Virgin Islands, August 2019, exhibition trip

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Re: Virgin Islands, August 2019, exhibition trip

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:15 pm

NilesGold wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:03 am
FWIW, McCall and UMass MBB in total has been much more active on social media than his predecessor were. They've done a lot of marketing this Summer alone.

Sorry I missed this. You're absolutely right, they've been great so far on Twitter, FB and IG, from both the UMass Basketball and the Matt McCall accounts. That's part of what makes this situation so strange.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:19 pm

Shame on us for actually wanting to maybe see a clip or two of our guys playing, or wanting to see a box score without having to search for the Virgin Islands News. And if we are looking for info, then we all have pitchforks and are after McCall. Now to be honest, McCall is going to get two more years regardless of what anyone here wants or thinks. I'm still in the give the guy a chance mode, but continue to scratch my head over the way things are done with this program, and the coddling that seems to come from the AD. As far as social media and promoting the team, sure, we saw several videos of kids lifting weights and pulling a truck and a few brief practice videos...that's good, but some of the few of us remaining who actually are interested in the program, would like to see a little more more. I think The OFFseason has proven he knows as much or more about this program and what's going on than the rest of us here combined, and I'm going to stick with him.

As far as McCall complaining about having to deal with social media etc., that's the real world today.

Women's team just finished up its final game in Portugal: https://umassathletics.com/news/2019/8/ ... 9_2vYyi9ro
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

TheOFFSeason
Senior

Post by TheOFFSeason » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:54 pm

JoleonLescottsHair wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:23 pm
NilesGold wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:03 am
78 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:31 pm

It's called marketing the program to generate fan interest. And when the program sucks, that's a key part of the job. I didn't mention Twitter in my post, but whatever. It's just amazing how piss poor men's basketball is marketed versus the other sports I mentioned.
FWIW, McCall and UMass MBB in total has been much more active on social media than his predecessor were. They've done a lot of marketing this Summer alone.
It doesn't matter. That reality goes against what some here appear to need. People 'deserve to know' and/or want their opinions of MM confirmed. That about covers it. This is perhaps the dumbest thread ever. Non issue turned into silly entitled rants.

Part of this, if not all, seems to be aimed at me so I will spell out why I think it does matter and the discussion isn’t dumb:

1. In his first 2 years, and possibly at his last stop, McCall has struggled with many different parts of being a HC. This past spring he was coerced into making changes to some things other than himself and with that came new players that he most likely(definitely with regards to Tre Mitchell)would not have gotten had things stayed the same. This spring and summer he had an opportunity to make changes to his approach...communicating, being a better leader, relationships with people in and outside the program...these are things that I have either personally seen or have been told by people with access that I trust. He has a little insecurity and/or paranoia. This game information blackout leads me to believe that he hasn’t made the changes in himself that needed to be addressed. There is no absolute that this is true but I can’t recall any other team doing this.

2. If I recall, you do not live locally but follow the team from a distance...last year for the first time since Lappas I did not have one person ask me for tickets...I had few people ask me about the team in any way at all except at the end when a few asked if the coach would be fired. With the changes that were made and the players that have been brought in, I have had people this summer asking me different things about UMass Basketball. Now this trip wasn’t going to sell season tickets or even register with the most casual of fan but it was an opportunity, as you can see by this thread, to reward the diehards and catch the attention of basketball fans that aren’t necessarily attending games the last few years. You can promote Tre Mitchell having 27 and 15. While Bamford said ‘let’s be honest, winning brings people’...he might’ve said, ‘let’s be honest, more people helps winning’ and we have some new players that you have got to see, along with one of the top returning scorers in the conference.

This board is about discussing UMass basketball which we all invest in to some degree...this topic is very relatable to the team. I think it goes without saying that if the team does well then in hindsight this will be trivial but if the team struggles this attitude could play a small part in that.

Having said all that, the character and chemistry of this years team is night and day and the culture has changed from everything I am being told.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:23 pm

78 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:19 pm Shame on us for actually wanting to maybe see a clip or two of our guys playing, or wanting to see a box score without having to search for the Virgin Islands News. And if we are looking for info, then we all have pitchforks and are after McCall. Now to be honest, McCall is going to get two more years regardless of what anyone here wants or thinks. I'm still in the give the guy a chance mode, but continue to scratch my head over the way things are done with this program, and the coddling that seems to come from the AD. As far as social media and promoting the team, sure, we saw several videos of kids lifting weights and pulling a truck and a few brief practice videos...that's good, but some of the few of us remaining who actually are interested in the program, would like to see a little more more. I think The OFFseason has proven he knows as much or more about this program and what's going on than the rest of us here combined, and I'm going to stick with him.

As far as McCall complaining about having to deal with social media etc., that's the real world today.

Women's team just finished up its final game in Portugal: https://umassathletics.com/news/2019/8/ ... 9_2vYyi9ro
Nobody is shaming anybody for wanting information, I would love to see some clips as much as anyone; but there is a reason for this and as of right now, we don't really know what that is other than a Bamford "kind of" reason.... And MM is not complaining about social media so much as he is trying to figure out how to best drown out the noise that comes from it - and he is not alone in that struggle.

The short response to all of this pomp and circumstance is real simple - if it was Belichik and Kraft doing this right now, you all would be 100% on board with a "media blackout". Like i said - it feels to me like there are more than a few here who would like to see MM move on sooner than later and hand it over to TB. Any reason to get uptight about anything......

We (UMass) are not just going to roll out a coach who will knock out 24 win seasons and NCAA games overnight. The guy inherited a fucking train-wreck, and regardless of why or who may or may not have pushed him, McCall made some pretty substantive changes after last season. For that reason alone, I am 100% in support of this guy; and until his methods and these changes are proven to be a failure I am OK with however he wants to handle this situation.

