Umass and UConn Conference USA

Get ready for some MACtion
jpatsfan
Junior

Umass and UConn Conference USA

Post by jpatsfan » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:20 pm

This is a rumor cannot be verified but an article I am posting below links UMass and UConn to the east division of Conference USA. Needless to say that UConn going to the BE has dramatically changed things for UMass.

https://collegesportsmaven.io/tmg/api/a ... ssion=true

m626t
Hall of Fame

Re: Umass and UConn Conference USA

Post by m626t » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:10 pm

Would this be better than an all sports conference except ice hockey and maybe lax? Probably yes, for now.
All due respect, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, I'm gonna pass.

Sheck
Hall of Fame

Post by Sheck » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:56 pm

Anything this Blaudschun guy writes needs to be taken with a truckload of salt. Not happening.

https://fansided.com/2019/06/24/mac-con ... -football/
#maction 🚩#flagship

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:36 am

Agree about Blaudschun and noting the fanside link was UConn by itself and not a tandem of UConn and UMass.
Go UMass!!

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:36 am

Boy, talk about interest impact and far-away colleges. http://conferenceusa.com/standings.aspx ... h=football

Who wants these schools as 'rivals'?
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:22 am

^

It's not like we have rivals now anyways.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

photoman
Senior

Post by photoman » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:53 am

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:22 am ^

It's not like we have rivals now anyways.
C'mon. Are you somehow discounting all the history and pageantry of our games with FIU?

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:43 am

photoman wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:53 am

C'mon. Are you somehow discounting all the history and pageantry of our games with FIU?

Maybe.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:23 am

Blaudschun is a miserable hack..... Connecticut version of Ron Chimelis....

That article made me laugh out loud a couple times..... Like saying UConn "made a serious run" at P5. If you call begging and pleading a serious run then fine, I guess. They never sniffed a P5 because the P5 never sniffed them. They were a pawn in the Big 12 conversation at best.

They tried a strategy, which was throw money at this and it failed miserably; they could not do the other half which was win some games. The men winning the NC with Ollie was an anomalie at best - he won that with Calhoon's recruits. They are going to be a bottom feeder in the BE for at least 2 more years, and that may kill the basketball program for a long long time.

And nobody (except in the state of CT) gives a flying fuck about women's hoop except for 2-3 weeks in March.

The question is - can Umass capitalize on this (Can UConn Capitalize on this)? Is UConn smart enough to realize they may actually need Umass now as a way to generate some local interest and truly rekindle a rivalry that may get more than local attention. They have to play each other in football now. Will that whiny fuck want to play us given his exposure to us at URI or will they just keep beefing up on Quinnipiac and Fairfield and Central CT state every December?

While I can at least see why UConn avoided Umass in the 90's, that was a very near sighted decision. BC was not going to hold the state for more than that blip when they had Flutie and a few decent basketball teams when Williams was there; and the region was/is too big for just one team to carry it as you really need a regional rival(s) for TV and competition. THAT is where Uconn fucked up. UMass and UConn could have walked arm-in-arm into a P5 bringing with it the entire NE base and super hot rivalry that would put eyes on the TV. Instead Uconn got greed and selfish, and the circle has now completed itself as Uconn has really put itself into a corner with no P5, a mountain of athletic debt, and a pathetic football program.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:02 am

Best part of the UConn situation is that they can't do a damn thing about it, and its getting worse!!! CT is a crappy little state with rapidly declining tax revenues. Pretty soon the CT legislature will have to do some major cuts.

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:20 pm

^ I laughed out loud reading this tweet directly after reading the post above:

Jon Rothstein @JonRothstein
10 minutes ago
UConn's arrival in the Big East (20-21) coincides with when Dan Hurley was in position to make the Huskies an NCAA Tournament caliber team; his third season. The buzz is officially again palpable in Storrs.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:26 pm

A take from the MAC side of things, with a bit from AAC (Navy) as well.

https://www.toledoblade.com/sports/coll ... 0190625157
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:12 am

I have said all along that we need to be paired with UConn and no I have not abandoned B1G dreams(see below).. That said what I would like to see is a football indy alliance of

UMass
UConn
Temple
Navy
Buffalo
Army
Liberty (Liberty could be national powerhouse in all sports in 20 years.. the non Catholic ND if you will)

The look at adding:
a second Mac (one of N. Ill, Miami, Ohio)
East Carolina
Old Dominion
Cincy (if they get snubbed by Big 12 when they expand after Texas leaves)
Memphis (ditto)
Wichita State for other sports

If not then add A10 schools; (Dayton, VCU, and Rhody) The only other schools I would consider beyond those 3 are Saint Louis and Davidson.

UMass needs to get away from the likes of St Bona, Duq, St joe, Lasalle, Fordham, and GW).

Big Teb thoughts..

Money talks so I truly believe we will see 15-20 schools break away including Ohio St, Michigan, and Penn St. maybe Wiscy. I could see a revamped B1G (West: Northwestern, Nebraska, Minn, Iowa, Purdue, Indiana, Illinois East: Michigan St Rutgers, Maryland, UMass, UConn, Pitt, Cincy, Temple

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:13 am

stevemaz wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:12 am I have said all along that we need to be paired with UConn and no I have not abandoned B1G dreams(see below).. That said what I would like to see is a football indy alliance of

UMass
UConn
Temple
Navy
Buffalo
Army
Liberty (Liberty could be national powerhouse in all sports in 20 years.. the non Catholic ND if you will)

The look at adding:
a second Mac (one of N. Ill, Miami, Ohio)
East Carolina
Old Dominion
Cincy (if they get snubbed by Big 12 when they expand after Texas leaves)
Memphis (ditto)
Wichita State for other sports

If not then add A10 schools; (Dayton, VCU, and Rhody) The only other schools I would consider beyond those 3 are Saint Louis and Davidson.

UMass needs to get away from the likes of St Bona, Duq, St joe, Lasalle, Fordham, and GW).

Big Teb thoughts..

Money talks so I truly believe we will see 15-20 schools break away including Ohio St, Michigan, and Penn St. maybe Wiscy. I could see a revamped B1G (West: Northwestern, Nebraska, Minn, Iowa, Purdue, Indiana, Illinois East: Michigan St Rutgers, Maryland, UMass, UConn, Pitt, Cincy, Temple
Steve Maz...........no more LSD, thanks

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:11 pm

I'm done being amazed when anyone on this board advocates for Liberty University. I guess for some folks it is football "uber alles". If you are now scratching your head, just use google news to get educated.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."