Game 23, 2018-19: Fordham (2/6)

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Swampy
Hall of Fame

Game 23, 2018-19: Fordham (2/6)

Post by Swampy » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:38 am

Race to the bottom dogfight on Wednesday in the Mullins. :oops:

Hall of Fame

Re: Fordham

Post by 78 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:41 am

I got 2,000 for over/under attendance
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

mdogt12
Hall of Fame

Post by mdogt12 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:48 am

Should be a big ratings boost for NESN :lol:

R&G
Junior

Post by R&G » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:31 am

78 wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:41 am I got 2,000 for over/under attendance
They'll announce 2,000, but there's no way that there will be 1,000 watching that game.

tdmass
Senior

Post by tdmass » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:12 pm

^ Ah, the stench of UMass basketball gets stronger and stronger until May or so when it will subside and the optimists will shine a ray of hope!

tom mclaughlin
Junior

Post by tom mclaughlin » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:34 pm

I see what is happening and I feel awful for the players, their families and the coaching staff and their families. What they’re going thru is a nightmare and no one feels worse then they do. Believe me the players and their families read this stuff and I’m sure it hurts them. I watched Tom Brady’s hype video for the Super Bowl where he talks about playing for the jersey and all those greats who came before and then they have them speak about their dedication to the team. It seems we can learn something from this.
I may have not been a very good head coach and was young and made bad decisions, but I do have an unconditional love for the University and it will always be special to me. After coaching I had the opportunity to work alongside the legendary Bob Woolf representing some top athletes and entertainers for years and got an education on professional sports you can’t get at the Harvard Business School. In a nutshell, I experienced it all. What I did learn is that any organization needs loyalty and leadership. It’s no accident what is happening with the Patriots or what happened with the Celtics under Red Auerbach. It was also no accident what happened at UMass with John Calipari. You need luck as well as hard work and more importantly loyal fans. Look at the years of suffering the Red Sox fans endured as well as the Patriot fans. A lot of successful coaches believe in a system and come from military backrounds that teach discipline and commitment to a higher cause Bill Belichick, Greg Popovich, Mike Kryzewski, Bobby Knight.
We are doing just what UConn, Providence, BC and URI want us to do - we are being divided and we are attacking players and telling them they aren’t worth anything and the coaches can’t coach and might have been a mistake. The history of UMass basketball has always been a tough road to fight against the established schools and they always delighted in our failure. We are playing into their hands because they always think of UMass as some joke out in Amherst. Like the Patriots to a much lesser extent UMass has a rich basketball tradition that goes back to Matt Zunic, Johnny Orr, Jack Leaman and John Calipari. We’ve had greats like Julius Erving, Marcus Camby, Al Skinner, Jim Towne, Rick Pitino, Mark Donoghue, MikePyatt, Jim McCoy, Harper Williams, Tony Barbee and tons of others. Guys who always wore that uniform with pride and it meant something. For years we didn’t have our names on the back - we didn’t care - we played because we loved the game and the fans and were always proud of UMass. Jack Leaman always said “have some pride and play defense.” He would also say “either you play my way or you’re not playing” as evidenced by the fact that he threw Rick Pitino off the team for a year.
Hopefully Matt McCall’s “system” will work. To defend him he came into a less then ideal situation (there was a reason Pat Kelsey bolted) but the worse thing we can do is turn on these kids and the staff - we are panicking and making everything worse. Recruits and more so their families read all this stuff and it hurts recruiting. However, as a very proud former player and coach I can say tha UMass is a great school with great people and it’s basketball history is second to none. We have produced NBA superstars, have had nationally known coaches and have as beautiful a campus and town to experience as any university in the country. There is a reason Julius Erving and Marcus Camby decided to play @ UMass we need to get lucky and get more great players and people to come to Amherst. Enjoy the game and Go Pats!

JoleonLescottsHair
Hall of Fame

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:04 pm

Somebody please print this out and mail it to Coach McCall. This needs to be tacked on to the locker room door and read by every player. Everything that could wrong this season has and there is a hard funk that needs to be lifted (thought it might be the URI game..). But I know Coach McCall is working hard and the players care. Maybe a little reminder, like this, of what makes this school and program special might help get them back on track. If I was coaching, I'd call off practice for a day or two and tell the team to spend the time reading about UMass glory days and watching old game footage. I'd have them watch the Southern Illinois and Providence game tape. And, I'd also get Camby, Dr. J and Coach Cal on the phone to give these guys a good pep talk. Coach McLaughlin is right, don't let them divide us. Go Minutmen!

