State of the Progam

Get ready for some MACtion
SignMan
Hall of Fame

Re: State of the Progam

Post by SignMan » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:37 am

Cahoonaville wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:25 am For the second consecutive year.....on the athletics website, why doesn't UMass football have player head shots by names on the roster page? Seems like every university that plays football does this?????
"sign guy we are in gray which i believe is inactive."
good pick-up...slipped by me...

"when someone pulls up the cost of each of those sales were lets have a conversation if that was a good move."
agree...

that someone can't be me...
I have been getting treated like a POS when trying to do anything positive and especially when asking questions, especially re:
$donations spent, including my own to directed programs...

Interesting piece...

https://www.forbes.com/forbes/2012/0806 ... d96b80605f

helps explain some missing info, more so if Aspire continue working as described into 2015 & 2016 re: UM...

Bottom line seems to be that they couldn't do much for UM, based on their results described on the 2nd link in my previous post...

20 weeks of work/three sports: $126K revenue!!!

Net to UM???
The angle of incidence = the angle of reflection: REBOUND!

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:46 am

The previous links refer to Bernie Mullin's Aspire and the FRMC set up @ UM with several people involved...

not clear whether these people are/were UM employees or those of Aspire...

I did, elsewhere, find reference, to Lorelei Riseman, one of those with the Massachusetts Athletics FRMC, as of her birthday (a FB congrats to her) August 9, 2017. She currently is listed on the BC Athletics Staff for Tix Sales and Service.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:31 pm

State of the program: not good. Actually very bad.

kd68
Junior

Post by kd68 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:06 pm

I use to enjoy going to football games. Not any more. The current program is an embarrassment as we are getting blown out by non power house teams. I hope a Bell can retain the players he has recruited. If he can’t I see no future for this team, and it may be time, as much as I hate to say it, drop football.

Carl Spackler
Junior

Post by Carl Spackler » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:16 pm

I made a similar post about 2 pages back....I’ll reiterate that we need to give Bell more time...that said, I’m giving him an F- 4 games into his tenure. This team is unprepared in every way....a good coach makes the sum greater than the individual parts....no coach could make this team good but I firmly believe they are not nearly this bad.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:26 pm

This post on the other board by SJGMoney is excellent and sadly, very accurate.

"Four games in and it has to be clear to everyone involved that Walt Bell is in over his head. Hey Ryan, you want to know how we all know it? It's not because we haven't been competitive in one game yet. It's not because our defense couldn't stop a Pop Warner team. It's not because our Pop Warner offense is a complete joke.

It's because Walt Bell not only can't evaluate talent, it's that he's so closed-minded and unable to admit mistakes that when Andrew Brito got hurt today he put in Randall West. We all know that you, Ryan Bamford love West. He's a Try Hard basketball player, a sport you played in college, but a trait that has zero correlation to being a good QB. We've all seen that West is not a D1 QB, and when Bell puts him back in the game instead of Michael Curtis, Jared Palotta, Josiah Johnson, or freaking John Smallberries it's tells all of us that our head coach is a big, hairy ******. Yes a BHP who is too stubborn to admit when he is wrong. Because we all know if Curtis or whoever came in the game and did well it would prove that Bell f'd up and made a mistake to start the season and god knows the little Mr Culture can't have that.

So our new coach proved to all of us today that he'd rather fail than be proven wrong and that is a recipe for failure. Walt Bell is Bob Diaco with a worse resume. Same perfect hairdo, same bullshit platitudes, but a southern accent and a worse coaching history. Congrats Ryan, we're f'd."

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:45 pm

I’m out for this year. It’s dreadful, and the thought of having to sit through this crap show week after week makes me throw up a little in my mouth. I have not given up yet on Bell and I knew this year wasn’t going to be great, but this is far, far worse than I expected. If anyone says they expected it to be this bad, they are lying. Hockey starts 10/11.
Last edited by 78 on Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:08 pm

Two nights ago, we got home around 12:15 a.m., after the King Crimson gig @ Wang, followed by a late Chinatown dinner...
Mrs. SM mentioned that we haven't seen much wildlife on our road lately; and, there, along the side of the road, near our driveway, was a possum.

We got back from the Suzy Bogguss C&W gig at the Bull Run about 25 minutes ago. Mrs. SM brought up the wildlife again as we turned onto our 1.3 mile country road. I suggested the unlikelihood of another possum, especially having not seen one in months prior to Thursday.
Sure enough, there was one in the road a half mile from our place. Mrs. SM wondered if it was the same one.

I said it was obviously the same one, from the Possum DA's office, coming to inform us that UM has been playing possum for four weeks ... without a license.

