Let's Eat, Again

Whatever else you wanna rant about.
SignMan
Hall of Fame

Re: Let's Eat, Again

Post by SignMan » Thu May 02, 2019 1:25 am

Back to Filho's (Phil-E-OZ's)...

We have been back there several times since last posts about it...

Last night was a special event night there...
Their first wine and cheese tasting.
Mr. & Mrs. SM were in attendance, along with nine others.

Seven cheeses and wines, carefully purchased and presented, cheeses by restaurant manager, Rick the cheeses...
a wine rep from Martignetti's (wine distributor/no longer retail stores, although they continue to retain those licenses) presented the paired wines.

They carefully presented explanation of what, why, origins, aging (cheese and wine) was outstanding.

Cheese was all purchased locally, available at Wegman's in Burlington, Idylwilde Farm in Acton, and Spring Brook Farm in Littleton.
(SM does some of our food shopping at the latter two).

The cost was $30 pp, including tax.
Dinner after was optional, but all of us were well sated after the wines and cheeses, enough to forego more food.

I continue to recommend Filho's Great Road, Acton...
near the Concord line, Rt. 2A, not far off Rt. 2, via the Concord Rotary...
or ... exit Rt. 2 @ Rt. 27, head N about a mile and bear right at the memorial obelisk, drive about a mile to the end, turn right on 2A, and it will be on your left, a little past Colonial Liquors on your left.

We also recently indulged in Italian fine dining in the N. End. Daughter and boyfriend were in for the Marathon, his first time running Boston... we took them to Bricco's on Hanover Street. Excellent meal, albeit much pricier than Filho's Great Road. They also went back to Hanover Street for a meal at Nico's, which they described as delish...though...even more $$$.
The angle of incidence = the angle of reflection: REBOUND!

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:58 am

Frogmore
Centre St., JP
http://thefrogmore.com/#home

Plans to see another Ronnie Earl concert at the Bull Run last night changed after the gig was postponed a month due to an illness.

Opportunity knocked.
Lo text me re: seeing me before returning home, so I headed to Boston to take him out for dinner.
With typical traffic, I checked the internet and found several places nearby on Centre Street...
hadn't eaten there in a couple of years; and, there are a lot of small, very good, ethnic food options...
Dominican, Ethiopian, other Latin and more.

However, I found Frogmore online and opted to go there; first time...
Very pleasant surprise.

The area is very nice...
Maybe the cleanest part of Boston; obviously, ++ neighborhood pride...
add free parking on the street or a small off street city lot near the restaurant.
cars stop to let people cross...
very nice.

You can eat inside or outside at the Frogmore.

However, it was the food that was a really pleasant surprise...

I ordered the smoked ribs and Lo the pork chop.
Both were excellent with nice presentation.
7 good size meaty ribs with little fat and a terrific rub for flavor.
includes home made slaw and pickles and choice of one side...I had the very nice corn bread...

The only glitch was a waitstaff misunderstanding when we ordered.
Lo's entrée was not put in, so his was delayed quite a while...
Apology accepted, and very impressed when the bill came and his re: the mixup, was not charged...

$17 & $19 for the entrees.
Bottled beers $3/$4.

will definitely return with Mrs. SM, especially after she tries the ribs I brought home.

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:54 am

What Makes a Restaurant Great?

We were back to Filho's Great Road, 2A in Acton, Saturday nite, sandwiched between going out to see Judy Collins Friday nite and Gladys Knight last nite...both excellent shows with lovely "older" women still with great voice(s).

We called ahead 15 minutes and our table was ready upon arrival, even though it was pretty much a filled table time...

Waiter Hans was A+ as always...he takes pics of the specials and shows his diners them ... great idea.
Hans expressed his concern, that we had not been there to eat in ... in maybe a month.
The last time, with a new server, we felt a couple things needed to be addressed...I brought them to manager Rick's attn., as he wants it to be, and, apparently, the Staff took heed.

Hans thought that just maybe, knowing of the to-be-tweeked service last time, we would not be back there...
Perish the Thought!

He showed us pics of the two specials we did order and split, lighter eaters we...
A scallop Appetizer and a pasta...a Bolognese entrée extraordinaire...the pasta was like a thicker spaghetti, which was very tasty...
The sauces there are fab...seriously perfect meal.
Perfect meal, perfect service, perfect amount of food for us...

Hans was also serving an adjacent table extended for maybe 10 in their party, served them well and never missed a beat with us.
When our dishes arrived, together, as requested, Hans, waiting on the other table, instructed the more novice server who brought our dinner, to bring us an additional two plates because we were sharing.

The two dishes totaled about $35...
add drinks and a shared dessert...$74 with tax...

OC posted re: his A+ experience @ Filho's Great Road...
We continue to highly recommend it, and, if time, check out the W. Concord Five and Ten, one of three left in EMASS...owned by Hans' step-father, Maynard, who is a UMie.

