The "Oh, What If" team

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
bobolink
Senior

Re: The "Oh, What If" team

Post by bobolink » Fri May 31, 2019 9:04 pm

tom mclaughlin wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 7:53 pm Always wondered what would have happened if Julius stayed for his Senior year. He would have been unstoppable and taken UMass to a top ranking and put UMass on the national stage. He would have done for UMass what Larry Bird did for Indiana State.
He probably would have ended up as a Boston Celtic. I knew Red Auerbach wanted him because he told Bob Woolf that the Celtics wanted Julius and couldn’t take him if he left early. Too bad would have been fun.
what ifs for UMass hoops have to note that the 2 players most of us would call UMass's greatest both left before hoped-for (but not expected) senior seasons. Would a UMass team led by senior Julius Erving and featuring Al Skinner, coached by Jack Leaman, be the greatest UMass team of all time? Would it have been eclipsed by a team led by senior Marcus Camby with Coach Calipari?

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Fri May 31, 2019 10:20 pm

tom mclaughlin wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 7:53 pm Always wondered what would have happened if Julius stayed for his Senior year. He would have been unstoppable and taken UMass to a top ranking and put UMass on the national stage. He would have done for UMass what Larry Bird did for Indiana State.
He probably would have ended up as a Boston Celtic. I knew Red Auerbach wanted him because he told Bob Woolf that the Celtics wanted Julius and couldn’t take him if he left early. Too bad would have been fun.
Julius and Al would have been your teammates. The 70-71 freshman team was undefeated so Rick Pitino and Peter Trow would’ve been on the varsity too. Methinks UMass would have been to the Dance.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

Junior

Post by 5150 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:24 am

Jimmer Fredette, who SLAM magazine called one of the best college basketball players of all time, had UMass down to his final two choices if I remember correctly.

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:30 am

5150 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:24 am Jimmer Fredette, who SLAM magazine called one of the best college basketball players of all time, had UMass down to his final two choices if I remember correctly.
Reminds me of an old-school quote, “ Two choices, slim and none and slim just left town!”

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:01 pm

bobolink wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 9:04 pm .....what ifs for UMass hoops have to note that the 2 players most of us would call UMass's greatest both left before hoped-for (but not expected) senior seasons. Would a UMass team led by senior Julius Erving and featuring Al Skinner, coached by Jack Leaman, be the greatest UMass team of all time? Would it have been eclipsed by a team led by senior Marcus Camby with Coach Calipari?
Assuming a similar scenario (final four and/or championship game appearance), the Calipari team probably would have been considered better mainly because of the increased tv coverage, higher profile media scrutiny, and likely a tougher schedule. But wow, a game between the two teams would have been amazing to see.

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:19 pm

I am watching the 95 elite 8 game. I forgot how banged up we were.

Marcus, DK and Lou were playing hurt. Padillia was out, Travieso started. Williams off the team, if I remember correctly.

That was my favorite team. Oh, if only...
Refuse To Lose!!!

chapter 11
Junior

Post by chapter 11 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:31 pm

Two words from 1995: Big Country.

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:14 pm

chapter 11 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:31 pm Two words from 1995: Big Country.
Yeah dude, seriouly. He was the man. I get it. But we could have won that game in November. Depth.........

We need more UTube videos of UMass.
Refuse To Lose!!!

chapter 11
Junior

Post by chapter 11 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:10 am

J- I agree the 95 team was fun to watch and tuned in. The uniforms grew on me too.