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:24 pm

Joleon,

I find your post, at best, hypocritical. You made hundreds of posts knocking Kellogg when he was coaching. Let me say I felt very strongly that Kellogg needed to go, so not a fan of his.

In addition a forum is where people exchange views and opinions. If a team is doing poorly, and players or coaches choose to read a forum, it is doubtful that they can expect to see positive exchanges.

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:57 pm

^ ^ ^
Tom. I agree with you 100%

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:03 pm

Post of the year from the Coach.

The sentiment expressed is what's kept me buying season ticket for 31 consecutive years. I'd like to think the people in the program...from top to bottom, feel this way.

Question for the coach; I'm guessing that as a former UMass coach, you've had the opportunity to meet MM. Have you had the opportunity to share your thoughts with him?
Last edited by LS71 on Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

JoleonLescottsHair
Hall of Fame

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:53 pm

vanmeter wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:24 pm Joleon,

I find your post, at best, hypocritical. You made hundreds of posts knocking Kellogg when he was coaching. Let me say I felt very strongly that Kellogg needed to go, so not a fan of his.

In addition a forum is where people exchange views and opinions. If a team is doing poorly, and players or coaches choose to read a forum, it is doubtful that they can expect to see positive exchanges.
Well, you seem to be desperately searching for a point...at best. I NEVER, NEVER suggested fans abandon the program during DK's tenure and I am not saying people should not be critical of McCall. Go for it. Hypocritical? What did you think you just read? Nowhere did I say people should not exchange views. I said Coach McLaughlin's rally cry was timely and an important reminder of our past and should be shared with our demoralized fan base and players. My post had nothing to do with DK v MM, or guarding MM from any criticism.

tom mclaughlin
Junior

Post by tom mclaughlin » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:38 pm

To reply to LS 71 and all season ticket holders. Love your support of the program and to LS 71 God Bless you for 31 years of supporting UMass Basketball. The drive to Amherst is a tough one but you’re the type of loyal fan that probably would have stood in line for hours to get into the Cage. My type of fan!
To answer your question I have met with Coach McCall and with Ryan Bamford and got the feeling they have energy and want the best for UMass. Coming from Univ of Florida Coach McCall has seen first hand a rabid fan base. Meeting those two I was impressed with their youthful enthusiasm. UMass lost a lot with the passing of Jack Leaman - he could be a calming influence for a young coach and a focal point for former athletes and fans to feel engaged. Every athletic program needs that type of stability. i do talk to a lot of former players and I feel the University needs to become more of a family - we’re all in this together. I spent time as an assistant at Stanford and Norte Dame and saw 1st hand how they do a tremendous job recognizing and incorporating their Alumni. I want UMass to be a world class University and to use athletics to showcase their student athletes in all men’s and women’s sports. We have a great story to tell and great kids.
I want the basketball players to be proud and to have a great experience @ UMass. I want them to have fun and enjoy their time in Amherst. Let them be kids and play hard and play with pride. We should support them just like you’d support your own kids if they were going thru tough times.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:12 pm

^ Thanks for answering my question, Tom.

I agree about Coach Leaman. I know his presence meant a lot to a young John Calipari. He hijacked many an interview on Mike Francesa’s WFAN radio show to extol Leanan’s greatness.

FYI...I was a student when you were. We loved going the double headers at the Cage, even before Julius came to Amherst. My roommate and I got sick of waiting in those lines so we bought season tickets for the 70-71 season, my senior year. They cost $35 each.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

Slapthefloor93
Sophomore

Post by Slapthefloor93 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:30 pm

I think we smash Fordham at home. I’m not saying this is where the turnaround starts, but I at least think we take our anger out on a definitely worse team. Yes, still definitively worse

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:38 am

Joleon,

My point here is that if it is OK to be critical of Kellogg (which you certainly were) it is just as OK to be critical of McCall. In addition a forum like this is for difference of opinions. The results of this team and the direction as to where this program is heading is definitely an area of discussion and concern.

As an FYI I travel about 180 miles roundtrip for a home game and up till 2 years ago attended 20-30 (year 1999/00) games a year since 1988. This is not of any relevance except I certainly consider myself a strong backer of this team, This is perhaps why my patience grows thin when I see the product continue to decline. 2000 fans in the stand no 'juice' in the building. If I hear the phrase 'we played hard tonight' I think I'll throw up.

I expect that they will win games this year going forward however, i feel, when the season concludes it will be one of the most disappointing since the Gerlufsen era.