally and the O line for closing out the game. When is the last time we had a 1 score lead, got the ball at the 25 and ran out the last 5 1/2
minutes to end the game?
This question brings back terrible memories of the season opener against Hawaii two years ago.

UMass took over at the 26 with 5:23 left after Hawaii had kicked a FG to cut the lead to 35-31.

Ally gets the first two carries of the drive and immediately gets a combined 10 yards and a first down. So what happens next? Whipple takes out Ally and puts in Young ... who proceeds to gain 1 and lose 1 yard on his first two carries. On third-and-10, Ford is forced to scramble on a rollout and loses 1 yard. Punt, Hawaii drives down to score and take the lead in the final minute ... and soon, the Minutemen are on their way to that infamous 0-6 start.

That sequence has bothered me ever since. (I'm not even going to mention the draw play to Young on fourth down on the wrong side of the 50 with 20 seconds left.)
Don't remind me of that game!!!!! If we beat UConn, I will definitely change my opinion of Bell. I was calling him Molnar 2.0, but if he keeps in Curtis the rest of the year, I think we a shot at 2 wins. Great win Saturday!!!!

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:27 am

Dickie Dunn wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:07 pm

minutes to end the game?

That was a god awful sequence... I remember that too, and that was actually when I official got off the Whipple train. I am below novice when it comes to that kind of strategic stuff, and even I was screaming at the TV when Ally came out. That fucking draw play summed up the offensive genius of Mark Whipple.....