Cal staying put...

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Feato
Senior

Cal staying put...

Post by Feato » Wed Apr 09, 2003 7:05 pm

MF

I'm a professional smartass.

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Wed Apr 09, 2003 7:51 pm

I wouldn't put too much faith in those Cal statements!

I think if you put them through coachspeak translation software, they come back roughly as "Show me the %$#& money!".

philosopher
Hall of Fame

Cal NEEDS to stay at Memphis

Post by philosopher » Thu Apr 10, 2003 12:17 am

IMHO, he needs to prove he can succeed at the D1 level again. His best shot is at Memphis. CUSA is a power conference. He is pitted against Huggins and Pitino for premier coach. He isn't "hot" right now. Yeah, he did well at UMass, but flopped in the NBA. I think he expected Wagner to stay for two years. He has a lot staked on Kendrick Perkins panning out to be the real deal. I think Cal needs to prove it where he is before pulling another Pitino-esque shuffle into a new venue.

NJFan
Freshman

Post by NJFan » Thu Apr 10, 2003 11:05 am

Cal will be the next coach at Kansas in my opinion. Roy jumps back to his alma mater UNC and Cal goes to the school where he was an assistant before UMass.

Fishy
Freshman

Won't happen

Post by Fishy » Thu Apr 10, 2003 11:16 am

Kansas will not even consider Calipari. If they lose Williams, they'll make a run at Bill Self.

Rocks22
Hall of Fame

Post by Rocks22 » Thu Apr 10, 2003 11:38 am

Fishy's got this one right.

And then Illinois would probably go for Tom Crean, etc. Ah, I love how the dominoes fall in college hoops this time of year.

nale
Hall of Fame

Williams will probably stay at Kansas

Post by nale » Thu Apr 10, 2003 12:48 pm

NJFan wrote:Cal will be the next coach at Kansas in my opinion. Roy jumps back to his alma mater UNC and Cal goes to the school where he was an assistant before UMass.
I also thought Roy Williams would finally take his dream job at NC but since Kansas fired the atheltic director who then
blamed the firing on Willams it looks like Willams will probably stay at Kansas.
I really hope he takes the NC job but that seems is less likely today then it did yesterday.

Here is the link
http://www.sportingnews.com/cbasketball ... 67825.html
"This is my dream job''

NJFan
Freshman

To Late

Post by NJFan » Thu Apr 10, 2003 1:41 pm

I think the firing of the AD was a desperate move, they knew they had to do anything to keep Roy but it might be to little to late, I think Coach Williams already has his mind made up to go to UNC

Fishy
Freshman

I bet he's holding off until Monday

Post by Fishy » Thu Apr 10, 2003 1:59 pm

UNC issued some press release saying that they were talking to Roy and that while it was going well, they had not offered the job to him and they expected to talk for a few more days.

Sort of strange for a school to issue that sort of press release. If I were a betting man, I would say that Roy has indeed decided to take the UNC job and is merely trying to hold off until after the weekend.

The invitations to the Wooden Award dinner this Sunday are engraved with the announcement that Roy Williams, of the University of Kansas, will be receiving the Legends of Coaching award. It'd be pretty embarassing if the new coach of North Carolina received that award.

It's sort of an Oliver Stone theory, but I'm sticking to it.

Quinn
Junior

Post by Quinn » Thu Apr 10, 2003 4:58 pm

Those same theories might answer the question as to why Cal put out his statement today. Truth is he put out feelers for the Pitt job and the response wasn't what he thought it would be. That's a fact. There could be more. He might have also spoke to people within the Kansas circles and told he wasn't a high candiate should Roy Williams leave (we've been hering Bill Self for sometime now). All that could have lead to Cal putting out a statement since he knows that neither the Pitt or KU job wanted him.

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Thu Apr 17, 2003 8:23 am

Says Cal wanted the Pitt job badly and would have taken a pay cut to get it!

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune ... 29673.html

I posted earlier that going home is a very large incentive at certain points in many people's lives. I have thought all along that Cal would have jumped at the chance had the dollars been right. This guy says he wasn't offered the chance.

Quinn
Junior

Post by Quinn » Thu Apr 17, 2003 11:28 am

Pitt blew it, regardless of Cal. Dixon might be a fine coach. But when you are coming off the season Pitt was, you have options. You can go out there and replace a Howland with another top coach. Is it the Kansas job? No. But it's not too far away. It's not like Gonzaga when Monson left. They promoted Mark Few, an excellent coach. But it was Gonzaga. You're not going to get coaches from good program sin larger conferences interested in Gonzaga. Pitt has the facilities, the money, the conference, the momentum...and they hired a guy who didn't even get an offer for the Wright St. job.

MrMiagi

Post by MrMiagi » Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:26 pm

What makes Cal such an attractive option right now? He coaches for a school in a city that couldn't wait to get Mike Tyson to come fight down there when NO other respectable outfit would even touch the guy.

He's been at Memphis three years and has one NCAA to show for it and no NCAA wins despite the fact he can basically take ANY kind of player he wants.

He bombed with the New Jersey Nets and he left UMASS under scandal as UMASS saw itself stripped of its Final Four.

Pitt had a lot of problems under Ralph Willard while he was at Pitt and Ben Howland not only won but really cleaned up Pitt's reputation to the point where even Penn State fans began to respect their program.

Calipari brings some bagage.

This guy Pitt hired has been an assitant, the players wanted him, and was part of the regime that cleaned the program up. This guy will probably bring some stability and who knows if you could have counted on that with Cal.

Pitt has worked real hard to clean up their reputation. I know some fans love Cal, but he does have some negative stuff in his track record and could be a risky proposition.

CapeCodBruiser
Senior

Post by CapeCodBruiser » Thu Apr 17, 2003 3:45 pm

Cal did not "bomb" with the New Jersey Nets. He took that franchise out of the toilet and is a large part of the current iteration of the Nets that kicked the Celtics punkarses last year. There was an ownership change with the Nets that precipitated his departure. Cal deserved every penny of the $15 million the Nets gave him. I don't have time right now but look at Cals stats running the Nets and they are not too bad. I think he lost in the playoffs to Jordan and the Bulls but extended them to a 5th and deciding game one year. I think the Celts new ownership would hit a home run if they hired Calipari here. P.S.- I hope all on this board are boycotting French and Canadian liquor products after the hideous behavior those countries displayed since the War broke out. I am pouring a Moosehead down the urinal right now. Happy Patriots Day to everyone!

Swampy
Hall of Fame

Post by Swampy » Thu Apr 17, 2003 4:53 pm

I don't have time to boycott anything right now. I'm too busy looking for weapons of mass destruction!