Next review sooner.
Three excellent dining experiences on the Outer Cape and Lower Cape

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:55 pm

Do Billy and Jenny know about you? :D

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:01 pm

Seriously, when are we getting Signman segment as part of Dirty Water TV or Phantom Gourmet?

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:25 am

^ ^^
Mrs. SM keeps telling me to do a food blog...

I tell her I love you guys too much to take away this exclusive.

on to Cape Cod

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:53 am

Primarily for the Outer Cape with a side-trip barely into the Lower Cape...
Recent visit.

I will review and recommend three of the four fine dining restaurants I made advanced reservations for (recommended)...
Locations: P'town, Wellfleet, Orleans; in order that we ate at each.

Mews, Commercial Street, P'town, Sunday night 7 PM reservation.
after shopping at Chameleon, women's clothing, nearby Mews...we were first recommended, a few years ago, to go to Mews by a gentleman who works at Chameleon. As always, the lovely Mrs SM found beautiful dresses (3), fitted and perfect for petite sizes; which, of course, eliminates most of our cross-dressing posters from considering shopping there. The owner, lady my age +1, from NYC, summers @ P'town and spends 4 months/yr in Bali, where she has clothes custom made for her store, $reasonable...just $177 for all three this time.
...Just a hint to take your better half there sometime during the store-open months. I seriously must consider taking Mrs SM shopping ...
in Bali.

Our arrival greeting @ Mews was outstanding. The gentleman at the reception podium greeted us, with eager expectation, by name, and insisted we deserved..."must have" ... a window table facing the water...
There is a reason why we often get the royalty treatment upon arrival at certain restaurants, new and repeat...unfortunately, I cannot give away all my secrets...

We started with a shared goat cheese, berries, nuts salad, beautifully prepared for the eyes, whetting the appetite and delish. One duck entrée, other from the sea... excellent presentations, cooked to perfection, nice wait staff service; no complaints...
$95 including the food, drink and tax, pre-tip.

SM posters tip:
Recommended by THE SM...

next: PB Boulangerie, Wellfleet

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:22 pm

Before my current review of PB Boulangerie, perhaps the best place we have ever eaten, may I suggest (required reading) your perusal of the complete website...
http://www.pbboulangeriebistro.com/bistro.html

If you are a gourmet, peruse, then salivate...

If you are a burger jointer, the McD's @ the Ayer Rotary Drive Thru is 24/7...

Hopefully one or two of you read the Mews post, then had a healthy lunch today...

Gotta get you in shape for the Fall/Winter sports seasons ahead.

(comparing me to some TV foodies, duh, thanks for the thoughts, but fried foods, et al, generally not on our plates).

Kick the frieds and sodas as a starter towards better health...

m626t
Hall of Fame

Post by m626t » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:48 pm

Menu looks enticing, however a quite a bit out of our travel radius for lunch or dinner. Regretfully, Worchester is usually our easternmost destination to eat.
Last edited by m626t on Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All due respect, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, I'm gonna pass.

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:24 pm

^
maybe not obvious, but we do not drive to the Outer Cape just to eat...
minimum is a long weekend; and, then, not that often...

The only day trip I recall that far onto the Cape was when I ordered custom caps to give Monty Mack (post playing career). There used to be a shop in P'town diag across from Spiritus, where the thin sliced pizza is legendary...a must for every pizza lover to try at lease once in their pizza-eating lifetime.

If you can stretch the drive a little more, I strongly suggest Filho's Great Road in Acton for the Italian and
the Bull Run Restaurant in Shirley.

Call ahead 1/2 hour for Filho's, or even try asking Mgr Rick for a reservation.
Tell him recommended by Ed & Ann Marie.

Bull Run... I prefer the 1740 built Taproom, where the bar is. The adjacent Tavern 2nd, if Taproom unavailable...also 1700s...original beams, wide pine flooring, etc.
Reservations accepted...
Worth it if just for the pizza and the burgers...superb...
The homemade sausage on the pizza is a must, however else you have it...
The starter hummus is excellent...
Tell Alison & George...Guercio family owner and husband who does the gigs planning Ed & Ann Marie recommended...they will appreciate it.

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:14 am

We, Mr. & Mrs. SM, ate @ Frogmore, in JP, Saturday night...
Her 1st time there; my 2nd, previously with Lorenzo about 6 weeks ago.
Frogmore did not disappoint.

7 PM reservation...
no traffic issues with about a 55 minute drive for us.
Free parking on the street was pretty much filled up, but a small municipal lot just off Centre Street, tucked between three deckers, had several open spaces...free and visible signage from the street...a one minute walk to Frogmore...

Pub-like atmosphere...
Good service...
Good food...
Good prices...
Good size portions...