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:45 am

In regards to Coach Bell, it is idiotic not to give the guy at least a few years to see if he can turn this ship around. That said, since our defense is so bad he needs to can the hurry up offense. We need to kill the clock as much as possible and start calling more running plays. Curtis should have been and should be the starting QB. For next year at the position he needs to find both an incoming freshman for the future and a grad transfer who can start next year.

For those of us who need something to grasp onto; San Jose State, one of the worst programs over the past few decades, just won at SEC Arkansas.

kd68
Junior

Post by kd68 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:13 am

I think must of us have no choice but to hope he turns the program around. Right now the program is an embarrassment losing badly to non power house teams. We do have a decent recruiting class coming in, if Bell can retain it, so we should see some improvement next year.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:55 am

To be fair, Coach Bell needs more time to recruit and implement his system before we can determine his ability to successfully run this program. My only question is, if you don't have the talent or depth to run what you want, why do coaches ( not specifically UMass') radically change things when they come in instead of gradually transitioning things until the pieces are in place? I understand with 2 very different styles its likely impossible timewise to probably teach the system, but it almost seems detrimental to the program to be getting smoked every week. The fanbase is dwindling, I'm sure the players hate it, and its really just tough to watch.

I know football is a different animal than other sports, but is it that much more difficult to use what your strengths are during your transition to minimize these blowout losses? Serious question for those that know more than I do
Time to Win

Carl Spackler
Junior

Post by Carl Spackler » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:59 am

kd68 wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:13 am I think must of us have no choice but to hope he turns the program around. Right now the program is an embarrassment losing badly to non power house teams. We do have a decent recruiting class coming in, if Bell can retain it, so we should see some improvement next year.
Lifelong fan and alum....love the hint of optimism in this post.....but I am highly skeptical/doubtful....this would require the holdovers from this team and a bunch of incoming true freshman to improve the results.....I doubt it.
I think we’ll likely have more talent based on the upcoming recruiting class ranking, but most of these kids will not be ready for FBS football....at a quality program most would probably take a redshirt. I know we have a few Juco kids that will probably be ready to come in and help right away but to me this is another 2 or 3 years away (assuming a second strong recruiting class next year) from seeing tangible results.

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:26 am

Floyd wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:55 am My only question is, if you don't have the talent or depth to run what you want, why do coaches ( not specifically UMass') radically change things when they come in instead of gradually transitioning things until the pieces are in place?
They implement the system that they know. The coaches they know and hire as assistants are likely to have worked in the same systems they have. The traits they look for in recruits are likely to reflect those required by the system that they know.

Maybe the onus should be on administrators for hiring someone whose system is going to make the transition very tough. But maybe that's in their best interest because the fanbase is essentially forced to give the new coach time ("he needs his guys") and if the previous coach didn't work, it's not a great look to "do the same thing over and over and expect different results". :roll:
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:32 am

McKinney wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:26 am
Floyd wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:55 am My only question is, if you don't have the talent or depth to run what you want, why do coaches ( not specifically UMass') radically change things when they come in instead of gradually transitioning things until the pieces are in place?
They implement the system that they know. The coaches they know and hire as assistants are likely to have worked in the same systems they have. The traits they look for in recruits are likely to reflect those required by the system that they know.

Maybe the onus should be on administrators for hiring someone whose system is going to make the transition very tough. But maybe that's in their best interest because the fanbase is essentially forced to give the new coach time ("he needs his guys") and if the previous coach didn't work, it's not a great look to "do the same thing over and over and expect different results". :roll:
Disagree to a degree. Transitioning to the spread once the same way we are now almost destroyed the program. Whip do not implement his program fully year one. He was smart enough to incorporate aspects of the previous style, albeit with totally new terminology. In hoops, even DK, who was not a master x and o guy pulled back when he realized he didn’t have the bodies or talent to do what he wanted. McCall did the same. Both Molnar and Bell refuse(d) to tailor their play calling and schemes to fit the talent. Also their talent evaluations are suspect. I am glad Ally stayed, but I wonder what was pushing him out from Whip? Why I’d Bell want him back? Was it purely a numbers issue? Or did he see or does he now see something good?

Jack
Senior

Post by Jack » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:49 am

Meanwhile, Whipple's Pitt Panthers just knocked off #15 UCF. Bottom line is that we are committed to Coach Bell for now but at some point we should expect to see some glimpse of actual improvement on the field. Thus far we have not seen it and its to be expected that fans are questioning the merits of hiring Coach Bell. Hopefully Coach Bell gets it turned around but blaming the fans for not enjoying watching blowouts is absurd.