Re: 2019 Recruiting

Post by dennisdent » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:33 pm

I think this had something also to do with his firing after two years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... jTGC2vNGkM

DEM
Senior

Post by DEM » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:45 am

minutefanjsf wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:46 pm Mediocre FCS team due to coaching not talent level. They were a year removed from almost beating Michigan at the big house.
I think that's up for debate. The UMass team that challenged Michigan was Kevin Morris's second year, not his last year. His final year, UMass was a sub .500 FCS team. Whether that was because of poor coaching, poor recruiting (by FCS standards), or both, I don't know. Either way, that is basically what Molnar was starting with when he was hired, a team that couldn't crack .500 in the FCS, now going up against FBS teams.

That said, as far as Molnar,'s tenure, clearly there were other issues that went beyond recruiting or on the field performance. I'm not arguing with that.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:01 am

DEM wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:45 am
minutefanjsf wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:46 pm Mediocre FCS team due to coaching not talent level. They were a year removed from almost beating Michigan at the big house.
I think that's up for debate. The UMass team that challenged Michigan was Kevin Morris's second year, not his last year. His final year, UMass was a sub .500 FCS team. Whether that was because of poor coaching, poor recruiting (by FCS standards), or both, I don't know. Either way, that is basically what Molnar was starting with when he was hired, a team that couldn't crack .500 in the FCS, now going up against FBS teams.

That said, as far as Molnar,'s tenure, clearly there were other issues that went beyond recruiting or on the field performance. I'm not arguing with that.
That’s what a year removed means. Kmo coached three seasons. 5-6, 6-5, 5-6. In the 6-5 season UMass played Michigan. KMO had talent all three years to challenge for a CAA crown and playoff and fell short every year. The team that challenged Michigan lost 4 FCS games that year including getting smoked by UNH at Gillette. Now, I am not saying they were the most talented team, but they had heightened expectations. The 2011 team was equal to or better than the 2010 talent wise. They underperformed. Getting smoked at BC was a prime example. BC was horrible that year. That was a game many peo0le thought UMass could win. They lost at Gillette to unh but it was close. UConn moved up when they were not a powerhouse A10 team and did fine. Molnar should not have jettisoned all the FCS players.

DEM
Senior

Post by DEM » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:37 pm

Who knows. Maybe they were more talented than their 5-6 record in FCS showed, but either way, I think we can probably both agree that, as of now, the talent Bell will have at his disposal should be significantly better for any kind of offense (spread or otherwise) than what Molnar had to start with.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:04 pm

DEM wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:37 pm Who knows. Maybe they were more talented than their 5-6 record in FCS showed, but either way, I think we can probably both agree that, as of now, the talent Bell will have at his disposal should be significantly better for any kind of offense (spread or otherwise) than what Molnar had to start with.
For sure. And I assume Bell actually knows how to install a spread offense. Doyle and Wegzyn were sitting ducks back there with the fake hand off or fake pass after the play already happened. I will miss the pro style sets that Whip ran. I think it made us unique and helped kids get to the league.

KahunaK
Senior

Post by KahunaK » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:09 pm

KahunaK wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:38 am Didn't Molnar run the no-huddle offense where UMASS never got a first down and the defense was on the field 45 minutes a game?
My point here was that the UMASS defensive line was not that good with Molnar and he ignored this and ran the spread/no huddle unsuccessfully. This led to the defense being on the field for extended periods of time and they wore down in the 4th quarter. I would watch and think, slow it down, shorten the game and give your defense a rest. I fear the same thing will happen again.

UMASS loses its top two qbs, top running back, top receiver and lots of their defense. The offense is used to the pro set so they will need to learn a whole new system. On top of that, who is our qb next year? Anyone?

Molnar should have brought in 10-15 JUCO/transfers players the first couple of years. Bell should look for some more JUCO/transfers - especially a qb with experience running the spread but with 6 on the roster, this is probably not happening.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:44 pm

KahunaK wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:09 pm
KahunaK wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:38 am Didn't Molnar run the no-huddle offense where UMASS never got a first down and the defense was on the field 45 minutes a game?
My point here was that the UMASS defensive line was not that good with Molnar and he ignored this and ran the spread/no huddle unsuccessfully. This led to the defense being on the field for extended periods of time and they wore down in the 4th quarter. I would watch and think, slow it down, shorten the game and give your defense a rest. I fear the same thing will happen again.

UMASS loses its top two qbs, top running back, top receiver and lots of their defense. The offense is used to the pro set so they will need to learn a whole new system. On top of that, who is our qb next year? Anyone?