I got the pork ribs, as my first time, except, as they explained, different kind of ribs...
this time it was 4 extremely large meaty ones...delish...I had just 2 and brought the others home, which, with Mrs. SM's take home from her entrée, made another dinner at home & a lunch for me.

She opted for the fried chicken. We normally avoid fried foods, but decided to try it at this southern style restaurant...
Huge portion of very nice very large pieces of boneless breast meat in a metal bucket, with three choices of sauce...
enough to take home what we could not finish and make with the ribs for a dinner...in addition, I had more of it more my lunch here yesterday and enough is left for one more lunch for me.

Each of these entrees was $18...and included a side...good choices there...

Drinks were beer for us...
Three limited bottled beers available @ $3 each...
Rotating draught choices...about 10 of them...
We had the Alligash White ... probably 16 oz.
$6.50 ea for those.

The area is funky and safe...very diverse...
barber shops, including one very busy with Carib type music and flashing lighting chairs...
A Tailor shop next to it, open well past 8 PM...
so, you could go in to JP for a nice dinner along with a zipper repair job ...

We will return in time.

I want to try one of the many ethnic places in the area...
Ethiopian restaurant, The Blue Nile...which gets very good reviews...

May the gastro gods serve you well...

A Toast
to my Poster foodie readers!!!

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:25 am

Let's call this one a proverbial "Hidden Gem."
https://www.littleharborlobster.com/

I was in Marblehead Friday.
After finishing up at my ophthalmologist, with a dilated pupil on a very sunny day, I was looking for a place nearby to get a great lobster roll.
Found Little Harbor Lobster online, with great reviews, save for a few foodie dissidents, and decided to try it.
1.8 mi from my appt.

It is tucked into an area that could be difficult to find without GPS, unless you are familiar with the old town section there.

I banged the critical right into the Little Harbor (very little) area and found one of the few spaces to park.
There are two buildings there, one the Lobster place and a marine shop...an interesting building to look inside up to the 2nd floor with the ladder like walk up to the "attic" area.

If you go to the Lobster place, and need a bathroom, there is a very clean one on the second floor just mentioned. It is marked Women...not sure if there is a Mens...maybe somewhere else...

Outside "Lobster" there are about four Adirondack style chairs, two plastic and two extremely weather beaten wood...
That is all the seating there.

A good alternative would be to take the food and enjoy the surrounds very nearby @ Fort Sewell; or for the scarier among you, one of the two cemeteries you probably passed a tad before getting there...good old seamen burial grounds to visit.

Used to go there decades ago when we lived in Lynn, sometimes on my bicycle.

Nice friendly lady at the "Lobster" answered my Qs very well.

The lobster roll was $23 Friday and I would say the best one I have ever had, and there have been many at many different locations.

It was all about the lobster meat (of course)...
They fresh shuck it and give you 6 oz of the choicest parts...
in a locally baked roll, with just enough mayo...no fillers like lettuce and celery...

Lobster Perfect, IMLO...

A Sign Man Let's Eat must try!

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:53 am

Sorry to hijack Ed's thread but need to put this somewhere. Another Amherst "Old Standby" bites the dust. I spent quite a few evenings there when it was "The new place in town". Rafter's, Charlie's (OTT) and now The Pub.

https://www.gazettenet.com/Amherst-rest ... s-31441166

PintOGuinness
Junior

Post by PintOGuinness » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:18 pm

69MG wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:53 am Sorry to hijack Ed's thread but need to put this somewhere. Another Amherst "Old Standby" bites the dust. I spent quite a few evenings there when it was "The new place in town". Rafter's, Charlie's (OTT) and now The Pub.

https://www.gazettenet.com/Amherst-rest ... s-31441166
Damn, this one hits close to home. Big sorority girl hangout in the late 80s.
Word to your motha!

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:00 pm

Hoping all of you, whether gourmets, meat & potato guys and gals, or can-openers are
"Let's Eat." Again and Again...

We are restricting ourselves to mostly nearby places and outdoor dining...
Primarily at the oft-told by me Bull Run in Shirley, which features outdoor live music Fridays and Saturdays as well as Wed nites this month
...and Filho's Great Road in Acton.
We have been to the Newbridge Café in Chelsea twice; two days ago after a graveside-only funeral for my wonderful 94 year old first cousin just a mile away in Everett.
Excellent food at all three places.

SM the Chef has been at it, as well...
The charcoal will be lit in a few minutes for a nice organic split chicken breast dinner, cooked to SM perfection...the only way.

Recently, I have made elk burgers, an organic pheasant sausage stir fry, and ... drum roll ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDtRvGspRp4
camel sloppy Joe's...
!st time for camel here... Mrs SM was skeptical, but it was not only delish, but the best meat to have that way...
low fat, low cholesterol, polyunsaturated fats only and very tasty...