future scheduling talk

Get ready for some MACtion
McKinney
Senior

Re: future scheduling talk

Post by McKinney » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:35 pm

MJatUM wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:48 pm find me somewhere that records the actual football attendance and I will take your bet.
I think WSJ is the only non-FOIA source for scanned attendance. UMass had 32,606 in 2017 (announced 51,448).

https://www.wsj.com/articles/college-fo ... 1535634001

This is pure speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised if schools fudged basketball numbers too. There's not a 15k minimum like in football, but maybe you can get better sponsorship deals if you say you have greater attendance.
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:56 pm

MJatUM wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:48 pm How did my comment possibly sidetrack to the freaking hoops team opening (incorrectly) against WNEC.

My point is a win in week one is far from a guarantee against ANY FBS school. If anything I would think we'd have a better shot in week one than later in the year. Also my point was: a guaranteed win in week one makes little if any impact on future attendance figures as we saw last year. And if you want to do the attendance bet, find me somewhere that records the actual football attendance and I will take your bet.
Listen here you propaganda machine, who post incorrect info straight out your head.
You posted this inaccurate gem and you want me to convince you. I don't need to convince you but show up and challenge you when posting your inaccurate stuff against football. We never played at Fenway or Gillette in 2018 and yet this came right from your key strokes.
MJatUM wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:42 pm Those Football numbers are a) doctored and b) severely skewed by several Gillette games and a Fenway game.
Url from the post
http://www.umasshoops.com/newboard/view ... 3&start=15
Go UMass!!

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:56 am

McKinney wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:35 pm
MJatUM wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:48 pm find me somewhere that records the actual football attendance and I will take your bet.
I think WSJ is the only non-FOIA source for scanned attendance. UMass had 32,606 in 2017 (announced 51,448).

https://www.wsj.com/articles/college-fo ... 1535634001

This is pure speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised if schools fudged basketball numbers too. There's not a 15k minimum like in football, but maybe you can get better sponsorship deals if you say you have greater attendance.
Without the 15k minimum for sold tickets idea, hoops gives a lot of tickets away. I think hoops reports how many seats have been sold, given out and probable student attendance to sell advertising. If they are fudging numbers and reporting attendance in the 2000, they are bad at fudging.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:39 am

All teams fudge numbers to some extent. Why is this even being debated?
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:45 am

Steve, see McKinney's post directly above yours. I don't understand the debate. I can't go back to whatever I was talking about in MARCH but obviously if I was referencing several Gillette games it was about attendance numbers over the (likely many) years.

I have been one of 3-4 thousand people in McGuirk and they have reported closer to 10k. It is a pretty indisputable fact, again see McKinney's post, that the football program highly inflates their attendance numbers. Sorry if this offends you. It is not propaganda, it is not incorrect info - but it may be directly from my head. My eyeballs are in my head after all.

You obviously have a hair across your ass for me since that post in March, which is fine, but it might surprise you to know that despite being a basketball season ticket holder I have been to more football games the last few years than hoops games. I want the football program to succeed very very much as I think in some ways the fate of the entire athletics program for the 2020's will be tied to football. I am (obviously) a pessimistic fan, particularly about football because frankly they have been a complete embarrassment since making the jump.

mdogt12
Hall of Fame

Post by mdogt12 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:03 pm

https://www.sicemdawgs.com/2019/08/geor ... schedules/
UMass getting $1.9 million to play at Georgia in 2025.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:51 am

I will happily do the Penn State and Georgia trips again!
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:00 am

MJatUM wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:45 am Steve, see McKinney's post directly above yours. I don't understand the debate. I can't go back to whatever I was talking about in MARCH but obviously if I was referencing several Gillette games it was about attendance numbers over the (likely many) years.

I have been one of 3-4 thousand people in McGuirk and they have reported closer to 10k. It is a pretty indisputable fact, again see McKinney's post, that the football program highly inflates their attendance numbers. Sorry if this offends you. It is not propaganda, it is not incorrect info - but it may be directly from my head. My eyeballs are in my head after all.

You obviously have a hair across your ass for me since that post in March, which is fine, but it might surprise you to know that despite being a basketball season ticket holder I have been to more football games the last few years than hoops games. I want the football program to succeed very very much as I think in some ways the fate of the entire athletics program for the 2020's will be tied to football. I am (obviously) a pessimistic fan, particularly about football because frankly they have been a complete embarrassment since making the jump.
The move to 1A was necessary, embarrassment or not. I reference an article many years ago: "UMass crosses the Rubicon". It said that UMass makes more money as a terrible 1A football team as opposed to a good 1AA team. Just look at Georgia game to be played. We get $1.9 million vs a 1AA team they are also playing who gets $500,000.

Does UMass have a tough row to hoe playing FBS football? of course. Will we ever make a bowl? who knows? we have no bowl tie-ins as an independent. But most importantly, we are making a ton of $$$$ and our academic standing has never been greater!!!!

And outside of the first 2 years with Molnar, this team hasn't been an embarrassment. We haven't been good, but 4-8 hasn't been embarrassing.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:30 am

ZooMass84 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:00 am

Does UMass have a tough row to hoe playing FBS football?

HA! That's great. Love the farming reference.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:07 am

ZooMass84 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:00 am
MJatUM wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:45 am But most importantly, we are making a ton of $$$$ and our academic standing has never been greater!!!!
Not really making tons of money. Increased revenue and increased spending.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:14 am

lol why is quoting so hard on the board?

minutefanjsf wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:07 am
ZooMass84 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:00 am But most importantly, we are making a ton of $$$$ and our academic standing has never been greater!!!!

FightMass, I believe, reported the department turned a profit this past year.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:52 am

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:14 am lol why is quoting so hard on the board?

minutefanjsf wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:07 am
ZooMass84 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:00 am But most importantly, we are making a ton of $$$$ and our academic standing has never been greater!!!!

FightMass, I believe, reported the department turned a profit this past year.
Fat fingers. iPad. Didn’t want the whole quote. I agree that FBS is the right move and not a money drain lie FCS. Turning a profit is not the same as making tons of money, and the goal is to lower the reliance on school funds, which hasn’t happened, yet. A profit based including high subsidy from the school is better than losing money, but outsiders and naysayers don’t call it profit until the subsidy is gone or football revenue allows the program to pay the school back for its investment.

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:09 am

Almost every sport loses money, include basketball. Hopefully basketball will get back on track.
Go UMass!!

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:56 am

minutefanjsf wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:52 am
Fat fingers. iPad. Didn’t want the whole quote. I agree that FBS is the right move and not a money drain lie FCS. Turning a profit is not the same as making tons of money, and the goal is to lower the reliance on school funds, which hasn’t happened, yet. A profit based including high subsidy from the school is better than losing money, but outsiders and naysayers don’t call it profit until the subsidy is gone or football revenue allows the program to pay the school back for its investment.

I understand that. Pointing out that the department made money last year, is all.

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:24 pm

In case everyone didn’t notice, Syracuse played AT Liberty on Saturday. They have a three-year deal, with the next two years at Syracuse. Syracuse is still a team that UM needs to play on a regular/often basis.