Molnar should have brought in 10-15 JUCO/transfers players the first couple of years. Bell should look for some more JUCO/transfers - especially a qb with experience running the spread but with 6 on the roster, this is probably not happening.
No huddle does not mean pace is sped up. Whipple’s proset offense played with pace to the detriment of the defense all the time. You can run n9 huddle and still run the clock down. The idea is to see the defense longer and read them.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:56 am

minutefanjsf wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:46 pm
Mediocre FCS team due to coaching not talent level. They were a year removed from almost beating Michigan at the big house. Molar was a dick and a poor talent evaluator. He wanted his guys in and only his guys. In football 21 and 22 year olds are need even if they aren’t the best. Boys vs men. Molnar was worse than dumpster fire.

We're not going to agree on this. One flash in the pan game doesn't change that the talent level on the Morris teams was way down and the program was in disarray due to his actions leading into the FBS era. He took a VERY GOOD 1-AA team and made it a VERY BAD 1-AA team in 3 years and whoever was going to take over for Morris was screwed.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:28 am

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:56 am
minutefanjsf wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:46 pm
Mediocre FCS team due to coaching not talent level. They were a year removed from almost beating Michigan at the big house. Molar was a dick and a poor talent evaluator. He wanted his guys in and only his guys. In football 21 and 22 year olds are need even if they aren’t the best. Boys vs men. Molnar was worse than dumpster fire.

We're not going to agree on this. One flash in the pan game doesn't change that the talent level on the Morris teams was way down and the program was in disarray due to his actions leading into the FBS era. He took a VERY GOOD 1-AA team and made it a VERY BAD 1-AA team in 3 years and whoever was going to take over for Morris was screwed.
I'm not trying to praise KMO. He destroyed an elite FCS program. There were a few NFL guys on those teams KMO coached. I agree the team was bad. I disagree about the talent level being why they were that bad. Granted they did not have the talent level Brown had, but it was not bottom of the barrel FCS players either. That last year they beat or hung tough with the cream of the crop CAA teams while also getting blown out by newcomers and bottom feeders. I just think Molnar didn't even assess the KMO guys and assumed that because the program had slid so had the talent.

Jack
Senior

Post by Jack » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:56 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:56 am We're not going to agree on this. One flash in the pan game doesn't change that the talent level on the Morris teams was way down and the program was in disarray due to his actions leading into the FBS era. He took a VERY GOOD 1-AA team and made it a VERY BAD 1-AA team in 3 years and whoever was going to take over for Morris was screwed.
Its a miracle... IV and I totally agree on something.... :D

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:40 am

minutefanjsf wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:28 am I'm not trying to praise KMO. He destroyed an elite FCS program. There were a few NFL guys on those teams KMO coached. I agree the team was bad. I disagree about the talent level being why they were that bad. Granted they did not have the talent level Brown had, but it was not bottom of the barrel FCS players either. That last year they beat or hung tough with the cream of the crop CAA teams while also getting blown out by newcomers and bottom feeders. I just think Molnar didn't even assess the KMO guys and assumed that because the program had slid so had the talent.

A few NFL players on the team doesn't mean the overall talent was any good. It wasn't, plain and simple. Add that in with his atrocious coaching and it was a recipe for disaster. It's a miracle they finished with the records they did in those 3 years.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

DEM
Senior

Post by DEM » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:46 pm

^
I don't remember who those players were. But in my opinion, it's reasonable to think that having future NFL players (probably recruited when Brown was HC) suggests a decent level of talent that was underutilized. However, unless I'm mistaken, Molnar did not inherit any of those NFL players, so even if no players left the team when he took over, you could argue that the talent level still would have been that of a middling FCS team.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:48 pm

DEM wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:46 pm ^
I don't remember who those players were. But in my opinion, it's reasonable to think that having future NFL players (probably recruited when Brown was HC) suggests a decent level of talent that was underutilized. However, unless I'm mistaken, Molnar did not inherit any of those NFL players, so even if no players left the team when he took over, you could argue that the talent level still would have been that of a middling FCS team.
So they were ranked in the top 25 of FCS polls to start and until the wheels came off somewhere near mid season all three years of KMO. Usually ranked for half a season, playing highly ranked FCS teams all season fairly closely in either wins or losses.

KahunaK
Senior

Post by KahunaK » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:40 pm

Any rumors on transfers to UMASS? The last recruiting class seemed a little light in numbers. I'd be surprised/disappointed to find that no one else is coming into this class.

wmmmfan
Senior

Post by wmmmfan » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:48 pm

Someone with more knowledge than I regarding transfers can confirm but I believe after spring practice is complete is when most of the transfer activity occurs.