MM could stand on the street corner and kiss every fucking baby and hand out 9,600 free tickets per game and if they suck, they will still only get 2,300 per game. If he wants to spend less face time with the fans and more time trying to get his team playing better then more power to him........ win and they will come

"When you are in the show and you have moldy shower shoes, you are a character; however, until then it just means you are a slob" - So what does that mean.... Win some games and he will be the belle of the ball with the media and fans; until then you are just Charlie Brown's teacher....

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:31 pm

eldonabe wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:23 pm

The short response to all of this pomp and circumstance is real simple - if it was Belichik and Kraft doing this right now, you all would be 100% on board with a "media blackout".

Terrible comparison. The NFL machine would be promoting the hell out of it.

Also, I really don't understand where you're getting this whole replace McCall with TB thing. I realize you need to defend the hell out of him due to your stance on the previous coach, but I don't think there is this overwhelming wave of people/support to can McCall. You're grasping at straws trying to claim that as a connection to why people are upset with the lack of GAME content from this VI trip.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:02 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:31 pm
eldonabe wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:23 pm

The short response to all of this pomp and circumstance is real simple - if it was Belichik and Kraft doing this right now, you all would be 100% on board with a "media blackout".

Terrible comparison. The NFL machine would be promoting the hell out of it.

Also, I really don't understand where you're getting this whole replace McCall with TB thing. I realize you need to defend the hell out of him due to your stance on the previous coach, but I don't think there is this overwhelming wave of people/support to can McCall. You're grasping at straws trying to claim that as a connection to why people are upset with the lack of GAME content from this VI trip.

No it is not a terrible comp..... it is not NFL vs CBB, it is much simpler than that. If Umass (and those who run them) was on a run like NEP is, nobody would be complaining about this nonsense. It would just be - "MM being MM" can't wait for the regular season....

My defense of MM has nothing to do with my stance on the previous coach. I see a guy who really is passionate about this place and trying to win games and that is all. I will support that until it is proven he is just not the right guy for the job. If you recall - which you clearly don't, I supported DK the same way when Walberg got the boot.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:02 pm

Also, I really don't understand where you're getting this whole replace McCall with TB thing.
Yeah, I don't see that either.
This whole thing has just turned into a negative thing, not a good way to start off a new era for the team. Thats maybe the point
Time to Win

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:10 pm

Floyd wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:02 pm
Also, I really don't understand where you're getting this whole replace McCall with TB thing.
Yeah, I don't see that either.
This whole thing has just turned into a negative thing, not a good way to start off a new era for the team. Thats maybe the point
Floyd - it is nothing blatant at all. It is just a vibe I get. I am not the only one who feels this way.

We just need it to be November 1st - but lets keep the August 22 weather!

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:12 pm

eldonabe wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:02 pm

No it is not a terrible comp..... it is not NFL vs CBB, it is much simpler than that. If Umass (and those who run them) was on a run like NEP is, nobody would be complaining about this nonsense. It would just be - "MM being MM" can't wait for the regular season....

My defense of MM has nothing to do with my stance on the previous coach. I see a guy who really is passionate about this place and trying to win games and that is all. I will support that until it is proven he is just not the right guy for the job. If you recall - which you clearly don't, I supported DK the same way when Walberg got the boot.

It is a terrible comp. If the NEP weren't doing well and went on a trip like this, it would be promoted to all hell because of the NFL. This flat out wouldn't happen at that level, whether the team was good or bad. Awful awful comparison.

And great, we're on the same page in supporting this guy. That doesn't change that you're still grasping at straws regarding this supposed overwhelming wave to can him/replace him with TB.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:16 pm

Fair enough eldon. I just don't see the animosity towards MM that others might. Honestly, and I am guilty of it, people that love and follow the program just want to see the team, new players, and staff in action.
Thats really it in a nutshell for me. No other agenda
Time to Win

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:18 pm

Floyd wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:16 pm No other agenda

Of course you don't have an agenda. That's the reality of it... none of us do. We just want to see/hear/follow how they are playing, as we have in previous off season trips.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:35 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:12 pm It is a terrible comp. If the NEP weren't doing well and went on a trip like this, it would be promoted to all hell because of the NFL. This flat out wouldn't happen at that level, whether the team was good or bad. Awful awful comparison.

Jesus Fucking Christ you are dense - it is not a comparison of the NFL and CBB.

In simplest terms - if Umass and MM were on a tear like Belichik and the Pats are on - MM and BM would not be taking as much (if any) flack over how they are handling this AVI trip. :roll:

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:39 pm

eldonabe wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:35 pm

Jesus Fucking Christ you are dense - it is not a comparison of the NFL and CBB.

In simplest terms - if Umass and MM were on a tear like Belichik and the Pats are on - MM and BM would not be taking as much (if any) flack over how they are handling this AVI trip. :roll:

What part of "That wouldn't happen with Belichick and the Pats" do you not understand? It's not an NFL vs CBB comparison. It just wouldn't fucking happen and is a terrible comparison. Nevermind the fact that BB is always a pain in the ass to the media and CONSTANTLY gets ripped for it. Dumb dumb dumb.

But hey, more than a few people want McCall canned so obviously you're the correct one here! :roll:
Last edited by InnervisionsUMASS on Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:41 pm

This thread is becoming increasingly more difficult to read, but somehow I still do it.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:46 pm

69MG wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:41 pm This thread is becoming increasingly more difficult to read, but somehow I still do it.

That's going to happen when things go from questions on why there's no promotion of and information on the overseas trip to "OH MY GOD EVERYONE WANTS MCCALL FIRED!"

:lol: :wink: