Should McCall be given a third year

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.

Answer the (Mc)call for a third year!
87%
Hang up the (Mc)call
13%

Total votes: 69

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:07 pm

Looking at this solely on a job performance level. I get what the contract says...
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Re: Should McCall be given a third year

Post by Floyd » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:20 pm

The line is busy, how 'bout call back later :wink:
Time to Win

JoleonLescottsHair
Hall of Fame

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:46 pm

I vote for 9 years like the previous coach got.

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:53 pm

Ooh I love it! A poll! And a poll devoid of any context! I can’t possibly love anything more than I love this! :shock:
"I wrote a column and it went national"

DTM80
Junior

Post by DTM80 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:56 pm

Yes at least 1 more with some expectations for improvement defined by his boss. Failure to meet those goals should result in his removal. A coach with a proven track record should have been hired two years back. That’s on the AD.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:59 pm

This feels like a Lappas run. He will get year three. He will not succeed to the level he aspires, but will show improvement. he will restructure his deal for year four and bet on himself to succeed.

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:33 pm

Ridiculous question at this point in time. We just blew it up 2 years ago. You want to blow it up again, now? We're near rock bottom already. Blowing it up again pretty much guarantees you another couple years of 20 loss seasons.

It's darkest before the dawn, and it's pretty damn dark right now. I have faith that things are going to show improvement next season. If not, then a question like this is less ridiculous.

tdmass
Senior

Post by tdmass » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:33 pm

Been following UMass BB for almost 50 years now and I can't understand in that time frame we've had one good coach(Leaman) and one outstanding coach(Cal) for 8 years and that's it! I can't think of one other coach in all these years that's been better than mediocre(ok maybe Ford & Bruiser but he lived off of Cal's success). You see teams like VCU,Dayton,Xavier and Butler to mention a few who lose good/great coaches and just reload and stay successful year in year out.

We either are very unlucky, have made poor decisions or most likely done both but it's been quite the eye sore!

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:32 pm

tdmass wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:33 pm Been following UMass BB for almost 50 years now and I can't understand in that time frame we've had one good coach(Leaman) and one outstanding coach(Cal) for 8 years and that's it! I can't think of one other coach in all these years that's been better than mediocre(ok maybe Ford & Bruiser but he lived off of Cal's success). You see teams like VCU,Dayton,Xavier and Butler to mention a few who lose good/great coaches and just reload and stay successful year in year out.

We either are very unlucky, have made poor decisions or most likely done both but it's been quite the eye sore!
As a mid major from what used to be the best nonP6 league, we should expect two to three years of NCAA tournament contention (might not get in all three years), one NIT and a rebuild year every five years if we want to be the class of our league. That is what Dayton has been. Butler and Xavier are in a P6 league. VCU is on a run like we had from 1990-1998. They have been excellent for about that same time period maybe 4 years more. The Bruiser firing leading to the Lappas hiring and Ford bolting are what took us off the trajectory. Bruiser was the last coach who could win in conference. That is something the four teams you listed can do regularly.

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:14 pm

MikeUMA wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:33 pm Ridiculous question at this point in time. We just blew it up 2 years ago. You want to blow it up again, now? We're near rock bottom already. Blowing it up again pretty much guarantees you another couple years of 20 loss seasons.

It's darkest before the dawn, and it's pretty damn dark right now. I have faith that things are going to show improvement next season. If not, then a question like this is less ridiculous.
I have been trying to find out what Cal's records were his first 3 seasons but so far no results. Can some of you season search hunters find out?

JoleonLescottsHair
Hall of Fame

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:18 pm

10-18
17-14
20-13

kd68
Junior

Post by kd68 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:32 pm

During his first year I seem to remember him removing two of his players (starters?),for shoplifting. There was a joke going around then that Umass led the nation in steals. I think Umass is making a mistake by keeping McCall and it is time to cut our losses. What would define an acceptable improvement for next year? Maybe not playing the first day of the tournament?

TheOFFSeason
Senior

Post by TheOFFSeason » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:37 pm

minutefanjsf wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:32 pm
tdmass wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:33 pm Been following UMass BB for almost 50 years now and I can't understand in that time frame we've had one good coach(Leaman) and one outstanding coach(Cal) for 8 years and that's it! I can't think of one other coach in all these years that's been better than mediocre(ok maybe Ford & Bruiser but he lived off of Cal's success). You see teams like VCU,Dayton,Xavier and Butler to mention a few who lose good/great coaches and just reload and stay successful year in year out.

As a mid major from what used to be the best nonP6 league, we should expect two to three years of NCAA tournament contention (might not get in all three years), one NIT and a rebuild year every five years if we want to be the class of our league. That is what Dayton has been. Butler and Xavier are in a P6 league. VCU is on a run like we had from 1990-1998. They have been excellent for about that same time period maybe 4 years more. The Bruiser firing leading to the Lappas hiring and Ford bolting are what took us off the trajectory. Bruiser was the last coach who could win in conference. That is something the four teams you listed can do regularly.
Not to pick on this as I know the point you were trying to make but VCU isn’t CLOSE to the early 90’s UMass run. They made a FF as an 11 seed that got on a run..we were #1 for the whole year...we were top 5 the previous year. The ‘92 team was better than any VCU team during this run they are on. Your point that they have been good to very good for awhile now and what we should aspire to be is accurate.

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:25 pm

kd68 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:32 pm During his first year I seem to remember him removing two of his players (starters?),for shoplifting. There was a joke going around then that Umass led the nation in steals. I think Umass is making a mistake by keeping McCall and it is time to cut our losses. What would define an acceptable improvement for next year? Maybe not playing the first day of the tournament?
And to be excited about playing Thursday instead of Wednesday at the a10 tourney is not something to get to renew my tickets.
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:05 pm

TheOFFSeason wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:37 pm Not to pick on this as I know the point you were trying to make but VCU isn’t CLOSE to the early 90’s UMass run. They made a FF as an 11 seed that got on a run..we were #1 for the whole year...we were top 5 the previous year. The ‘92 team was better than any VCU team during this run they are on. Your point that they have been good to very good for awhile now and what we should aspire to be is accurate.
I understand we were a much better team nationally than VCU has been, I was just commenting on the string of success. A lot of their success also came as a CAA team full of seniors.