Game 28, 2018-19: Dayton (2/26)

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
69MG
Hall of Fame

Re: Game 28, 2018-19: Dayton (2/26)

Post by 69MG » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:00 pm

No need to talk about the game or any of the individual performances other than Randall West. Gotta love that guy. However, two comments that MM made in his post-game interview were telling.

First, he said that not everyone on the team was thrilled after the St. Joes win. What the hell kind of team spirit is that???
Next, he said that one or more players (he wasn't specific) were late for shoot-a-round today.

If there was any doubt before, it is clearly evident now that there is a problem in the locker room. He needs to figure out who is 100% bought in, who isn't and clean house. I would rather have 8 guys who are all in than a roster of 13 that's as screwed up as this one.

I saw the comments about Holloway's eye and Diallo's knee. Neither were dressed, along with LP, KTM and Cobb, who we knew were injured. Then we lost Clergeot when he reinjured his thumb (I think that was the injury). Looked a lot like last year's roster out there. I'm still trying to decide if either Holloway or Diallo was the player who was late and MM benched him for tonight, using injury as the reason.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:32 pm

Time to stop covering for players who show up late. Bench the player(s) who were late. Call it violation of team rules but don’t make up an injury.

You don’t want to play? Have a seat.

Based on what I saw, for a guy with a knee injury, Diallo was walking easily with no visible limp.

RH wore glasses I’ve never see him wear and he was dabbing his eye with a towel.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

m626t
Hall of Fame

Post by m626t » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:10 am

The game today was brutal as everyone has said. The place was dead after the first few minutes, and even the bandies bench jockeying seemed uncharacteristically uninspired.
I'm not sure why MM runs what looks to me like the weave, on every possession that's not a fast break; is it to try and shorten the game or is the picket fence next? Gotta wonder what this season would have looked like if the team had been able to win a few of those close loses and everyone stayed healthy.
All due respect, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, I'm gonna pass.

wmmmfan
Senior

Post by wmmmfan » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:30 am

Here is the question I have, should McCall be airing the locker room situations in public or handle it internally with suspensions, little or no playing time or just out right showing the door to those who don’t exhibit what is expected of members of this team?

It just seems to me by keeping them around it has made the situation worse. Should McCall have removed the players who don’t want to be there and bring on walk ones who will bust tail and be proud to wear that uniform. I know it’s too late now but this problem has been evident for quite some time and the negative energy could have lasting implications for some of the younger players.

TheChamp
Junior

Post by TheChamp » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:10 am

All I’m gonna say is McCall is responsible for putting together most of the roster. And it’s always telling when coaches then bemoan the players they’ve compiled.

Also will point out that the main concern during the hiring process with him was that his 2nd year Chattanooga team’s locker room basically imploded mid season. All sorts of problems. Then he jump ship to us as soon as he could, riding the high of his first season, and flukey NCAA appearance with a roster that a guy named Will Wade put together. There were all sorts of worrisome reports about an out of control locker room, mutiny basically, and nonetheless the Mocs fans weren’t sad to see him go at all. Tons of guys had left and those Mocs teams were at the bottom of the Southern Conference both last year and this year. What does it say about his ability to bring in, develop, and retain talent? We’re basically seeing the same thing in year 2 here. Hate to say I told you so, but it was the biggest worry. Bottom line, just not surprised a roster full of city kids largely from the northeast aren’t going all in for some conservative Florida cat who never played a lick of college basketball, probably never even saw snow before coming to Amherst, when the going gets tough. McCall lacks identity, authenticity and conviction as a coach and it’s reflected with his teams. Bad hire if there’s ever been one. Not sure we’d be much worse is Randall West was the head coach... hey there’s an idea!

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:34 am

Thats what I worry about. There are so many new and younger players on this team and few older players so is there teally an established culture of the way things are done? The team doesnt seem very tight, so who sets the tone? Gotta get this on track now or it'll be hard to do. Wouldnt surprise me to see 6+ new guys next season

Champ, hear what you're saying about inherited roster but if you're going to rip MM for winning with Wade's guys, how can you rip him for losing with what he inherited here? Don't see a whole lot of leadership from the holdovers. Pip had a great year last season, but its been said many times on here he hates UMass, Amherst, and is gone. RH has been suspended, isn't in peak condition. Yeah MM brought in the transfers but its taken a bit of transition with them all.

Not defending MM per se, but who on this team is having a great season? Just about everyone has struggled. Yeah some of that is on the staff, but at what point do guys take some responsibility for their play? Its everybody, not just coach or players that has to be on same page
Time to Win

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:52 am

Hey its the return of The Champ! Where ya been buddy?!? You basically disappeared for a couple of years after kicking and screaming about the McCall hire and now you return to say a big “I told you so!” (and let’s be honest you do not “hate” saying that) as we hit (what I hope is) rock bottom.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

Swampy
Hall of Fame

Post by Swampy » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:00 am

What's the difference between foot stomping and/or hand clapping?
ANSWER: Lower extremities vs upper extremities. When it comes to coaching hoops, Nothing! :(

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:08 am

^^^^
I have not given up yet on McCall, but I’m about 60 percent of the way there. And, you forgot to mention how much he cares and how good his postgame press conferences are. :D
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:30 am

OK, I wasn't going to, but I'll pile on a little about the game. Walfish wrote, and I agreed, that MM was probably going to go with a bigger lineup due to Dayton's strong front line. We started Baptiste, Laurent, McLean, Wood and Pierre. There were times where Wood was guarding Cunningham down low. How is that supposed to work?

I realize that he was limited due to injuries (maybe injuries??) but I would have started Baptiste and Chatman up front along with Laurent, Wood and Pierre. He also had Baptiste on the bench for long stretches. No wonder they had 15 uncontested layups/dunks. Yes, Baptiste missed a couple of assignments as did everyone else, but he was the only guy who offered any resistance down low.

So while I put this loss 75% on the players, I'm giving 25% to the coaching staff for who they had out there.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:37 am

RH missing last night was a killer. Obviously the others that were out didn't help, but Dayton is big and physical and missing the extra big in the rotation hurt.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:42 am

The plan is supposed to be that the team plays for the name on the front of the jersey. That's clearly not happening.

As refreshing as MM's comments have been my question is...what is he going to do about it?
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:46 am

Very few players, here or elsewhere, play for the name on the front of the jersey these days. AAU has essentially ruined that. It's time to move away from that thought. It's a brave new world out there.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Roadtrip
Hall of Fame

Post by Roadtrip » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:08 am

^ And this lends itself to a thought I had. Most of these kids have had success at the high school level, without having to work very hard for it, it seems. Plus, they are living in an age of near instant gratification with the technology. It may be impossible for McCall to find kids with the dedication, passion, work ethic, and basketball fundamentals, to accomplish his goals for the program.

m626t
Hall of Fame

Post by m626t » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:15 am

^
The former Soviet Union?
All due respect, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, I'm gonna pass.