Looking Ahead to the 2019-2020 Season

Talk UMass Hockey. Home of the 2021 National Champions!
CarsonL726
Freshman

Looking Ahead to the 2019-2020 Season

Post by CarsonL726 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:25 pm

Unreal run by the guys this year. With this amazing season now in the books, one thing we can do to pass the seemingly endless time that is the offseason is talk about how the team will shake out for next year. Cale is obviously gone, along with Boeing, Keats, and Pritchard, but I think (and hope?) that we can expect most of the team back. For forward lines and D pairs, that leaves (based on the lines to end this season):

Chau-Gaudet-Chaffee
Trivigno-Lagunov-????
Leonard-????-Hildenbrand
ADG-Suter-????

MDG-????
Ferraro-Farmer
McLaughlin-Felix

Incoming, it seems that we have the following guys for sure coming in...

Forwards: Jeremy Davidson, Reed Lebster, Ryan Sullivan, Peyton Reeves, Eric Faith
Defense: Zac Jones, Gianfranco Cassaro

Then there are the following names that still appear to be committed but I haven't seen or heard much about recently (maybe someone else [FTT? Marshmont?] can confirm their status)...

Forwards: Marko Reifenberger, Alex DiPaolo, Khristian Acosta
Defensemen: Jayson Dobay

Bobby Kaiser, who was pretty effective in limited action at the beginning of the season, will also be back. And, given the success he has had with grad transfers the past two seasons with Rufo and Pritchard, there is always the possibility that Carvel goes that route again too.

So, with these seemingly the options to work with, my best guess as of today would be something like this for lines and defense pairings:

Chau-Gaudet-Chaffee
Trivigno-Lagunov-Leonard
Lebster-Davidson-Hildenbrand
ADG-Sullivan-Kaiser

Ferraro-Farmer
McLaughlin-MDG
Jones-Felix

These D pairs would provide a little more balance in terms of one offensive-minded defenseman and one more stay-at-home guy. If Carvel wanted to keep the McLaughlin-Felix pair together as a third pairing, could use MDG-Jones as a pure offense pairing as well. I think Ferraro, assuming he stays, will explode next year.

Going with these lines, that leaves the following names as scratches: Suter, Mika, Faith, Reeves, Bozzo, Vegara, Cassaro

There is also obviously the possibility that we see some unexpected departures, whether to the NHL or kids leaving due to an expected lack of future playing time, etc. Sounds like we are one of the finalists to land Gunnar Fontaine too, a forward who would presumably be coming next year and would be a big get. So we will see what happens there. All in all, there is a lot to look forward to next year, and I would love to see any thoughts y'all have on the future roster composition, or any thoughts in general on the 2019-2020 season. Go UMass!

m626t
Hall of Fame

Re: Looking Ahead to the 2019-2020 Season

Post by m626t » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:47 pm

^
someone has done their homework. Thanks Carson.
All due respect, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, I'm gonna pass.

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:10 pm

College Hockey News shows us with 12 guys coming in next year. I don't see any way that happens. Adding Kaiser, who missed most of the season, that makes 13. I am confused about Fontaine, isn't he already committed to RPI? We essentially have 5 spots to fill with Makar and Chukarov leaving on D and Pritchard, Keats and Boeing up front. I can see another 2-4 guys leaving the program, which will open up 7-9 slots. It's going to be extremely interesting to see the final results, but I expect an exciting and highly competitive team next year. Here's the link to CHN's recruting page.

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/ ... /d1/0/conf
Last edited by 78 on Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:28 am

^^^ Great work. I don’t know how his regular season went, but after not playing for a couple of weeeks, Mika was part of the best line Saturday night and played well in a National Championship game, something many did not. Things like that can sometimes turn a guys career around...

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:36 am

From another thread. Carvel expects 5 recruits and Kaiser.
Re: 2018-2019 Season
Post by 69MG » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:53 pm

Not sure where to put this so this is as good a place as any. Went to the weekly sports luncheon today. Brock Hines and Coach Carvel were the speakers. Two comments by Carvy caught my attention.

1. He was asked about Mario's chance of returning. He said Mario wasn't ready for the NHL and thus far San Jose agrees. He expected him back unless San Jose has a roster shakeup on D and they feel they need him.

2. He was asked about the recruits he has for next year. He mentioned 3 forwards and 2 defensemen. I don't recall the name, but he raved about one of the D men. He has 50 points in 50 games.

