Who will not be back next year?

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.

Who will not be back next year?

Poll ended at Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:22 am

Baptiste
1%
Chatman
4%
Clergeot
1%
Cobb
17%
Diallo
1%
Hayward
9%
Laurent
2%
McLean
12%
Pierre
1%
Pipkins
18%
Turner-Morris
14%
Wood
4%
McCall
2%
One or more ass't coach
13%

Total votes: 169

UMassHoops
Senior

Re: Who will not be back next year?

Post by UMassHoops » Sun May 05, 2019 7:42 am

^ Agree. KTM wants to be here and I'm glad he is. He wouldn't be the first big man to have a quiet couple years and then emerge as a viable contributor as an upperclassman. He's got the physical tools and size, I'm an optimist on KTM next year.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sun May 05, 2019 9:30 am

UMassHoops wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 7:42 am ^ Agree. KTM wants to be here and I'm glad he is. He wouldn't be the first big man to have a quiet couple years and then emerge as a viable contributor as an upperclassman. He's got the physical tools and size, I'm an optimist on KTM next year.
If KTM is in shape and injury free this year that will allow us to bring in a developmental big like Maidoh and have him redshirt. As others have mentioned, 1 or 2 redshirts this year will spread out the classes a bit and also keep the pressure off to get 13 guys minutes.

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Sun May 05, 2019 9:47 am

I missed on KTM and Laurent. I thought KTM would move to a lower level where his size alone might help him more than it does currently. I thought given Laurent’s longer history with McCall and the fact that he already transferred once might keep him around.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

UMassfan_19
Senior

Post by UMassfan_19 » Sun May 05, 2019 9:59 am

KTM has potential to be a solid big however he must stay healthy. When ever I see him on campus he looks hurt

Battle Ax
Junior

Post by Battle Ax » Sun May 05, 2019 10:11 am

UMassfan_19 wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 9:59 am KTM has potential to be a solid big however he must stay healthy. When ever I see him on campus he looks hurt
LMAO.

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Sun May 05, 2019 10:17 am

UMassfan_19 wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 9:59 am KTM has potential to be a solid big however he must stay healthy. When ever I see him on campus he looks hurt
I guess we may have different definitions of the term “solid big” — just not sure I see it with KTM at this level. I think he’s more of a “in case of emergency break glass” 12th-13th man kinda player. And that’s fine — every roster needs those players, especially if they bring a good attitude with them.

Injuries certainly have hampered his development I think, but I also think that while he has size, his lack of athleticism really hurts him at this level and he’s also not the most aggressive big I’ve ever seen.

Would be happy to be proven wrong though. He sounds like a good kid and he wants to be here. That counts a lot in my book.

UMassfan_19
Senior

Post by UMassfan_19 » Sun May 05, 2019 10:31 am

Jackson96 wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 10:17 am
I guess we may have different definitions of the term “solid big” — just not sure I see it with KTM at this level. I think he’s more of a “in case of emergency break glass” 12th-13th man kinda player. And that’s fine — every roster needs those players, especially if they bring a good attitude with them.

Injuries certainly have hampered his development I think, but I also think that while he has size, his lack of athleticism really hurts him at this level and he’s also not the most aggressive big I’ve ever seen.

Would be happy to be proven wrong though. He sounds like a good kid and he wants to be here. That counts a lot in my book.
My idea of solid is like djery baptiste level of competition. I always thought he brought good energy in both sides of the floor crashed the glass well. I think he is the type that can give you a solid 5 minutes off the bench. I do think his injuries have set him back a ton

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Sun May 05, 2019 10:41 am

Yeah different definitions but it’s just semantics I guess. When I think solid, I think consistent night-in, night-out contributor. I think with both those guys — Baptiste and KTM — at times they can give you solid minutes, but it’s the consistency that’s lacking. Both guys have been around long enough that at this point for the most part what we’ve got is what we’ll get. I think of them as more serviceable than solid. I don’t think either one of them would be playing major minutes on a winning team at our level on up.

Again, would love to be wrong though.

capezona
Hall of Fame

Post by capezona » Sun May 05, 2019 10:53 am

Jackson96 wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 10:41 am what we’ve got is what we’ll get.
I think this basically sums it up.

Roadtrip
Hall of Fame

Post by Roadtrip » Sun May 05, 2019 12:43 pm

Yeah, I see it as a battle between KTM and Baptiste as to who gets the backup minutes. Still hoping for that 3rd big for a young, developing 4/5 rotation.

UMassHoops
Senior

Post by UMassHoops » Sun May 05, 2019 1:49 pm

I learned to not underestimate any guys with examples like Tony Gafney and most recently CJ. KTM may remain a deep bench guy or he may emerge as a front-line solid starter. Kids at that age develop at different paces and can surprise you. A lot depends on his health and how hard he works in the off season. Having a lot of experience in McCall's system will help him also. I won't be surprised either way.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sun May 05, 2019 2:14 pm

Only one left to find a landing spot, Unique McLean.
Jeff Goodman
‏Verified account
@GoodmanHoops
23s23 seconds ago
More
Oklahoma State has landed UMass grad transfer Jonathan Laurent, he told @Stadium. Averaged about 10 points per game this past season.

TheOFFSeason
Senior

Post by TheOFFSeason » Sun May 05, 2019 3:07 pm

UMassHoops wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 1:49 pm I learned to not underestimate any guys with examples like Tony Gafney and most recently CJ. KTM may remain a deep bench guy or he may emerge as a front-line solid starter. Kids at that age develop at different paces and can surprise you. A lot depends on his health and how hard he works in the off season. Having a lot of experience in McCall's system will help him also. I won't be surprised either way.
KTM was slowed this year by being too heavy...unfortunately, from what I understand, it was MM that wanted him to bulk up for this year.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sun May 05, 2019 3:21 pm

He's a bigger kid naturally, wonder why they'd want to bulk him up more. I noticed he was thicker this past season, not surprised it may have contributed to his injuries. I think if he was a little lighter and quicker he could provide some decent depth. Not a bad defensive player
Time to Win

capezona
Hall of Fame

Post by capezona » Sun May 05, 2019 3:24 pm

69MG wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 2:14 pm Only one left to find a landing spot, Unique McLean.
Jeff Goodman
‏Verified account
@GoodmanHoops
23s23 seconds ago
More
Oklahoma State has landed UMass grad transfer Jonathan Laurent, he told @Stadium. Averaged about 10 points per game this past season.
Has Cobb been picked up?