Game 16 @ Dayton 1/13/19

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Floyd
Hall of Fame

Re: Game 16 @ Dayton 1/13/19

Post by Floyd » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:43 pm

Just need to be a little better with the ball down the stretch. Cant have turnovers when the game is on the line.
That said, defensively they played well. Guys were active, cutting off lanes, and helping each other. Gotta keep grinding and stick together
Time to Win

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:46 pm

Played decently think...gave up too many threes on defense and the offensive execution, while good in stretches, was still a bit disjointed. A few Dayton threes were tough shots but quite a few were wide open too. Didn’t love all of the coaching decisions but overall we hung around.

I think you dig yourself a hole, it can be exhausting climbing out of it and that’s hurting us down the stretch of these games as of late.

Some promising things to take away for sure, but also walking a line here in conference play where heads might start to hang if they don’t get some W’s...

I guess I just don’t think this team is as talented as I may have thought and a lot of the players are on different timelines.

I also think we miss a healthy Laurent.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

Slapthefloor93
Sophomore

Post by Slapthefloor93 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:58 pm

I haven’t been much of an optimist about this season, especially after some of our games in the non-con. But I thought we played great today and have for the last couple of games. If we keep playing this hard and if Pip and Carl can keep up what they found today, we will find plenty of wins when the schedule softens up between those two St. Joe’s games. Even if we start 1-4 I won’t be worried as long as we keep showing this type of ball.

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:08 pm

Encouraging game today.
Need to continue to get Pierre on the flow. He is a great shooter - must get plays designed to utilize this strength.

TheOFFSeason
Senior

Post by TheOFFSeason » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:38 pm

vanmeter wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:08 pm Encouraging game today.
Need to continue to get Pierre on the flow. He is a great shooter - must get plays designed to utilize this strength.
I have stated this same opinion a few times this year, Pierre, when utilized correctly, is almost as important to winning as what Pipkins does...he makes Pipkins a better player.

I have also felt that the rotations have caused as many losses as anything this year(I believe the rotations have hurt the shooting) and the 2nd half was much better in this department...the only exception was putting Cobb in cold while we were in a battle...if you are shortening your rotation but want to give a guy a couple minutes you can do that in the first half. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that most on here liked the effort and play of the team compared to recent games and the fact he shortened the rotation. Pick your 7 toughest players and give them 170-180 minutes.
Lastly, the team plays better when Diallo is on the floor in most cases.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:52 pm

I didn't see the game so my comments are solely from the box score. It looks like we did almost everything right. We outrebounded them by 11 and they had outrebounded the opposition 35-31 prior to this game. We only had 11 turnovers, which is very good for us. We shot 40% from 3.

For Dayton - they took 21 free throws to our 4. They were a mediocre 3 point shooting team (.318) coming into the game and went 11/19. Davis, a 31% shooter, went 6-8.

Sometimes it just doesn't translate into a win. I see Baptiste got 10 boards and 2 more blocks. He's doing what we were hoping for. If we had played like this against LaSalle the losses to SLU and Dayton wouldn't look so bad. We need to take the next one against GMU.

Badger13
Freshman

Post by Badger13 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:54 pm

Not Trigger wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:28 pm Disappointing loss but they're close to breaking out
I totally agree!!!

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:58 pm

I seem to be in agreement with most of the posts in here. It wasn't perfect, and there's room for improvement on both sides of the ball, but UMass played well today. You never want to lose, but this was the most encouraging loss they've had this season. When the players are hitting the open 3's that the offense generates, and not committing careless turnovers, the offense looks quite good.

Laurent didn't seem to be his normal self, I'm assuming it's the ankle not being 100%.

I hope Diallo continues to get a lot of minutes, even after Laurent fully returns from injury, the team does seem to play better overall with him on the floor.

I'd like to see Pierre take even more shots in the future, and that probably involves running even more designed plays for him, teammates looking for him more, and teammates not taking low percentage shots early in the shot clock.

UMassHoops
Senior

Post by UMassHoops » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:29 pm

Just watched the replay and in total agreement with most of the optimistic takes. I thought we played really well and really hard. There were stretches in the 2H where the defensive effort rose to a level that I think if carried over and sustained for the rest of league play would make us a very tough out. Pip finally played the way I've been hoping, sharing the ball, and getting guys like Pierre going. That's so critical with this team, if opponents get comfortable that Pip is playing 1-5 they defend him well, when the ball is shared Pip becomes more dangerous. Would love to see the passes made stat, not sure where you get that, compared to the previous several games. Keon had a great stretch. I think RH and Djery played hard and to the best of their abilities. If Djery had RH's soft hands he'd be a really great weapon but he plays hard and made some good defensive stops.

It's a heartbreaker to lose, we were right there, but I put this game on the plus side as far as our team, chemistry and direction. Finally the only negative note, MM is going to regret not going hard after Crutcher for a long time... he looked great.

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:38 pm

RH is shooting 1.000% for three games, but it still is not a priority to get him the ball down low. In the last few minutes, with him being guarded by a guy who couldn't, MM had him setting screens at the 3-point line on several trips. Yikes.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:10 pm

Old Cage wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:38 pm RH is shooting 1.000% for three games, but it still is not a priority to get him the ball down low. In the last few minutes, with him being guarded by a guy who couldn't, MM had him setting screens at the 3-point line on several trips. Yikes.
I couldn’t see MM when the announcers said MM was yelling at RH for making an extra pass 8nstead of going up. That didn’t make sense to me. He was doubled and made a great pass.

wmmmfan
Senior

Post by wmmmfan » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:16 am

MM yelled at Holloway because he wanted him to go up with his shot and draw a foul. Holloway is near perfect from down low and could have potentially gotten a three point play out of it. I see MM’s point but I couldn’t blame Holloway for making the extra pass.

Love Diallo’s energy and as he is getting more confidence you can see his game getting better, the shots will start to fall. He needs to work on his free throws and get stronger. He will be an a key component as his career progresses.

Much better effort today, hopefully we will continue to see more progress going forward.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:40 am

uz2b-len wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:31 pm There was an article in the Dayton paper, I think it was linked here, which featured Crutcher. So, as I said in my previous post, all my facts are rehashing quotes from Crutcher in that article. If you google around you can find Crutcher's view of the truth, which seems to be very clear that McCall ditched him with a brief cell phone call. My personal belief is that McCall drank the Bamford cool-aid and thought he'd have Kyrie Irving clones banging down the door.
Yeah, a Dayton angle from a Dayton commit, I was looking for something less slanted and more objective. Not sure I believe it was Bamford kool-aid, but the idea that McCall thought he could do better seems like the most likely, and discouraging/frustrating, explanation.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:47 am

What did you find to be slanted?
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:21 am

What certainly would make sense is that if Crutcher committed to Chattanooga it would seem very plausible that, if McCall wanted him, he would have been at UMass. While UMass is no Duke, conversely it is no Chattanooga either.