CarsonL726
Freshman

Post by CarsonL726 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:22 am

78 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:10 pm College Hockey News shows us with 12 guys coming in next year. I don't see any way that happens. Adding Kaiser, who missed most of the season, that makes 13. I am confused about Fontaine, isn't he already committed to RPI? We essentially have 5 spots to fill with Makar and Chukarov leaving on D and Pritchard, Keats and Boeing up front. I can see another 2-4 guys leaving the program, which will open up 7-9 slots. It's going to be extremely interesting to see the final results, but I expect an exciting and highly competitive team next year. Here's the link to CHN's recruting page.

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/ ... /d1/0/conf
Yea I don't see any way we can bring in 12 new names without significant unexpected departures. And regarding Fontaine, he de-committed from RPI in March.

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:38 am

"I don't recall the name, but he raved about one of the D men. He has 50 points in 50 games."

The defenseman is Zac Jones. I believe this has been mentioned somewhere in this forum.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

Puffton 280
Sophomore

Post by Puffton 280 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:40 am

Great write-up, Carson.

Wanted to add that for defense, there is also Ryan Bliss, who joined the team mid-year from Cornell, but did not play (due to injury, I believe). I think he has one year of eligibility left, but I could be incorrect.

CarsonL726
Freshman

Post by CarsonL726 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:53 pm

Puffton 280 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:40 am Great write-up, Carson.

Wanted to add that for defense, there is also Ryan Bliss, who joined the team mid-year from Cornell, but did not play (due to injury, I believe). I think he has one year of eligibility left, but I could be incorrect.
Thanks! And yes of course, forgot about Bliss. Hopefully he is healthy enough to contribute next year.

Kieron
Freshman

Post by Kieron » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:58 pm

Had this phrase in my head since for a while and it popped back into my head yesterday - Too much time on I-90 and probably not enough sleep over the last few weeks :-)

The future is bright - The future is Maroon and White

And, yes, I know its hokey but its truly how I feel right now about the hockey program in particular and UMass Athletics in general. One swallow doesn't make a summer, but if there's not a lot of turnover on the squad, I think Carson's assessment is bang on. But I could see some of the regular healthy scratches (Bozzo, Vergara, Suter and Mika are the obvious candidates) looking to move on since there's going to be a log jam at some positions and they may lose more of the little playing time they got.

Is it October yet?
The Future is Bright - The Future is Maroon and White

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:20 pm

Couple of things:

This is probably the most accurate recruiting site available for D1 hockey. However, they have Zac Jones coming in in 2020 and that is clearly wrong. There could be another guy or two, but only time will tell. http://collegehockeyinc.com/commitments.php

As for Bliss, I have it on pretty good authority that he will never take the ice for UMass. Too many injuries that took too long to heal. Hope this info is wrong, but heard it from several good sources.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:42 pm

^ Regarding Bliss, Carvel has stated in public that it's not likely that he plays. He mentioned that Bliss is a good player and a good kid so it was worth a shot.

CarsonL726
Freshman

Post by CarsonL726 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:21 pm

Another guy I think could have a big bounce back year is Chau. His numbers this year were a step down from his freshman year, but he had some health issues early on and was bounced back and forth between the first and third lines a lot this year. I think if he takes his permanent spot back next to Gaudet and Chaffee we see him at least match his freshman numbers, if not exceed them.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:38 am

A much easier ride to the regionals in 2020 (If you live in Western Mass). Make your plans now! :D :D :D
The NCAA Division I Men’s Ice Hockey Committee has announced the host sites for the 2020 and 2021 Division I Men’s Ice Hockey Championship regionals.

For 2020, the East regional has been awarded to the Times Union Center in Albany, New York, and will be hosted by ECAC Hockey on March 28-29, while the Northeast regional will be held March 27-28 at the DCU Center in Worcester, Massachusetts, with Holy Cross serving as the host

baseline47
Senior

Post by baseline47 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:24 pm

78 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:20 pm Couple of things:

This is probably the most accurate recruiting site available for D1 hockey. However, they have Zac Jones coming in in 2020 and that is clearly wrong. There could be another guy or two, but only time will tell. http://collegehockeyinc.com/commitments.php

As for Bliss, I have it on pretty good authority that he will never take the ice for UMass. Too many injuries that took too long to heal. Hope this info is wrong, but heard it from several good sources.
According to the above website, this is who we have coming in for the 2019 - 2020 season.
Cassaro, Gianfranco LD 1999
Lebster, Reed RW 1999
Davidson, Jeremy RW 2000
Reeves, Peyton LW 1998
Faith, Eric LW 1998
"Drive the line!", "Baseline" Givens, Spfld. Tech. High.